Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sci-Fi/Fantasy Book Discussion/Appreciation Anyone..??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If none of you have read them yet, try out Guy Gavriel Kay's "Fionavar Tapestry", esp if you are a "mythological fantasy" fan.
    The books are:
    The Summer tree
    The Wandering Fire
    The Darkest Road

This was one of my favorite series when I was younger (err, say 16), and it was a great adventure. Green squared for this one.
    sigpic
    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
    The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Hm, never heard of that. I'll check it out.
      "YOU'RE EASIER THAN THE U.S. CONGRESS."~Nikola
      sigpic
      Sig by ME!!!

Comment

I've looked at them but never bought. Just too much out there.
        sigpic

Comment

anyone ever read the hunger Game and there are 2 more. I havent yet but want to lol

Team Ronan

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
            If none of you have read them yet, try out Guy Gavriel Kay's "Fionavar Tapestry", esp if you are a "mythological fantasy" fan.
            The books are:
            The Summer tree
            The Wandering Fire
            The Darkest Road

This was one of my favorite series when I was younger (err, say 16), and it was a great adventure. Green squared for this one.
            I have The Summer Tree but haven't read it yet.
            sigpic

Comment

So I have now realized that several sci-fi/fantasy authors have used the concept of axis mundi in their stories...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Axis_mundi
              "YOU'RE EASIER THAN THE U.S. CONGRESS."~Nikola
              sigpic
              Sig by ME!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Teyla-Joy View Post
                anyone ever read the hunger Game and there are 2 more. I havent yet but want to lol
                I read the first two. They're ok. Bit of a stretch with the premise and plot, but somewhat believable. What do you want to know about it? I read the first two, not the third which already came out.

I'll get around to those books Mimzy after I finish Hobb's apprentice thingie, pretty decent character stuff although some of it is awkward.

Comment

Originally posted by VampyreWraith View Post
                  I have The Summer Tree but haven't read it yet.
                  Read it. Admittedly I may have some rose coloured glasses on with it however
                  Actually, I might read them again now, none of them are really that long.

Other fun books. David Gemmel has some good ones (esp the ones about Druss), Wilbur Smith's series set in ancient Egypt is pretty good too. (Christian Jacq also has a good series, Rameses)

Another series I read as a kid was the Chronicles of Prydain (though with this one I was only 8 so my memory is alot more shakey on this one)

Last blast from the past for now, While Margret Wiess and Tracy Hickman are best known for thier Dragonlance books, they did work on another trilogy, the Darksword Trilogy. Not a bad fantasy series, but probably not as good as the DL series.
                  sigpic

Comment

Other fun books. David Gemmel has some good ones (esp the ones about Druss), Wilbur Smith's series set in ancient Egypt is pretty good too. (Christian Jacq also has a good series, Rameses)

Another series I read as a kid was the Chronicles of Prydain (though with this one I was only 8 so my memory is alot more shakey on this one)

Last blast from the past for now, While Margret Wiess and Tracy Hickman are best known for thier Dragonlance books, they did work on another trilogy, the Darksword Trilogy. Not a bad fantasy series, but probably not as good as the DL series.
                    I'll try reading it soon. I've got so many books that I want to read.
                    I have a few David Gemmel books. The ones that stood out for me were Ravenheart and Stormrider, but I liked the other books in Rigante series too.
                    sigpic

Comment

By Alexander Lloyd? I love those books.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Iffy View Post
                        By Alexander Lloyd? I love those books.
                        Yep, those are the ones. I had to do a little research to remember them (writer, series name etc). The only one I could remember off hand was "the black cauldron" and thats mainly because I have the Disney version on dvd for my kids. During the course of my reserch however, I see they have been reprinted so I might have to look into getting them. (I only ever borrowed them from the library at school). To be honest, it was probably the very first fantasy "series" I ever read.
                        Last edited by Gatefan1976; 15 September 2010, 07:00 PM. Reason: spelling
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jmoz View Post
                          I read the first two. They're ok. Bit of a stretch with the premise and plot, but somewhat believable. What do you want to know about it? I read the first two, not the third which already came out.

I'll get around to those books Mimzy after I finish Hobb's apprentice thingie, pretty decent character stuff although some of it is awkward.
                          Hey thanks and yeah Im thinking about buying it and just want to see what others think of it

Team Ronan

Comment

Yep, those are the ones. I had to do a little research to remember them (writer, series name etc). The only one I could remember off hand was "the black cauldron" and thats mainly because I have the Disney version on dvd for my kids. During the course of my reserch however, I see they have been reprinted so I might have to look into getting them. (I only ever borrowed them from the library at school). To be honest, it was probably the very first fantasy "series" I ever read.
                            I have never watched the Disney movie. I'm a bit afraid to see what they did to it.
                            sigpic

Comment

Anyone likes the Lord of the rings and chronicals of Narnia books?

Team Ronan

Comment

I really liked the Hobbit, then the Lord of the Rings trilogy I couldn't finish because of his extensive fondness for descriptive exhaustive detailed world building and petty politics. But I can see some of the beauty in it, the imagination. I mean very few have come up with such a detailed world. I think I read all the Chronicle books when I was younger and had less memory retention. I should read them again. They were pretty creative too but I didn't like how the kids were placed into these highly important roles without filing a job application

Comment

Working...
                                X