Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sci-Fi/Fantasy Book Discussion/Appreciation Anyone..??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finished reading "Redshirts" by John Scalzi. Fun little book, though I was that the main plot at taken longer

Haven't made up my mind about what to read next, though it will probably be "Guardian" by John Campbell.

Comment

Finished reading several books since my last post:

Guardian - John Campbell
      Ghost Story - Jim Butcher
      The Quantum Thief - Hannu Rajaniemi

They were all good reads though the last one took some time getting into.

Currently reading "Heir of Novoron" by Micheal J. Sullivan.

Comment

I am actually at a loss at what to read at the moment.
        I have so many books to choose from...
        "What do you mean by 'Oopps'?"
        Team Starfist protects all. But having a fully loaded P-90 helps...
        Reality is an illusion... Created by those who cannot handle Stargate...!
        Jankowski's Rules: Rule 1: Check your Six!
        I'm not perfect. But parts of me are excellent I also cook...!
        To thy own self... Be true
        May the odds.... Be ever in your favour..!

Comment

It was my birthday yesterday, so I treated myself to a copy of the "Dan Dare: Pilot of the Future - Space Fleet Operations Manual" written by Rod Barzilay, and illustrated by Graham Bleathman.
          sigpic
          Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
          To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
          And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

World War Z, before seeing the movie.

Comment

Originally posted by Brother Freyr View Post
              World War Z, before seeing the movie.
              Having seen the movie yesterday, I can only say don't get your hopes up.

I was quite disappointed.
              sigpic
              Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,

Comment

Maybe my expectations were lower. I knew the movie could be only loosely based on the book. (And I agree with you, the two have little to do with each other.) I entered the theater hoping only to be thrilled for an hour.

Comment

Little things bothered me.

For example, it is a physical impossibility to fly a C-130 off the flight deck of a US Navy aircraft carrier. There's simply not enough room.
                  sigpic

Comment

I read an interview with the author of the book and he pretty much said that the movie used the name of the book and just about nothing else.

Comment

Originally posted by Wyrminarrd View Post
                      I read an interview with the author of the book and he pretty much said that the movie used the name of the book and just about nothing else.
                      That's true

Comment

Went to see WWZ on Friday. Thought the movie was actually good and I was glad they changed the ending from what they previously intended.

But to keep this thread about books I´ll just say that I´m still reading "Heir of Novron", I´m about 120 pages from finishing it. Next up will almost certainly be "The Great North Road" by Peter F. Hamilton.

Comment

I see J.K. Rowling's still trying to prove she's more than a once trick pony.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-23304181
                          sigpic

Comment

What a load of BS. The book wasn't selling well so they "leaked" the info that she was the author.

Comment

I ploughed my way through "The Casual Vacancy" a couple of weeks ago, and I've honestly never read a bigger pile of crap in my life.
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Wyrminarrd View Post
                                Finished reading several books since my last post:

Guardian - John Campbell
                                Ghost Story - Jim Butcher
                                The Quantum Thief - Hannu Rajaniemi

They were all good reads though the last one took some time getting into.

Currently reading "Heir of Novoron" by Micheal J. Sullivan.
                                I loved The Quantum Thief. IMO its successor The Fractal Prince is even better. Both have interesting interweaving plots that make a complete whole by the end. Both also contain lots of bizarre concepts that aren't explained right away, so the first halves of both books are rather confusing. Also, it really helps if you speak Finnish. Even though Rajaniemi writes in English (he's a quantum physicist and the language of q-phys is English), many names are Finnish (Perhonen = butterfly, hence the butterfly avatar for the ship; Mieli = mind, Sydän = heart).
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X