Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sci-Fi/Fantasy Book Discussion/Appreciation Anyone..??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm currently reading:

StarFist Book VII : Kingdom's Swords and will be following that with StarFist Book VIII : Kingdom's Fury.
    "What do you mean by 'Oopps'?"
    Team Starfist protects all. But having a fully loaded P-90 helps...
    Reality is an illusion... Created by those who cannot handle Stargate...!
    Jankowski's Rules: Rule 1: Check your Six!
    I'm not perfect. But parts of me are excellent I also cook...!
    To thy own self... Be true
    May the odds.... Be ever in your favour..!

Comment

Originally posted by Wyrminarrd View Post
      Finished reading "Consider Phlebas" Ian M. Banks. Very good book, much better than his "Use of weapons" imo.

Next up is "Axis" by Robert Charles Wilson. This is a sequel to his fantastic book "Spin" so hopefully it will manage to live up to that book.
      I read 70 pages of Use of Weapons and don't have a clue what's going on. Horrible writing.

Comment

The Cat who Walks Through Walls - Heinlein
        sigpic

Comment

Does anyone know how many SG-1 and Atlantis novels have been released? I keep looking but I keep getting episode guides and such in my searches...

In addition, are the books any good?
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Krichton View Post
            I read 70 pages of Use of Weapons and don't have a clue what's going on. Horrible writing.
            "Use of Weapons" is a book that only makes sense if you finish it. It would definitely have helped me if I'd read some of his other culture books first since that would have filled in some of the details about the universe.

Comment

Terry Pratchett " I shall wear midnight". I love stories about witches.

Comment

Finished reading "Axis" By Robert Charles Wilson. The book was good but it lacked the wow factor that "Spin" had.

Also finished reading "The Clone Redemption" by Steven L. Kent. This is (maybe) the final book in his "Wayson Harris" series and it managed to close things fairly well and over all I'd say that it was a good end to a good series.

Next up is "Alloy of Law" by Brandon Sanderson. Looking forward to this one as I loved the Mistborn trilogy.

Comment

Lonely Werewolf Girl by Martin Millar
                  sigpic

Comment

Finished reading "Alloy of Law" by Brandon Sanderson. The book was very good and I hope that Sanderson will manage to get around to writing all the books he has planned for this world of his.

Next up is "The Warrior Prophet" by R. Scott Bakker which is the second book of "The Prince of Nothing" series.

Comment

Originally posted by Gen. Chris View Post
                      Does anyone know how many SG-1 and Atlantis novels have been released? I keep looking but I keep getting episode guides and such in my searches...

In addition, are the books any good?
                      The Legacy series, which is set after the end of Atlantis are pretty damn good, and as a Wraith fan they help answer one or two questions. Worth a look definitely!

Currently reading The Windup Girl, by Paulo Bacigalupi. A brilliant post-apocalypse steam punk story. His turn of phrase is extraordinary, and I am often overwhelmed by the sheer beauty of it. The only possible difficulty for any reader is that it is written in 1st person present, a very strange tense for a book. But, you get past that very quickly.
                      sigpic

Comment

I love to read DC & Marvel comic books from the 1940's - 1980's, anything newer than that I will not read.
                        sigpic
                        Although bow ties are cool, the scarf is cooler!

Comment

There have been 18 SGA books released.

Not sure about SG-1. You can check here:
                          http://www.stargatenovels.com/books.php

I just checked the number on the latest released book.
                          It may be 18 if you check the Quick Links list at the side.

I really want to read Allegiance but have no way to buy it. When your own phone company accuses you of credit card fraud because PayPal bollock'd up you're reluctant to go back to them. If it becomes available on Ebay I may be able to ask someone else to buy it for me. Then again I can just order it in at Kings Comics...maybe. They have SG-1 comics. I'm especially interested in the Vala Mal Doran ones.

I'm getting through American Gods by Neil Gaiman. Words alone cannot describe how much I love his writing. I want to get in on the Sandman comics too but all I can find is the full 1st or 2nd series for $100.

Still need to read Second Foundation by Isaac Asimov. I have two other books in that series too I'm yet to read and my friend gave me four Asimov books I've never read before as well as four Star Trek novels. Goodness, and I just started Nicholas Nickelby and have to get through Air Force and the Physics of Star Trek.
                          My post for Gate World: An Autistic's take on Sci-Fi

Comment

Hi all.
                            Well I'm now reading StarFist book XI : Flashfire.
                            "What do you mean by 'Oopps'?"
                            Team Starfist protects all. But having a fully loaded P-90 helps...
                            Reality is an illusion... Created by those who cannot handle Stargate...!
                            Jankowski's Rules: Rule 1: Check your Six!
                            I'm not perfect. But parts of me are excellent I also cook...!
                            To thy own self... Be true
                            May the odds.... Be ever in your favour..!

Comment

I am always on the look for good Sci Fi/Fantasy books but finding a golden pin in the hay of crap that is out there ....
                              I like Sharky
                              sigpic

Comment

There's alot of crap out there, but unless you've read an entire library of scifi fantasy books it would be extremely difficult to claim the probability of finding something good to read is impossible. As a matter of fact, I find that most people appear to love all the books I don't, and I still end up finding plenty of good stuff to read, although almost none of it is in epic fantasy.

Comment

Working...
                                X