Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sci-Fi/Fantasy Book Discussion/Appreciation Anyone..??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
    A question for those who enjoy the W40K books
    Have any of you read the various battletech novels that were around in the late 80's-early 90's and if so did you like them?
    (actually, anyone can answer, just as they are both TTWG's I thought there might be soome cross-over)
    I can actually say yes I have read several Battletech novels.
    I am a big fan of the novels written by Michael J. Stackpole. The Warrior Trilogy, The Blood of Kerensky Trilogy and the various FedCom Civil War books he wrote.
    "What do you mean by 'Oopps'?"
    Team Starfist protects all. But having a fully loaded P-90 helps...
    Reality is an illusion... Created by those who cannot handle Stargate...!
    Jankowski's Rules: Rule 1: Check your Six!
    I'm not perfect. But parts of me are excellent I also cook...!
    To thy own self... Be true
    May the odds.... Be ever in your favour..!

Comment

I for once didn't mind Perrin all that much this time since his story line seems just about finished now.

Finished reading "Cosmic Puppets" by Philip K. Dick. The book was ok but a bit on the short side imo.

Next up is "The Red Wolf Conspiracy" by Robert V.S. Redick

Comment

Finished "A Storm of Swords" (the third A Song of Fire and Ice book) yesterday and immediately started "A Feast for Crows" (4th book)

Still impressed by G.R.R.M. writing style, character develepment and attention to detail.
        sigpic
        My short movie "Red Bag" / The Scifi Guys Podcast / My Twitter account

Comment

anyone ever read the circle Trilogy series by ted dekker? Im allready on the third book its awesome!

Team Ronan

Comment

Originally posted by Teyla-Joy View Post
            anyone ever read the circle Trilogy series by ted dekker? Im allready on the third book its awesome!
            I've read them, I really liked them - let me know how you like the ending.

If you like those, you're like This Present Darkness
            sigpic

Comment

I'm now reading 'First Heretic' also in The Horus Heresey series.

Comment

Finished reading "The Red Wolf Conspiracy" by Robert V.s. Redick. It was really good and I definitely recommend it and I'm really looking forward to the next book in the series.

Next up is "The Noise within" by Ian Whates.

Comment

Galactic Battlefront is an interesting new saga and the first literary installment is available to read for free at gbuniverse.com. It's a sci fi space opera with plans of television series, films, and vaious novels. The first novel will be released Janruary 21st 2011, but like I said before chek out the first story Siege of the Golden City for free...gbuniverse.com

Comment

Can't find the book thread in off-topic place because this book isn't fantasy or sci-fi.

The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo by Steig Larsson- pretty good read. The girl is the most intriguing character and I'll continue reading the series cause of that. It's a page turner, I'm sure some things were lost from the Swedish to English translation though, since I don't know Swedish. I didn't like how it became a generic mystery book later on. And I didn't like how the strongest emotions that were elicited from me were ones of disgust, anger, and feelings of inflicting hard (anyone know a word for that?). Otherwise, it was a nicely paced read. Finished it in two days. Anyone else read it?

Comment

Originally posted by jmoz View Post
                      Can't find the book thread in off-topic place because this book isn't fantasy or sci-fi.

The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo by Steig Larsson- pretty good read. The girl is the most intriguing character and I'll continue reading the series cause of that. It's a page turner, I'm sure some things were lost from the Swedish to English translation though, since I don't know Swedish. I didn't like how it became a generic mystery book later on. And I didn't like how the strongest emotions that were elicited from me were ones of disgust, anger, and feelings of inflicting hard (anyone know a word for that?). Otherwise, it was a nicely paced read. Finished it in two days. Anyone else read it?
                      It is on my list to read. I've heard good things about it.

book thread link
                      sigpic

Comment

I've just started re-reading the 'Harry Potter' series.

Comment

Finished reading "Acacia: The war with the mein" by David Anthony Durham. This is the first book in a trilogy and so far it's been very good. I can easily recommend it.

Comment

I did a course on science fiction literature and film this year, there are several books I studied that I'd recommend.

Frankenstein - Everyone knows the story, but you simply have to read it. I was surprised how complex it was and how influential. It's now one of my favourites

The Time Machine

Brave New World

A Canticle for Leibowitz

I'm a big Tolkien fan, so I recommend The Lord of the Rings, The Silmarillion, The Children of Húrin.. etc.

I also loved The Picture of Dorian Gray, which might be considered fantasy.

I've got Childhood's End, Consider Phlebas and Pandora's Star on my reading list.
                            sigpic
                            http://annorasponderings.tumblr.com/
                            http://circumvented.tumblr.com/

Comment

Has anyone here read the Sterling E. Lanier books?
                              sigpic
                              ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                              A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                              The truth isn't the truth

Comment

I believe the first scifi/fantasy series I ever read was Lloyd Alexander's Chronicles of Prydain. It's still very dear to me and I read the books about once a year. I'm a big fan of Tad Williams and his Memory, Sorrow and Thorn trilogy. I'm haven't finished the Shadowmarch series yet and though this series seems to have strong resemblance to the Memory, Sorrow and Thorn trilogy, I'd still recommend it for those who like good old fantasy literature with spunky princesses, sorcerers and elf like creatures
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X