Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm taking my poor daughter to see this. Can't wait, but she can. I sit through enough of her crap that I figure it's time she sat through some of mine. Maybe I can convert her. She's getting the X-Files movie and the Dark Knight too.

I still have to watch my copy of Hellboy.

Anyway, I love Del Toro too. The Devil's Backbone and Pan's Labyrinth are brilliant.

Comment

Originally posted by MmmmMcKAy View Post
      I'm taking my poor daughter to see this. Can't wait, but she can. I sit through enough of her crap that I figure it's time she sat through some of mine. Maybe I can convert her. She's getting the X-Files movie and the Dark Knight too.

I still have to watch my copy of Hellboy.

Anyway, I love Del Toro too. The Devil's Backbone and Pan's Labyrinth are brilliant.
      Haven't seen the first one!?

I've got it recorded from a SPACE airing awhile back, I think I might have to try and dig out the tape for a re-watch.

Why can't my mum drag me off to see X-Files and The Dark Knight?! And pay for the tickets, because that's the important part.

Good luck converting your daughter, I defy anyone not to love this character- he' a giant red guy with a gun who loves kittens for frak's sake!

Comment

Saw this today along with Journey to the Center of the Earth 3D.

We went to Hellboy II first.
        I think this is the most action pact of the comic movies out so far this year. The A plot was excellent IMHO. I was not quite as happy with the B plot, particularly one scene that went on too long (would have cringed to it anyway but then it went on long after I thought they could have cut away). Other then that one particular scene though I really liked the movie.

Well OK one other thing, and its not that I don't like this it’s just that I think they could do a better job with it. I recall them doing a better job with it in the first movie. And that’s the presence of the other agents. I really get the sense that Hellboy, Abe and Liz all care about each other, but that when the other agents die its like "shrug" just another redshirt to replace. But then when you realize how utterly useless they are, I guess that would be your opinion. I mean these are the guys backing Hellboys team up, perhaps they should be armed with something other then nine millimeters and wearing something other then black suite and tie.

Also, Liz herself was a little slow on the "I know what to do in order to help out here" in this script too. Which is odd since other then Hellboy she’s about the most powerful character. Still though when she did let loose it was pretty cool.

Anyway, all the enemies were cool (especially the wraith looking main bad guy). Hellboy was at his witty best. Abe had a suprisingly big part. They added a new character that was cool and it seemed that they set up for a third movie. So all is well in Hellboy land, I would have to rewatch the first one to say if I liked this one better or not... I know the enemies were cooler but like I said the B blot got on my nerves a bit and I think they handled the redshirts a bit better in the first.

Great movie though, I would recommend it.
        Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

It's been a loooong time since I saw the first one. I noticed it's showing on FX this Sunday evening (9/8c) and Monday afternoon (5:30/4:30c), so I set the DVR to record it.

I'll probably see the second one at a Matinee or after it gets to the dollar theater.
          It's rare that I go to a full price film anymore.
          "Science Fiction is an existential metaphor. It allows us to to tell stories about the human condition.
          Isaac Asimov once said 'Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and and philosphers of today. But the core of science fiction--it's essence--has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all.' "
          ~Grell, 'Silver/Teal'c', SG-1, 200th Episode

Comment

Originally posted by Dezdmona View Post
            It's been a loooong time since I saw the first one. I noticed it's showing on FX this Sunday evening (9/8c) and Monday afternoon (5:30/4:30c), so I set the DVR to record it.

I'll probably see the second one at a Matinee or after it gets to the dollar theater.
            It's rare that I go to a full price film anymore.
            You have a dollar theater! At both of our theaters it's full price all the time for every movie, no special matinee prices, no special Tuesday prices anymore, kids cost the same as adults now. It's ridiculous; I almost never go anymore, even to most of the movies that I REALLY want to see.

Comment

Originally posted by Trek_Girl42 View Post
              You have a dollar theater!
              Yea, it's awesome. Tuesdays are .75 and evenings are $1.50
              Just saw Speed Racer this week. Definitely worth the $2 I spent for me & my son.

Our full price theater even has a $4 Matinee which makes it affordable to see first run films.
              It's the concessions that we have to watch out for.
              "Science Fiction is an existential metaphor. It allows us to to tell stories about the human condition.
              Isaac Asimov once said 'Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and and philosphers of today. But the core of science fiction--it's essence--has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all.' "
              ~Grell, 'Silver/Teal'c', SG-1, 200th Episode

Comment

Just saw Speed Racer this week. Definitely worth the $2 I spent for me & my son.

Our full price theater even has a $4 Matinee which makes it affordable to see first run films.
                Wow.....it's $8 (CDN) a ticket here. Matinees included. Though I understand we have it easy compared to Vancouver- I heard it's like $12-15 for a movie ticket.

And I don't even visit the concession, which is of course ridiculously overpriced. I hate popcorn anyway.

Comment

Our tickets are $10 for an adult and $8(I think for a child). All day on Tuesdays, tickets are $6.99 for everyone(that's tax included). Concessions are outrageous. I never use them, just get my daughter a box of Mike and Ike at the Giant Tiger for .99 cents.

$12-$15 for a ticket in Vancouver???? Yikes!!!!!!!

Comment

You have no idea how envious I am right now.

It's almost $10 per ticket here (Toronto). My friends and I take turns paying for everyone, so on a regular outing I usually end up paying up to $40 + "amusement tax" (grrr) + concessions.

I spend more money at the theater than I really should.

Comment

Originally posted by MmmmMcKAy View Post
                      Our tickets are $10 for an adult and $8(I think for a child). All day on Tuesdays, tickets are $6.99 for everyone(that's tax included). Concessions are outrageous. I never use them, just get my daughter a box of Mike and Ike at the Giant Tiger for .99 cents.

$12-$15 for a ticket in Vancouver???? Yikes!!!!!!!
                      See we used to have child rates and youth rates and Tuesday rates and matinee rates and twonie movies.....so if you could work your schedule (or *cough* say you were a little younger) going to the movies was pretty cheap. And then they just did away with them all.

Heh. This is getting a little OT.

Comment

Originally posted by Trek_Girl42 View Post
                        See we used to have child rates and youth rates and Tuesday rates and matinee rates and twonie movies.....so if you could work your schedule (or *cough* say you were a little younger) going to the movies was pretty cheap. And then they just did away with them all.

Heh. This is getting a little OT.
                        Just a little bit.
                        sigpic
                        MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                        "...phu...ah..."
                        "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                        Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by AGateFan View Post
                          Saw this today along with Journey to the Center of the Earth 3D.

We went to Hellboy II first.
                          I think this is the most action pact of the comic movies out so far this year. The A plot was excellent IMHO. I was not quite as happy with the B plot, particularly one scene that went on too long (would have cringed to it anyway but then it went on long after I thought they could have cut away). Other then that one particular scene though I really liked the movie.

Well OK one other thing, and its not that I don't like this it’s just that I think they could do a better job with it. I recall them doing a better job with it in the first movie. And that’s the presence of the other agents. I really get the sense that Hellboy, Abe and Liz all care about each other, but that when the other agents die its like "shrug" just another redshirt to replace. But then when you realize how utterly useless they are, I guess that would be your opinion. I mean these are the guys backing Hellboys team up, perhaps they should be armed with something other then nine millimeters and wearing something other then black suite and tie.

Also, Liz herself was a little slow on the "I know what to do in order to help out here" in this script too. Which is odd since other then Hellboy she’s about the most powerful character. Still though when she did let loose it was pretty cool.

Anyway, all the enemies were cool (especially the wraith looking main bad guy). Hellboy was at his witty best. Abe had a suprisingly big part. They added a new character that was cool and it seemed that they set up for a third movie. So all is well in Hellboy land, I would have to rewatch the first one to say if I liked this one better or not... I know the enemies were cooler but like I said the B blot got on my nerves a bit and I think they handled the redshirts a bit better in the first.

Great movie though, I would recommend it.
                          Ditto on the recommending. Saw it last night and have to give it a thumb's up.

Del Toro went all out in the visuals. It was almost like watching an animated tapestry at times; if this had been in 3D I may have hid under my seat during some sequences!

The action scenes worked, but I'm partial to the fight scenes. Thankfully Hellboy gets his lickin', too; he's definitely big bad and red but not unbeatable. And the sword fight - such are dear to my heart - nicely done by Prince Wraith. Or wait, the Prince. Nicer looking than wraith, though. I actually loved the final showdown; it's a scene I'd love to dissect once it's on dvd.

Ok, the downer was that maybe, just maybe Del Toro had too much on screen at once. Animated tapestries are fine, but not one on top of the other, or even side by side. My friend thought Del Toro put parts of PAN'S LABYRINTH in the movie! The creature features were masterpieces of moving art but somehow didn't add much to the story. With the exception of the ones Big Red actually fought most were window dressing and slightly distracting. Note: the note of pathos in one early fight scene was nicely done but again, a bit of a sideline to the story.

Taken as a whole, I had fun with HELLBOY 2. The lovable wisecracking yet vulnerable spawn of the netherworld learns a thing or two, mainly he grows up. A nice touch giving Abe some prominence and he's looking more adorable than before. Liz was subdued here but I guess the storyline's reason was good enough. I love her when she flames.

Just sayin', worth the watching. Just my humble O. (Oh, NYC theater tiks are $12, although I got to see it for $11.75 - whoo-hoo!)
                          MISSION: STARGATE REWATCH 2011-2012 ENGAGED DONE!
                          sigpic
                          Beware Helen Magnus - Doctor of A$$-Kicking

Comment

I might check out the old comicbook also

Comment

i finally saw this it was awesome!! it hasn't even been out here a week yet!

anyway in regards to cinema ticket prices, i payed £7.30 for a ticket (~$13.35) plus £6.80 (~$12.50) for a large popcorn and large drink
                              Spoiler:
                              Disclaimer:
                              I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
                              Quotes!
                              - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
                              - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
                              - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by AvatarIII View Post
                                i finally saw this it was awesome!! it hasn't even been out here a week yet!

anyway in regards to cinema ticket prices, i payed £7.30 for a ticket (~$13.35) plus £6.80 (~$12.50) for a large popcorn and large drink
                                $12.50 for popcorn and a drink!? That's criminal.

*sigh* I missed it. I had to wait until I got a new job, I got one and then it disappeared from the theater literally the next day and was replaced by bunch of crappy movies. It wasn't even out here for very long! That's the third del Toro movie that I've missed in theaters due to stupid reasons!

Comment

Working...
                                X