Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sci-Fi/Fantasy Book Discussion/Appreciation Anyone..??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

also in the Teen / Young Adult section...

Anita Blake - by Laurell K Hamilton...

first book waffle...

My name is Anita Blake. Vampires call me The Executioner. What I call them isn't repeatable. Ever since the Supreme Court granted the undead equal rights, most people think vampires are just ordinary folks with fangs. I know better. I've seen their victims. I carry the scars...

But now a serial killer is murdering vampires -- and the most powerful bloodsucker in town wants me to find the killer...

----------

I arrived at Guilty Pleasures a little after midnight. Jean-Claude was standing at the bottom of the steps. He was leaning against the wall, utterly still. If he was breathing, I couldn't see it. A lock of black hair trailed across the smooth paleness of his cheek.

"You smell of other people's blood, ma petite."

I smiled at him, sweetly. "It was no one you knew...."

-------------

highly reccomended...

official review thingie

Anita Blake may be small and young, but vampires call her the Executioner. Anita is a necromancer and vampire hunter in a time when vampires are protected by law--as long as they don't get too nasty. Now someone's killing innocent vampires and Anita agrees--with a bit of vampiric arm-twisting--to help figure out who and why.

Trust is a luxury Anita can't afford when her allies aren't human. The city's most powerful vampire, Nikolaos, is 1,000 years old and looks like a 10-year-old girl. The second most powerful vampire, Jean-Claude, is interested in more than just Anita's professional talents, but the feisty necromancer isn't playing along--yet. This popular series has a wild energy and humor, and some very appealing characters--both dead and alive.

-----------

seriously, if you haven't read the series of 14 (And still going strong) books, get them asap

M

Click on the image to go to my fanfics.

Comment

^If your into vampire books you should definitely pick up a copy of Twilight. It's good, especially for a first time writer.

Comment

Originally posted by MartianManhunter View Post
        ^If your into vampire books you should definitely pick up a copy of Twilight. It's good, especially for a first time writer.
        I found "Twilight" okay as fluff reading, entertaining enough, but some of the descriptions become insanely repetitive, she uses many of the same adjectives over and over to the point of the reader going, okay! He's a hot vampire! We get it already! I just finished the second one, "New Moon" and honestly I think I cringed my way through most of it. Planning on reading the third though (I've heard that one's better than the second one), they are rather addictive.....

But for a first time writer, not too bad.

If we're adding to the teen list, Garth Nix's "Abhorsen Trilogy" and "Shade's Children" are both excellent.

Comment

one of my favorite kids series is Susan Cooper's Dark is Rising series. I love that series so much
          sigpic

Comment

My current list of active book series I'm reading is quite extensive:

Star Wars: various authors
            Dresden Files: Jim Butcher
            Legion of the Damned: William C. Dietz
            Cal Leandros: Rob Thurman
            Cassandra Palmer: Karen Chance
            Old Man's War: John Scalzi (may be over or on an extended hiatus)
            30 Days of Night Series: Steve Niles (only just started)
            The Clone Republic: Steven L. Kent (which I'm about to start)

Individuals like Timothy Zahn, J.R.R. Tolkien and a bunch of others I can't remember.

Comment

Originally posted by Trek_Girl42 View Post
              I found "Twilight" okay as fluff reading, entertaining enough, but some of the descriptions become insanely repetitive, she uses many of the same adjectives over and over to the point of the reader going, okay! He's a hot vampire! We get it already! I just finished the second one, "New Moon" and honestly I think I cringed my way through most of it. Planning on reading the third though (I've heard that one's better than the second one), they are rather addictive.....

But for a first time writer, not too bad.

If we're adding to the teen list, Garth Nix's "Abhorsen Trilogy" and "Shade's Children" are both excellent.
              The third one is, at least in my opinion, is the best in the series so far. I think you'll like alot better than the first two, although I am more interested in reading from Edward's point of view.

Comment

The third one is, at least in my opinion, is the best in the series so far. I think you'll like alot better than the first two, although I am more interested in reading from Edward's point of view.
                You get his point of view in the third book? Interesting.....

I'm really not into gushing romantic-drama-like stories, which is probably why I don't like these as much, (I feel like slapping Bella half the time.....) but she certainly does know how to grab a reader and as I said, addictive, so I'm sticking with it. I was annoyed with what she did with Jacob though- I really liked him in the first book. Second one, it started out okay, and then not so much (regarding Bella's relationship with him, the other stuff was good). Alice, however, is forever awesome.

I'll list the series' that I'm reading at the moment as well:
                A Song of Ice and Fire - George R.R. Martin (on the third book, anyone who spoils me will find their head parting company with their neck )
                Kushiel's Dart (not sure if the trilogy has a name.....but that's the first book) - Jacqueline Carey
                Twilight - Stephenie Meyer
                Y: The Last Man - Brian K. Vaughan (on Vol. 6, ditto with the Ice and Fire comment )
                Runaways - Brian K. Vaughan
                Buffy/Angel comics - Joss Whedon
                His Dark Materials - Philip Pullman
                Dresden Files - Jim Butcher (waiting for the library to hurry and buy the second book.....)

And for anyone who reads graphic novels, "Alice in Sunderland" by Bryan Talbot is an unbelievably gorgeous book that must be read.

Comment

Alastair Reynolds Rocks!!!! go read some you Sci-Fi Fans!!!!
                  Spoiler:
                  Disclaimer:
                  I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
                  Quotes!
                  - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
                  - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
                  - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
                  sigpic

Comment

Awesome thread idea

Originally posted by Iffy View Post
                    I've been plowing through anything by Ann Biship at the moment. Loved the Dark Jewels Trilogy
                    Absolutely agree, what a great fantasy writer.

Originally posted by wraithfound View Post
                    My favorite series of all time is the GUARDIANS OF TIME by Marianne Curley. They are classified as *teen* but I've never ever met anyone who's read them and hated them They have your SciFi, your Fantasy, your time travel, x-men, drama, action, and romance Seriously, read them they're great!
                    Also agree found her last year and have read the trilogy as well as her other book, really good stuff.

For younger kids and even some of us kids at heart is Deltora Quest by Emily Rodda, nice writing and a great intro into fantasy.

Banner by Stef
                    Fruitcakes Anonymous C2

Comment

[QUOTE=CrazyLikeaFox;7634676]Awesome thread idea

Absolutely agree, what a great fantasy writer.

QUOTE]

the only sad thing is now I'm done w/ them

Just Finished Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Iffy View Post

the only sad thing is now I'm done w/ them

Just Finished Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
                        Her new one Tangled Webs is out in March so that's not too long to wait.

Banner by Stef
                        Fruitcakes Anonymous C2

Comment

Originally posted by CrazyLikeaFox View Post
                          Her new one Tangled Webs is out in March so that's not too long to wait.
                          I know I saw that on amazon
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Trek_Girl42 View Post
                            You get his point of view in the third book? Interesting.....
                            I'm really not into gushing romantic-drama-like stories, which is probably why I don't like these as much, (I feel like slapping Bella half the time.....) but she certainly does know how to grab a reader and as I said, addictive, so I'm sticking with it. I was annoyed with what she did with Jacob though- I really liked him in the first book. Second one, it started out okay, and then not so much (regarding Bella's relationship with him, the other stuff was good). Alice, however, is forever awesome.
                            I probably should have explained that better, sorry. The third book is definitely one of the better of the series, but what I meant about Edwards point of view actually involves a seperate series that she's writing. It will retell everything that happened in the first few books from Edwards point and if they continue in the fashion of the first chapter, which is posted on her website, then they'll be a heck of alot better that Twilight, New Moon, & Eclipse.

Comment

I probably should have explained that better, sorry. The third book is definitely one of the better of the series, but what I meant about Edwards point of view actually involves a seperate series that she's writing. It will retell everything that happened in the first few books from Edwards point and if they continue in the fashion of the first chapter, which is posted on her website, then they'll be a heck of alot better that Twilight, New Moon, & Eclipse.
                              Oh that! "Midnight Sun" or something? Yeah, I read that first chapter and I thought it was excellent- easily outstrips the two books that I've read. Really well written, and much better than Bella's whiny point of view.
                              Last edited by Trek_Girl42; 29 January 2008, 11:07 PM.

Comment

Have to say I agree re: Midnight Sun, really looking forward to it and love what I have read so far.

Banner by Stef
                                Fruitcakes Anonymous C2

Comment

Working...
                                X