Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sci-Fi/Fantasy Book Discussion/Appreciation Anyone..??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by g.o.d View Post
    Dune!!!
    Dune is amazing, so i went and bought all the sequals and i read messiah, but only got halfway through children before i got so bored i actually had to stop reading, that's rare for me.
    Spoiler:
    Disclaimer:
    I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
    Quotes!
    - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
    - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
    - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by AvatarIII View Post
      the series is (in order)

The Eyre Affair · Lost in a Good Book · The Well of Lost Plots · Something Rotten · First Among Sequels · One of our Thursdays is Missing (not out yet)
      Where does "Thursday Next" fall in that lineup? Thanks for the order
      no means no, and so does pepper spray
      Sig by The Carpenter
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Girlbot View Post
        Where does "Thursday Next" fall in that lineup? Thanks for the order
        as far as i can work out..... there is no book called thursday next, although the cover for "first among sequals" could easily be seen as thursday next

Spoiler:
        Disclaimer:
        I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
        Quotes!
        - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
        sigpic

Comment

Yup, that's the one. Shame on them for putting the title that way. I was wondring what the first among sequels meant.
          Sig by The Carpenter
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Girlbot View Post
            Yup, that's the one. Shame on them for putting the title that way. I was wondring what the first among sequels meant.
            interesting though that it is the fourth sequal
            Spoiler:
            Disclaimer:
            Quotes!
            sigpic

Comment

the only thing i know about them is that gully foyle has a cameo, and he's one of the greatest characters in history!!
              ... Gully Foyle? As in The Stars My Destination, Gully Foyle?

The center of Khlysty surrounds me

Comment

interesting though that it is the fourth sequal
                And you wonder why I'm confused
                Sig by The Carpenter
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Anubis69 View Post
                  ... Gully Foyle? As in The Stars My Destination, Gully Foyle?
                  yup
                  Spoiler:
                  Disclaimer:
                  Quotes!
                  sigpic

Comment

the only thing i know about them is that gully foyle has a cameo, and he's one of the greatest characters in history!!
                    Wait--really?! I've only read the first Thursday Next book and wasn't jazzed enough to read the others. Which one is Gully Foyle referenced in? I'm going to have to read that....

I am so blessed! Cherriey made this cool sig; scarimor made this great Dr. Lee smilie and Spudster made another neat one Dr. Lee RULES!

Myn's fabulous twilight bark smilie:

Comment

yup
                      Amazing!
                      Originally posted by warmbeachbrat View Post
                      Wait--really?! I've only read the first Thursday Next book and wasn't jazzed enough to read the others. Which one is Gully Foyle referenced in? I'm going to have to read that....
                      Ditto! (Except without the part where WBB has started...)

TSMD was one of the first sci-fi books I read. It was a slow starter but it's just ... Brilliant!

Comment

Brilliant, Amazing, and several other adjectives that I'm too lazy to write. I first read it in "A Treasury of Great Science Fiction, volume 2". It's the only story from that volume that I really enjoyed and re-read often. Volume 1, however! It has great stories like "Re-birth" by John Wyndham, "The Father-Thing" by Philip K. Dick, "The [Widget], the [Wadget], and Boff" by Theodore Sturgeon, and a few other stories that were also quite good.

A couple of years ago, I manged to pick up the graphic novel on ebay. It was a little disappointing, but still a good try....

I am so blessed! Cherriey made this cool sig; scarimor made this great Dr. Lee smilie and Spudster made another neat one Dr. Lee RULES!

Myn's fabulous twilight bark smilie:

Comment

I'm now reading "Out of the Silent Planet" by C.S. Lewis.

Comment

i don't know it was just something i read on wikipedia once

Gully Foyle makes a cameo appearance as an agent for the Jurisfiction organisation in the BookWorld of author Jasper Fforde's Thursday Next series.
                            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sta...es_to_the_book
                            Spoiler:
                            Disclaimer:
                            Quotes!
                            sigpic

Comment

Brilliant, Amazing, and several other adjectives that I'm too lazy to write. I first read it in "A Treasury of Great Science Fiction, volume 2". It's the only story from that volume that I really enjoyed and re-read often. Volume 1, however! It has great stories like "Re-birth" by John Wyndham, "The Father-Thing" by Philip K. Dick, "The [Widget], the [Wadget], and Boff" by Theodore Sturgeon, and a few other stories that were also quite good.

A couple of years ago, I manged to pick up the graphic novel on ebay. It was a little disappointing, but still a good try....
                              Oh, that might be worth keeping a look-out for ... I'd love to see someone elses impression of the Burning Man. But i'll certainly heed your warning and not get my hopes up.

Comment

Originally posted by MmmmMcKAy View Post
                                I'm now reading "Out of the Silent Planet" by C.S. Lewis.
                                Agh, I keep trying to read that, but I never get the chance to! I love C.S. Lewis, though; he's my favorite author
                                "YOU'RE EASIER THAN THE U.S. CONGRESS."~Nikola
                                sigpic
                                Sig by ME!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X