Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sci-Fi/Fantasy Book Discussion/Appreciation Anyone..??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Queen of Darkness again
    sigpic

Comment

Hi all.
      I've just finished reading... 'Turn the Other Chick' anthology of Fantasy and Sci-Fi stories.
      It is well worth a read in my humble opinion.

And I've finally started to read 'Mission of Honor' the latest Honor Harrington book by David
      Weber.
      "What do you mean by 'Oopps'?"
      Team Starfist protects all. But having a fully loaded P-90 helps...
      Reality is an illusion... Created by those who cannot handle Stargate...!
      Jankowski's Rules: Rule 1: Check your Six!
      I'm not perfect. But parts of me are excellent I also cook...!
      To thy own self... Be true
      May the odds.... Be ever in your favour..!

Comment

I've finished reading 'Mission of Honor' by David Weber
        It has a lot of surprises, a fair few twists and turns.
        And for fans of the series some familar faces return.

I can recommend it. But then I am a fan of the series as a whole.

Comment

Originally posted by Starfist View Post
          I've finished reading 'Mission of Honor' by David Weber
          It has a lot of surprises, a fair few twists and turns.
          And for fans of the series some familar faces return.

I can recommend it. But then I am a fan of the series as a whole.

I almost bought one of his books the other week.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Iffy View Post
            I almost bought one of his books the other week.
            I can recommend David Weber.
            He also writes Fantasy Novels...

Comment

Weber needs to write more fantasy. I would also love to read a scifi series written by Brandon Sanderson. I'm always surprised when authors don't venture outside their usual genre alot more. Even worst is when they don't ever leave the worlds they've created. Feist has been writing about Midkemia for freaking 30 years or so.

Comment

Originally posted by Starfist View Post
                I can recommend David Weber.
                He also writes Fantasy Novels...
                I was too busy being bitter that I had to go to B&N instead of Borders.

currently reading Naamah's Curse by Jacqueline Carey
                sigpic

Comment

Speaking of Weber,
                  After a rather long delay (I got 'stuck' on one part), I finally got to finish 'In Enemy Hands' about a week ago(after the part I got stuck in, the pace actually picked up. I liked the ending).

I've started on the 8th book in the Honor Harrington series, 'Echoes of Honor'.

sigpic

Comment

Finished reading "The Ruling Sea" by Robert V.S. Redick. Great book, can't wait for the next one in the series.

Haven't decided on what to read next, been buying a lot of books lately so I have a lot of choices

Comment

Hello everyone
                      I'm reading now " American gods", by Neil Gaiman. Great book

Comment

Originally posted by gotthammer View Post
                        Speaking of Weber,
                        After a rather long delay (I got 'stuck' on one part), I finally got to finish 'In Enemy Hands' about a week ago(after the part I got stuck in, the pace actually picked up. I liked the ending).

I've started on the 8th book in the Honor Harrington series, 'Echoes of Honor'.

I just finished In Enemy Hands. I really liked the last quarter of the book, but I got very frustrated reading the majority of it. The peep chapters were just too long for my taste.

Comment

Finished reading "Prador Moon" by Neal Asher. Good book and works completely separate from his other books set in the same world.

Comment

Ugh, that book was awful and horribly cliche.

Comment

Hmm, while it wasn't as good as his Agent Cormac series I still found if to be a fun read. Sure, it's not exactly a hugo award winner but sometimes it's good to read these short and simple stories. Heck, the author even acknowledges that the aliens are cliche so I can forgive that

Comment

I'd recommend The Darkness That Came Before, there are some deep philosophical things thrown in there and especially obvious with Kellhus's culture and his way of thinking. He also highlights the frailty of many things. It's kinda deep but in a light manner with a fantasy setting.

I really like the Esmer-something character. Rarely are there strong wenches characters in fantasy that aren't the typical damsel in distress, or ridiculously strong, or too butch, or just unbelievable, or too *****y (all of Jordan's wenches characters). She just has this eagerness to learn of the world which is pretty uncommon to me. But then again, I haven't read much fantasy. I'm glad that most of the politics are sort of in the background.

I'd love to see the world through Kellhus's eAye. Some might mistake him for evil...well you guys read if you want and decide for yourselves.
                                Last edited by jmoz; 31 March 2011, 07:26 PM. Reason: it changed women to wenches, just clarifying, great, here too

Comment

Working...
                                X