Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I admit, I haven't seen it in a long time. But there was actual plot there. There were other people for God's sake, there was discussion, dialogue, efforts to hunt the Predator without just running round the city... we saw depth to the predator, he wouldn't kill a pregnant woman....

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

thats one of the reasons i like AVP coz its shows some depth in the predators, they didn't want to kill the old guy with lung cancer,

Comment

Originally posted by jesserella View Post
        thats one of the reasons i like AVP coz its shows some depth in the predators, they didn't want to kill the old guy with lung cancer,
        I think that was more a case of he is about dead, shooting him would be a waste of ammo.

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett View Post
        I admit, I haven't seen it in a long time. But there was actual plot there. There were other people for God's sake, there was discussion, dialogue, efforts to hunt the Predator without just running round the city... we saw depth to the predator, he wouldn't kill a pregnant woman....
        True there isn't much dialogue in Predator, but it's more about the hunt, you didn't need to know about the Predator except for the fact it wanted to kill you and you wanted to live. Nice and simple a good movie if you don't want to have to think about it...if you know what I mean.

Comment

Originally posted by Bray View Post
          I think that was more a case of he is about dead, shooting him would be a waste of ammo.

True there isn't much dialogue in Predator, but it's more about the hunt, you didn't need to know about the Predator except for the fact it wanted to kill you and you wanted to live. Nice and simple a good movie if you don't want to have to think about it...if you know what I mean.
          Which would explain why you like it and I don't. I can't stand plotless movies that are about "the hunt". I like depth. I remember missing the first 2 minutes of predator the first time I saw it, and all I knew was that there was some monster in a jungle. Coulda been anything as far as I was concerned...

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Don't get me wrong I like movies with plots and complex ideas, but sometimes after being at work for 12 hours I just want to sit down and turn off, and films like Predator are much better to watch than say...minority report or somthing else that makes you have to try and work out what's happening and why.

Comment

Sorry, that was rude. (Is that what I am now? Rude and not ginger?)

*ahem*

Rereading my post I was a bit rude, what I MEANT was that I can't stand anything so simplistic. I'd take an episode of The X-Files over Independence Day any time, if you catch my drift. But I understand that sort of thing doesn't bother some people, and that's fine. It's just personal preference.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett View Post
                Sorry, that was rude. (Is that what I am now? Rude and not ginger?)

*ahem*

Rereading my post I was a bit rude, what I MEANT was that I can't stand anything so simplistic. I'd take an episode of The X-Files over Independence Day any time, if you catch my drift. But I understand that sort of thing doesn't bother some people, and that's fine. It's just personal preference.
                Don't worry I didn't think it was intentionally rude, things just come across like that sometimes on the internet.

I guess it's just what mood I'm in that dictates what kind of movie / tv programme I'll want to watch.

Comment

How was Predator II better then Predator? It had crazy-ass Gary Busey that's how! Also one of the best scenes that makes no sense in a movie, where Danny Glover tackled the Predator instead of using the spear he had in his hand.
                  All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Comment

Aliens 5 on Earth
                    Aliens 6 on their homeworld, and we kill them all.

Comment

I'd rather they set the next AvP in the normal alien movies timeline. Far into the future and not on Earth.
                      I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic
                      Click on sig to check out my fanfic gallery too!

Comment

So I just saw Aliens for the first time last weekend. And, well, I didn't like it. But that's beside the point, I was wondering what exactly was going on with Ripley in the beginning when she was explaining to the Company about what happened on the ship in the first movie. Did they believe her? Did they not believe her? Why was she stripped of her license and profession? If they didn't believe her, how come? The colonists were studying the aliens for a long time so they knew they existed. So I'm just a little confused why no one listened to Ripley that the planet was dangerous.

5th Season of Supernatural Premiering September 10th!
                        Spoiler:

Comment

Ok, to explain the plot in Aliens. Ripley is the sole survivor of the Nostromo (mining/cargo ship). She tried explaining what happened to the company heads, but they didn't believe her, as there was no conclusive evidence from the escape pod nor the fight data recorder. Although the data recorder did corroborate some of the information Ripley said (like landing on LV426) but that is all. Then they talked about Ripley for 'some' reason detonated the engines on the ship destroying both the ship and cargo that was worth millions in credits to the company. Due to the mysterious deaths of the crew, the destruction of the ship and cargo, and Ripley providing a convoluted strange story, they stripped her licence, and remanded her to psych-evaluations, thinking she was nuts and did all this. Also as they told her what she found was 'never recorded once in recorded history'. Furthermore, they were probably hiding it as it was according to Burke 'worth millions to the bioweapons division'.

Also, lv426 had colonists on the planet, as Weyland-Yutani the company had vested intrest in colonising the planet. Surveys around the colony discovered that the planet had no indiginous life on it, so they believed that it was ok to colonise. Ripley during the investigation provided the co-ordinates of the space-jockey ship to the company, and Burke messaged the colony to check out it out. So they sent out a servey team well past the 'alien range'. The survey team find the derelict spaceship from the original movie, stake a claim to it and explore it, thus getting infected with the aliens. So no, the colonists didn't know anything about the aliens, as when they tried to remove the facehugger from one of the colonists, they killed him getting off, or they killed the facehuggers in the process (as per evidence of them in the tubes).

Comment

So if the colonists found the aliens, why didn't they tell the Company? And if they did, why didn't the Company not reinstate Ripley? Or pull the colonists out? Or at least tell the colonists how to deal with the aliens since Ripley told them a lot of information about them? When Ripley saw the Aliens in the tubes, why wasn't she pissed as all hell at that lawyer guy? They said there was no evidence of her story but here it was the whole time!

5th Season of Supernatural Premiering September 10th!
                            Spoiler:

Comment

They explained it in the movie, it took 2 weeks for message to go back and forth, The Aliens had probably overrun them, in next to no time. The Marines were sent when contact with the colony was lost.
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mappalazarou View Post
                                I'd rather they set the next AvP in the normal alien movies timeline. Far into the future and not on Earth.
                                I'd rather they just try to make an alien vs predator movie an alien or predator type movie instead of a stupid teen slasher/monster film like AVP2, I left that movie thinking that the directors had wanted to make a teen-flick but got stuck with AVP2 so the tried to make it into a teen-flick. AVP wasn't great but at least if fit in well with the rest of the movies, AVP2 was just wrong on way too many levels.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X