Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sci-Fi/Fantasy Book Discussion/Appreciation Anyone..??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

^apparently Tolkien originally didn't like the Narnia series because he thought C.S. Lewis was oversimplifying his mythology or something Yep, that man was obsessed with detail.
    "YOU'RE EASIER THAN THE U.S. CONGRESS."~Nikola
    sigpic
    Sig by ME!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mimzy View Post
      ^apparently Tolkien originally didn't like the Narnia series because he thought C.S. Lewis was oversimplifying his mythology or something Yep, that man was obsessed with detail.
      Lewis drew very heavily from Christianity for the Narnia series. Tolkien just created his own mythos and language. So I can see how Tolkien would think Lewis wimped out. Lewis' Till we Have Faces is much better than his Narnia series.
      sigpic

Comment

I think I've read all of the Narnia books when I was a kid (shush). Didn't really like them except the first one which was sort of an eye opener cause it was different.

Comment

Originally posted by jmoz View Post
          I think I've read all of the Narnia books when I was a kid (shush). Didn't really like them except the first one which was sort of an eye opener cause it was different.
          They are okay. the Narnia books are nice. I like Alexander Llyod's Taran Wanderer series better.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Iffy View Post
            Lewis drew very heavily from Christianity for the Narnia series. Tolkien just created his own mythos and language. So I can see how Tolkien would think Lewis wimped out. Lewis' Till we Have Faces is much better than his Narnia series.
            Careful, I'm very touchy on the Narnia subject Although I love C.S. Lewis in general. But on Narnia I'm kind of an expert, so please forgive me for going on a rant lol

True, he drew on his Christian background a lot for those books, but so did Tolkien. The Christian elements in Tolkien's work just aren't as overt as they are in Lewis' (another problem Tolkien had with the books--but then again, you have to take into account that they had totally different audiences. Lewis was writing primarily for children). But this wasn't the only thing he drew from. If you go back and re-read the series (which, yes, I've done to some extent ) it's actually quite mind-blowing just how much complicated stuff Lewis was able to stuff into such simple language. Obviously, from Till We Have Faces, it's very apparent that Lewis had a strong background in Classical mythology and philosophy--and he uses this a LOT in the Narnia series. For example, the entire second half of The Silver Chair is pretty much his own version of Plato's Allegory of the Cave (I thought it was pretty clever how he did that--I only noticed it a few years ago). He also draws a lot on Milton and Spenser (what English author didn't?). Another thing I just discovered that he apparently drew from was Germanic/Norse mythology--evidenced somewhat in The Magician's Nephew but not really described in detail unless you are a total nerd like me and actually have a Companion to Narnia book that has a drawn cross-section of the setup of Lewis' worlds. He also has tidbits of Arthurian legends in there, and he was even heavily influenced by the Arabian Nights. He pretty much took all of the stuff he'd learned since childhood and played with it to make up his own story. The books appear quite simple on the surface, but they're actually chock-full of stuff and I am still in complete awe of the fact that he was able to make them so SHORT and so easily understandable for children

Anyway, I can't seem to find that picture of all the mythical worlds surrounding Aslan's country...I guess I'll have to scan them out of my book :/
            sigpic
            Sig by ME!!!

Comment

Narnia has never really inspired me to return to them. They were never my favorites. I never really liked Lewis all that much until I read his re-working of the Pysche myth, that one stuck with me.
              sigpic

Comment

Interestingly enough, I only liked them moderately as a kid, but once the movie came out in '05, I went back to them and LOVED them. I think they're the kind of books that you only really appreciate when you read them as a kid first and then go back and read them again as a teenager/adult. Mostly because there's so much stuff that goes over your head as a kid.

But anyway...look at this
                http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/b...ight-book.html

May I just say: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

that is all
                sigpic
                Sig by ME!!!

Comment

Originally posted by WingedPegasus View Post
                  I have the Doomsday Book.... And Lord of the Rings, the complete Sherlock Holmes, and the complete works of Shakespeare each in their own books. They're quite hefty.

I just finished rereading Podkayne of Mars and Citizen of the Galaxy by Robert Heinlein. Both good books.
                  I'll stick with my way more awesome Domesday Book *Whops WP with Domesday Book*
                  sigpic

Comment

I have never mocked anyone for reading Narnia, I have ruthlessly made fun of friends who luf Twilight.

I must concur with you on the link.
                    sigpic

Comment

I lied. That was not all.

WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

okay, NOW that is all.
                      sigpic
                      Sig by ME!!!

Comment

I just passed that link on to another who is now yelling NOOOOO!!!!!!
                        sigpic

Comment

Oh, and guess who's playing the character of Bree in the Eclipse movie?

Jodelle Ferland, aka Young Adria in SG1 and Harmony in SGA.
                          sigpic
                          Sig by ME!!!

Comment

The poor duck. The guy that played Eddie had no idea gals were going to toss themselves under his feet.
                            sigpic

Comment

Also played the little girl alessa(?) in the Silent Hill movie. i liked her there.

but regarding the twilight book, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoo
                              sigpic

Comment

Interestingly enough, I only liked them moderately as a kid, but once the movie came out in '05, I went back to them and LOVED them. I think they're the kind of books that you only really appreciate when you read them as a kid first and then go back and read them again as a teenager/adult. Mostly because there's so much stuff that goes over your head as a kid.

But anyway...look at this
                                http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/b...ight-book.html

May I just say: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

that is all
                                *adds another "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!" to the mix*

I weep for humanity.

Originally posted by Ukko View Post
                                I'll stick with my way more awesome Domesday Book *Whops WP with Domesday Book*
                                *has little typewriters fly around head*
                                || twitter || tumblr ||

Comment

Working...
                                X