Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sci-Fi/Fantasy Book Discussion/Appreciation Anyone..??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kaze View Post
    Oh and I'm also interested in reading the Star Wars novels, since I'm a big fan of the (old) movies. But there are a lot of books I don't know where to start. Can you recommend one?
    I know a good one.... but you'd have to read a 20 book series, then a 3 book series, then a 9 book series, and then a stand alone for it to make sense
    Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a night. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm the rest of his life.
    ---
    sigpic

Comment

I read this really good stand alone Fantasy book called The Goblin Wood. It's something I would recommend to anyone who is into fantasy

Originally posted by Dallista View Post
      Roughly after that, the license went from Bantam books to Del Rey, and instead of a lot of trilogies and stand-alone books, suddenly we got big series:
      The New Jedi Order (uh... 16 or so novels, give or take a few)
      Legacy of the Force (9)
      and Fate of the Jedi (9; book #1 was released a few weeks ago).

I strongly advise you not to read any of those series yet. They're set far into the future. By then (I'm talking 40-45 years after A New Hope!) there are a *lot* of new and especially younger characters around.
      Try 21

You left out the Dark Nest Trilogy between New Jedi Order and the LOTF.

But that was a really good overview. Is the Thrawn Duology the one where Kyp Durron is introduced?
      Last edited by AtlantisRules!!!; 14 April 2009, 05:59 PM.
      Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a night. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm the rest of his life.
      ---
      sigpic

Comment

A few Star Wars books that are set before even the prequels are quite good, even though they don't contain the main trio, are the Jedi Apprentice series of books by Jude Watson. They centre on Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon, with Obi-Wan as just an apprentice. They were made for teenage readers, but were still quite good.

Comment

Originally posted by Fandom Addict View Post
          A few Star Wars books that are set before even the prequels are quite good, even though they don't contain the main trio, are the Jedi Apprentice series of books by Jude Watson. They centre on Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon, with Obi-Wan as just an apprentice. They were made for teenage readers, but were still quite good.
          The Darth Bane's were also good.
          ---
          sigpic

Comment

I never really had much interest in the SW novels (just in the movies), but now I'm considering reading some of them...there's so many, though
            "YOU'RE EASIER THAN THE U.S. CONGRESS."~Nikola
            sigpic
            Sig by ME!!!

Comment

i've only read one SW book, but i think i can recommend it, it is set after ep 6, all the characters are there, but leia and han have kids, it's called "the crystal star"
              Spoiler:
              Disclaimer:
              I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
              Quotes!
              - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
              - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
              - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
              sigpic

Comment

I just finished reading "The lies of Locke Lamora" by Scott Lynch. I highly recommend this book.

Comment

i not long ago finished a book called "misspent youth" which is set in the late 2030's rural britian, and is about an aging man who is famous for revolutionising the internet through inventing fast and cheap crystal based memory storage technology (which according to the book should be happening pretty soon), who is gifted with being the first human to be "rejuvinated" (made young again) and how this fact affects his 35 year old ex-model trophy wife, 70-something year old sister, 18 year old son, and society as a whole.

very good book, quite realistic, not too long, totally recommend it.
                  Spoiler:
                  Disclaimer:
                  I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
                  Quotes!
                  - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
                  - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
                  - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by AvatarIII View Post
                    i've only read one SW book, but i think i can recommend it, it is set after ep 6, all the characters are there, but leia and han have kids, it's called "the crystal star"
                    I haven't gotten to that one yet. Is it good?
                    ---
                    sigpic

Comment

There's a series called Pendragon that I really like. It's written at a teenager's reading level but it is realllly good. There are 9 books out so far.
                      ---
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by AtlantisRules!!! View Post
                        There's a series called Pendragon that I really like. It's written at a teenager's reading level but it is realllly good. There are 9 books out so far.
                        I've read a couple of them, they are rather good.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Iffy View Post
                          I've read a couple of them, they are rather good.
                          The ninth one is amazing. Tenth is coming in May
                          ---
                          sigpic

Comment

The ninth one is amazing. Tenth is coming in May
                            It's hard to get hold them as they are always checked out of the library.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Iffy View Post
                              It's hard to get hold them as they are always checked out of the library.
                              I buy them How far are you?
                              ---
                              sigpic

Comment

I buy them How far are you?
                                I've read two of them. They are very popular.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X