Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sci-Fi/Fantasy Book Discussion/Appreciation Anyone..??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just went to the used bookstore yesterday and bought a BUNCH of stuff, including The Neverending Story, a book on Celtic Myths and Legends, and Ray Bradbury's The Halloween Tree. I SWEAR I've remembered the cartoon movie version of that book for years, but I could never remember it's name...then I found Bradbury's book in the store and read the description and was like "OMG. It's the story from that movie!!!" And I flipped out And now that I'm a huge Bradbury lover, it makes it even more awesome!

Strange...I remember liking that movie for all it's creepiness when I was little...so I guess I was destined to be a Bradbury fan almost all my life. I just never knew it was Bradbury's story till now... How weird is that? LOL
    "YOU'RE EASIER THAN THE U.S. CONGRESS."~Nikola
    sigpic
    Sig by ME!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mimzy View Post
      I just went to the used bookstore yesterday and bought a BUNCH of stuff, including The Neverending Story, a book on Celtic Myths and Legends, and Ray Bradbury's The Halloween Tree. I SWEAR I've remembered the cartoon movie version of that book for years, but I could never remember it's name...then I found Bradbury's book in the store and read the description and was like "OMG. It's the story from that movie!!!" And I flipped out And now that I'm a huge Bradbury lover, it makes it even more awesome!

Strange...I remember liking that movie for all it's creepiness when I was little...so I guess I was destined to be a Bradbury fan almost all my life. I just never knew it was Bradbury's story till now... How weird is that? LOL

I love that movie, never realized it was one of his stories.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Iffy View Post
        I love that movie, never realized it was one of his stories.
        I know, neither did I until yesterday...I saw the book and was like "It was a book? A BRADBURY book?" lol Needless to say I HAD to buy it
        sigpic
        Sig by ME!!!

Comment

I know, neither did I until yesterday...I saw the book and was like "It was a book? A BRADBURY book?" lol Needless to say I HAD to buy it
          Now I want to see the movie again. *giggles*
          sigpic

Comment

It's on youtube. I just found it
            sigpic
            Sig by ME!!!

Comment

It's on youtube. I just found it
              I was thinking of adding to the netflix list.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Iffy View Post
                I was thinking of adding to the netflix list.
                Ah, yes, well, there is that
                sigpic
                Sig by ME!!!

Comment

I just finished By Schism Rent Asunder by David Weber the other night. This was simply put, one fantastic book! He builds such wonderful characters, even those who may only be in one chapter, and yet brings them to life. The plot ain't bad either! I highly recommend this series (the first being Off Armagedon's Reef). I really love how he blends military warfare with a truly dramatic story.
                  sigpic
                  Thank you Astra Per Aspera for the sig....... My Fan Fiction

Comment

Has anyone read Elric of Melinbone saga? If any one has there is a thread in this forum for Elric fans.

LS

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=66733

Comment

I took a break from reading my Patrick O'Brian series for a day (which is not Sci-Fi but he is one of the great writers of the 20th century) and picked another old Sci-Fi classic out of my library for a quick read:

The Forever War by Joe Haldeman

I love this book. Great humor. I would imagine most of the scifi buffs here on Gateworld have read it, but if you have not, I highly recommend it.
                      ---------------------
                      sigpic
                      Another theory on the expansion of the universe collapses!

Comment

Originally posted by Espeon1962 View Post
                        I took a break from reading my Patrick O'Brian series for a day (which is not Sci-Fi but he is one of the great writers of the 20th century) and picked another old Sci-Fi classic out of my library for a quick read:

The Forever War by Joe Haldeman

I love this book. Great humor. I would imagine most of the scifi buffs here on Gateworld have read it, but if you have not, I highly recommend it.
                        Haven't read anything by him.
                        sigpic

Comment

Hi Iffy, how are you?

The Forever War was published in 1972. It won every major award you could get in the Sci-Fi world, including the Nebula and Hugo awards. Its considered a pretty definitive classic.

I understand it has also been recently released, with the author adding a great deal that he was forced to cut out of the original in order to get it published (ie the literary version of a film "directors cut").

Its the story of a soldier of Earth, who because of relativitic speeds involved in space travel, is a soldier in a war which as it progresses, has thousands of years elapsing back on earth, so that not only does he lose his family, but as new recruites join the unit, things have changed so much back home that they are almost as alien to the "old timers" as the aliens they are fighting.

It was written as a war allegory (the Vietnam War given the time it was published) but was a huge success overall.

It is very humorous.

Many pages ago in this thread I listed my favorite scifi novels of all time, and one of the things I have been doing is gradually pulling them out of my library, and giving them a read again. Not a moment regreted.
                          ---------------------
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Espeon1962 View Post
                            Hi Iffy, how are you?

The Forever War was published in 1972. It won every major award you could get in the Sci-Fi world, including the Nebula and Hugo awards. Its considered a pretty definitive classic.

I understand it has also been recently released, with the author adding a great deal that he was forced to cut out of the original in order to get it published (ie the literary version of a film "directors cut").

Its the story of a soldier of Earth, who because of relativitic speeds involved in space travel, is a soldier in a war which as it progresses, has thousands of years elapsing back on earth, so that not only does he lose his family, but as new recruites join the unit, things have changed so much back home that they are almost as alien to the "old timers" as the aliens they are fighting.

It was written as a war allegory (the Vietnam War given the time it was published) but was a huge success overall.

It is very humorous.

Many pages ago in this thread I listed my favorite scifi novels of all time, and one of the things I have been doing is gradually pulling them out of my library, and giving them a read again. Not a moment regreted.
                            I'm good, wrkign a bit too much but good. How are you?

I just added it to my amazon cart.
                            sigpic

Comment

Good. I have been working a lot as well.

I just went to Amazon, and see there is a Feb 2009 edition. That is the one you want to get with all the extra - one of my friends told me about it. My copy is from 1974 so I am also going to make this purchase.
                              ---------------------
                              sigpic

Comment

i might have rto look out for this "writers cut"

have you read either of the sequals? (forever peace and forever free) i was wondering if they are any good?
                                Spoiler:
                                Disclaimer:
                                I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
                                Quotes!
                                - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
                                - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
                                - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X