Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sci-Fi/Fantasy Book Discussion/Appreciation Anyone..??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Exiled Master View Post
    Spoiler:
    Read ASoIaF, it will change your life!
    I AGREE!
    Originally posted by Exiled Master View Post
    Spoiler:
    The Silmarillion is great, but it took me a while to get through. Though shorter than GRRM's stuff, it seems longer because of how much time passes throughout the volume. A Song of Ice and Fire looks at two generations. Silmarillion goes from the creation of the world to several thousand years later.
    I'm still dying for A Dance with Dragons to come out.
    *puts fingers in ears* Eyes? LALALALALA! Don't say a thing about this series without tags! Please. Or I might just start crying.....am partway through the third book right now.

Comment

I've been plowing through anything by Ann Biship at the moment. Loved the Dark Jewels Trilogy
      sigpic

Comment

If you like hard SF, Ben Bova's Mars (Red Mars, Green Mars, Blue Mars)series is a good read.
        sigpic

In memory of Deejay.
        May we all be so well loved.

Comment

Originally posted by scifithinker View Post
          If you like hard SF, Ben Bova's Mars (Red Mars, Green Mars, Blue Mars)series is a good read.
          I'll have to take a look at them if I can remember next time I am browsing
          sigpic

Comment

I'm reading The Ancient Future: The Dark Age, by Traci Harding atm. Good fantasy book
            Science Fiction is an existential metaphor; it allows us to tell stories about the human condition.

Isaac Asimov once said individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.

[/QUOTE]

SENFORUMS.com

Comment

Currently reading "I Am Legend". Next up is "I, Robot". (yes, I am a fan of Will Smith's movies and want to see how they compared to the originals). I am also a fan of the Ender's Series, but have only read "Ender's Game", "Speaker for the Dead", and "Xenocide"
              sigpic

Comment

I can't count the number of SciFi books I've read.
                Geral Corasjo

Comment

I liked I, Robot. Have not seen the movie though.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by scifithinker View Post
                    i thought they were by Kim Stanley Robinson, i tried reading Red Mars years ago, i think i was about 15, but i couldn't get into it, it often crosses my mind to buy the trilogy and try again
                    Spoiler:
                    Disclaimer:
                    I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
                    Quotes!
                    - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
                    - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
                    - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
                    sigpic

Comment

I've always been drawn to fantasy, science fiction and horror, in books, films and tv shows. As a kid I read a lot of fantasy.....eg Narnia, The Hobbit, The Lord of the Rings, Watership Down, Shardik, The Plague Dogs, A Wrinkle in Time, A Swiftly Tilting Planet etc.

Now, my reading is more varied(there are many writers I love who are not in the sci-fi, fantasy realm per se, but some like Tom Robbins stray over the lines somewhat).

I recently finished Stephen King's "Dark Tower" series and loved it. I think Ray Bradbury is a great writer. I picked up his Martian Chronicles and The October Country a few weeks ago. I also recently bought C.S. Lewis's Space Trilogy, a volume of Heinlein's fantasy stories, Solaris and A Canticle for Leibowitz, which I'm reading now.

Comment

My favorite series of all time is the GUARDIANS OF TIME by Marianne Curley. They are classified as *teen* but I've never ever met anyone who's read them and hated them They have your SciFi, your Fantasy, your time travel, x-men, drama, action, and romance Seriously, read them they're great!

Comment

Originally posted by AvatarIII View Post
                          i thought they were by Kim Stanley Robinson, i tried reading Red Mars years ago, i think i was about 15, but i couldn't get into it, it often crosses my mind to buy the trilogy and try again
                          I think you're right, now that I think about it.
                          sigpic

In memory of Deejay.
                          May we all be so well loved.

Comment

altered carbon, woken furies, and fallen angels by Richard K Morgan

consciousness can be stored digitally in a cortical 'stack' and put into any 'sleeve'(body)
                            genetic enhancements aplenty (concussion knuckles anybody?) sleeve death is traumatic but not final, if your 'stack' can be recovered its no prob to 're-sleeve'(finances permitting, if not you can be stored in VR) if your 'stack' is destroyed, its final death unless you have the huge amount of money needed to back yourself up(obviously done before the death)
                            space travel happens but its not like SG1, its really slow, so after initial colonization they set up 'needlecast'(based on alien tech found on mars) to transmit you to your destination(not cheap)

i'd describe them as 'film noir' in book form like future set 1950's detective stories, lots of double crosses etc

i will say they can be very graphically descriptive in their........... shall we say more "adult" parts for those easily offended.
                            sigpic
                            EMBRACE DEMOCRACY, OR YOU WILL BE ERADICATED
                            -Liberty Prime

Comment

Originally posted by wraithfound View Post
                              My favorite series of all time is the GUARDIANS OF TIME by Marianne Curley. They are classified as *teen* but I've never ever met anyone who's read them and hated them They have your SciFi, your Fantasy, your time travel, x-men, drama, action, and romance Seriously, read them they're great!
                              there are a lot of really good teen and young adult books out there.
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Iffy View Post
                                there are a lot of really good teen and young adult books out there.
                                Speaking of really good teen/ young adult books, The Transall Saga by Gary Paulsen is excellent.

Comment

Working...
                                X