Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sci-Fi/Fantasy Book Discussion/Appreciation Anyone..??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Isolde View Post
    I love his books, and I think you should read his thrillers f you want the pants scared off you. He has a nice way with horrific themes, as well as a sick and twisted imagination.

Btw, any fan writers on this thread might like to try this out:

Clicky...

Apparently, I write like Stephen King, with hints of Asimov, Joyce, Palahnuik, and Stoker. Not a shabby list, methinks.
    I got Stephanie Meyer for one of mine
    sigpic

Comment

I got David Foster Wallace for one. My first thoughts were who the f is David Foster Wallace. Another William Gibson, who's that?

Comment

Now Kipling. But somehow I think they just took the jungle setting of the one I submitted here, and exaggerated it cause of his Jungle Book.

Comment

Originally posted by jmoz View Post
          Now Kipling. But somehow I think they just took the jungle setting of the one I submitted here, and exaggerated it cause of his Jungle Book.
          So far as I can gather it is more to do with use of vocabulary and style, rather than content. Kipling was a fine writer, and I loved his stories - my fave being Riki Tiki Tavi. As for William Gibson? Shame on you. He's the author of Neuromancer, the creator of all things Cyberpunk.
          sigpic

Comment

I'm not very well read. Only recently started reading a lot. Hmm, the one I pasted was cyber-punkish so it might be content a bit.

Comment

I just finished reading a wonderful book by Shannon Hale called Book of a Thousand Days. It's loosely based off the little-known Grimm's fairy tale "Maid Maleen." It's told from the point of view of a maid, who is shut up in a tower with her lady after the lady refuses to marry the man her father intends to betroth her to. They're supposed to spend seven years in there, but things go wrong in the outside world, and...well, I won't spoil it. It was very good, though. I liked how the author took the original story and tweaked it so that it was set in a sort of Medieval Mongolian setting.
              "YOU'RE EASIER THAN THE U.S. CONGRESS."~Nikola
              sigpic
              Sig by ME!!!

Comment

So far as I can gather it is more to do with use of vocabulary and style, rather than content. Kipling was a fine writer, and I loved his stories - my fave being Riki Tiki Tavi. As for William Gibson? Shame on you. He's the author of Neuromancer, the creator of all things Cyberpunk.
                I also got the compared to the author of fight club.

Mimzy that books sounds really interesting.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Iffy View Post

Mimzy that books sounds really interesting.
                  It was
                  sigpic
                  Sig by ME!!!

Comment

I recently finished 'Farscape: House of Cards' by Keith R.A. deCandido. Quite good, IMHO, and captures the feel of the characters/show (felt like watching an episode, in a way).
                    sigpic

Comment

At the top of my list:

"The Lies of Locke Lamora" and "Red Seas under Red Skies" by Scott Lynch. I would really like book 3 now, please. I LOVE the characters so much and the books ended too quickly.

"The Name of the Wind" by Patrick Rothfuss is also quite brilliant, imo.
                      Shin ~ def. A device for finding furniture in the dark.

Comment

My next book to read is either Monster Blood Tattoo by D.M. Cornish, or A Gathering of Gargoyles (the 2nd Darkangel book) by Meredith Ann Pierce. I can't decide which to read first. lol
                        sigpic
                        Sig by ME!!!

Comment

I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned them, but I'll reccomend Timothy Zahn's "Quadrail" series and Elizabeth Moon's "Vatta's War" series.

The Quadrail series is a sci-fi noir mystery series mostly centered around an interstellar train system (called the Quadrail, obviously).

Books:
                          Night Train to Rigel
                          The Third Lynx
                          Odd Girl Out
                          The Domino Pattern

The Vatta's War series is a 5 part military science fiction series focused on Kylara Vatta, a child of a wealthy shipping family. She got kicked out of her planet's military academy because of a good deed gone awry and had to settle for command of one of her family's merchant ships, but then her family gets attacked and almost completely wiped out.

Books:
                          Trading in Danger
                          Marque and Reprisal
                          Engaging the Enemy
                          Command Decision
                          Victory Conditions

Comment

I love his books, and I think you should read his thrillers f you want the pants scared off you. He has a nice way with horrific themes, as well as a sick and twisted imagination.

Btw, any fan writers on this thread might like to try this out:

Clicky...

Apparently, I write like Stephen King, with hints of Asimov, Joyce, Palahnuik, and Stoker. Not a shabby list, methinks.
                            According to this I write like Douglas Adams , and David Foster Wallace.
                            sigpic

Comment

My all-time favourites are Isaac Asimov's and Ray Bradbury's books.

Besides them I really love "When the Sun Dies" by Oriana Fallacci. It's not sci-fi or fantasy, but still, it is about the astronauts, the space flight in the 60's.
                              My Stargate Music Videossigpic

Comment

Just finished the third WOT book and have moved on to Nightmaster by Tanith lee.

I need to go find which box the fourth WOT book is in.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X