Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sci-Fi/Fantasy Book Discussion/Appreciation Anyone..??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Towers of the Sunset by L.E. Modesitt Jr.
    sigpic

Comment

Good Omens by Neil Gaiman & Terry Pratchett

Comment

In addition to my Summer fantasy reading, I've decided to read the Farseer trilogy.
        sigpic
        Save a Man-of-War, ride a Commodore.

Comment

"Bedlam" by Christopher Brookmyre.

Ross Baker is an overworked and underpaid scientist developing medical technology for corporate giant Neurosphere, but but he'd rather be playing computer games than dealing with his nightmare boss or slacker co-workers.

One rainy Monday morning he volunteers as a test candidate for the new tech - anything to get out of the office for a few hours. But when he gets out of the scanner he discovers he's not only escaped the office, but possibly escaped real life for good. He finds himself trapped in Starfire - the violent sci-fi video game he spent his teenage years playing - with no explanation, no backup and, most terrifying, no way out...

Originally posted by bisforbee View Post
          Good Omens by Neil Gaiman & Terry Pratchett
          Apparently Pratchett and Gaiman were all for writing a sequel, "668: The Neighbour of the Beast", but they could never get their respective schedules to match up.
          sigpic
          Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
          To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
          And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Remaining in the 'Battletech' universe...

I am now reading... Warrior : Coupe... The third book in the Warrior Trilogy By Michael A. Stackpole.

I have to say that Michael A. Stackpole is one of my favourite 'Battletech' authors.
            He also wrote some of the Star Wars : X-Wing series.
            "What do you mean by 'Oopps'?"
            Team Starfist protects all. But having a fully loaded P-90 helps...
            Reality is an illusion... Created by those who cannot handle Stargate...!
            Jankowski's Rules: Rule 1: Check your Six!
            I'm not perfect. But parts of me are excellent I also cook...!
            To thy own self... Be true
            May the odds.... Be ever in your favour..!

Comment

Originally posted by Starfist View Post
              Remaining in the 'Battletech' universe...

I am now reading... Warrior : Coupe... The third book in the Warrior Trilogy By Michael A. Stackpole.

I have to say that Michael A. Stackpole is one of my favourite 'Battletech' authors.
              He also wrote some of the Star Wars : X-Wing series.
              Michael Stackpole is the Shiznit of Battletech authors.
              sigpic
              ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
              A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
              The truth isn't the truth

Comment

I am aware that there are at least 100 plus Battletech novels. Of which I have 40-45.
                And at least 12 of them are by Michael A. Stackpole.

Comment

I am aware that there are at least 100 plus Battletech novels. Of which I have 40-45.
                  And at least 12 of them are by Michael A. Stackpole.
                  He really "gets the feel" of the Battletech universe.
                  To be honest, I have not read his BT stuff in years, back when I played the boardgame, but I have very fond memories of his work. I would LOVE to see a TV series based on BT in the seccesion wars/Clan invasion period
                  sigpic

Comment

You've hit the nail on the head there. He does get the 'feel' of the Battletech universe. He sets a good scene and you sometimes feel for the characters.

There was a animated series set during the Clan invasion. I don't know if it is available on DVD. But I agree a live action series would be great. I'd like to see it set during the 'Warrior' trilogy period (3022-3030). With a seperate series/season for the Clan Invasion (3050 onwards).

Comment

You've hit the nail on the head there. He does get the 'feel' of the Battletech universe. He sets a good scene and you sometimes feel for the characters.
                      Did you ever get the chance to play it at Navy Pier in the pods?. Obviously I did not being in the wrong country, but we had "Intensity" which was a huge "arcade game" place with Battletech in the pods as well as your standard arcade games.
                      DAMN, I actually MISS it
                      There was a animated series set during the Clan invasion. I don't know if it is available on DVD. But I agree a live action series would be great. I'd like to see it set during the 'Warrior' trilogy period (3022-3030). With a seperate series/season for the Clan Invasion (3050 onwards).
                      3022-3030 would be in the Succession war period, and yeah, I would love to see it done well as a L-A show. So much rich mythology to draw from.
                      sigpic

Comment

I live in the UK. So I didn't get a chance to try out the pods.
                        The only chance I got to pilot a BattleMech was by playing a couple of the Mechwarrior PC games.

I also have some of the Mechwarrior : Dark Age novels. Which are set after the Word of Blake Jihad...

Comment

I live in the UK. So I didn't get a chance to try out the pods.
                          Now that you mention it, I'm fairly sure there was a Battletech centre in the UK. Birmingham, I think.
                          sigpic
                          Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,

Comment

If I had known about the Battletech Pods in Birmingham I would have gone and given it a go.
                            But 'RL' got in the way...

I'm wondering if the current owners of the 'Battletech' line plan to re-release any of the novels. Or even comission some new ones.

Comment

Might've been London. The Trocadero Centre maybe?

I know Alien War was there for a while.
                              sigpic

Comment

If I had known about the Battletech Pods in Birmingham I would have gone and given it a go.
                                But 'RL' got in the way...

I'm wondering if the current owners of the 'Battletech' line plan to re-release any of the novels. Or even comission some new ones.
                                Topps still owns the IP for Battletech (or at least, the rights to use it), so I dunno about that dude.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X