Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sci-Fi/Fantasy Book Discussion/Appreciation Anyone..??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by VampyreWraith View Post
    The Tamir trilogy? I liked that series even more than the Nightrunner books. I really loved The Bone Doll's Twin.
    Loved the Bone Doll's Twin. I could not remember the name when I posted, the bone daughter's twin, that doesn't sound right.
    sigpic

Comment

Currently about half finished with The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. Turning out to be one of my very favorites.

My favorite is probably the obvious Song of Ice and Fire series by George R.R. Martin. Just finished book 5 A Dance with Dragons last month. VERY strong!

I consider The Legend of Huma by Richard A. Knaak a little known treasure. One of my longest standing favorites. Read it 3 times!

Comment

Originally posted by jcainhaze View Post
        Currently about half finished with The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. Turning out to be one of my very favorites.

My favorite is probably the obvious Song of Ice and Fire series by George R.R. Martin. Just finished book 5 A Dance with Dragons last month. VERY strong!

I consider The Legend of Huma by Richard A. Knaak a little known treasure. One of my longest standing favorites. Read it 3 times!
        I've only read The legend of Huma twice , good book.

Name of the wind is great and the sequel is also fantastic though it could have advanced things a bit more imo.

Comment

I recently finished 'War of Honor' and started on 'At All Costs' (both by David Weber), but got distracted w/ 'Blood Pact'...after which I got 'Salvation's Reach' (the latter two are both WH40k/'Gaunt's Ghosts' novels by Dan Abnett)
          sigpic

Comment

Just picked up The Towers of Midnight (Wheel of Time Book 13) in softcover by Brandon Sanderson, I'm looking forward to reading it as Brandon's style of writing just appeals to me a whole lot more as compared to Jordan, and the story moves at a far more backbreacking pace.

I also have The Walking Dead: Rise of the Governor by Robert Kirkman, Deus Ex: Icarus Effect by James Swallow, Snuff by Terry Pratchett and The Omen Machine by Terry Goodkind on the backburner.

Comment

I read Stalking Darkness yesterday and am now starting on Traitors Moon.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lord of Nightmares View Post
                Just picked up The Towers of Midnight (Wheel of Time Book 13) in softcover by Brandon Sanderson, I'm looking forward to reading it as Brandon's style of writing just appeals to me a whole lot more as compared to Jordan, and the story moves at a far more backbreacking pace.

I also have The Walking Dead: Rise of the Governor by Robert Kirkman, Deus Ex: Icarus Effect by James Swallow, Snuff by Terry Pratchett and The Omen Machine by Terry Goodkind on the backburner.

Sorry to disappoint you, but Towers of Midnight is very reminiscent of Jordan at his worst. Since Sanderson is working off of Jordan's notes it's hard to blame him, but this book was basically 90% hand wringing and 10% action.

The Walking Dead was a good enough zombie novel, but the ending of the book really doesn't make much sense for fans of the comic books.

Comment

I'm still behind on the series, I still have books 7 onwards to read, but I've heard mostly good things about it. If you like Sanderson, his Mistborn series is good. I've only read the first book, but loved it, hopping t read the next one n the series before the year is done.

A good Sci-Fi suggestion, as I just came into the series is the trade pact series by Julie Czernada, I read the first one earlier in the year.
                  Oh for a book and a shady nook ~ Jules' Book Reviews - my book review site.

Comment

Sanderson's sequel to Mistborn was poor. I've never read a book before where the author literally shoves a side character down the throats of his readers to the point where said character actually displaces the main character in importance.

P.S. Read the Omen Machine if you're a fan of Goodkind's work, but don't expect from it.

Comment

Shannara books by Terry Brooks are awesome, get 'em read!
                      sigpic
                      385 Heroes coming Home

Here's to smart Mods

Comment

Originally posted by Stewart5 View Post
                        I have only read the genesis of Shannara series.
                        sigpic

Comment

Gah, when it gets bad. Original 3 are AWESOME!! The Scions quadrilogy is not bad. But the original ones are bril
                          sigpic
                          385 Heroes coming Home

Here's to smart Mods

Comment

I've read the first two from the original trilogy, still haven't found the time to finish it. Brooks is good, but he has failed to capture my undivided attention like other authors have who write high and epic fantasy.
                            Oh for a book and a shady nook ~ Jules' Book Reviews - my book review site.

Comment

About to start "under the Dome"
                              no means no, and so does pepper spray
                              Sig by The Carpenter
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Stewart5 View Post
                                Brooks is ok. I couldn't really finish the first Sword of Shannara book, but I read Running with the Demon and Bearer of the Black Staff.

Originally posted by Ukko View Post
                                I have only read the genesis of Shannara series.
                                I picked up a free copy of Armageddon's Children, but after having read three of his books now I don't know if I want to keep on reading Brooks.

Comment

Working...
                                X