Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sci-Fi/Fantasy Book Discussion/Appreciation Anyone..??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mimzy View Post
    LUCKYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!! I still haven't finished Sabriel yet I seriously have to buy the trilogy!

O
    M
    G
    another KttK fan!!!! Who's your fave character? Mine's Suzy
    Did you know that Superior Saturday is already out!?!? I had no idea until I went to go pre-order Breaking Dawn, so I ordered that to. Have you read it, and if so, is it as good as the rest.

Comment

No, I haven't read it yet!!! I'm actually kind of behind in the series But I SO have to buy it now
      "YOU'RE EASIER THAN THE U.S. CONGRESS."~Nikola
      sigpic
      Sig by ME!!!

Comment

I finished The Time Traveler's Wife a few days ago. It's a beautiful book and I teared up a few times.

Now I'm reading Cormac McCarthy's "The Road". Now that's a bleak and depressing book so far and I don't see how it could become any less bleak as it goes on. It's very beautifully written though and I am ripping right through it.

Somehow, I always feel like I'm being a sheep by reading an "Oprah" book club book. But she does recommend some very good novels.

Comment

Originally posted by MmmmMcKAy View Post
          Now I'm reading Cormac McCarthy's "The Road". Now that's a bleak and depressing book so far and I don't see how it could become any less bleak as it goes on. It's very beautifully written though and I am ripping right through it.
          GREAT book! I think I went through that one in a day and a half, it really is meant to be read in just a few sittings.

Comment

Has anyone read Garth Nix's The Ragwitch? It's so weird, but I love it...although I never finished b/c I'm terrible with library books and due dates I need to borrow it again
            "YOU'RE EASIER THAN THE U.S. CONGRESS."~Nikola
            sigpic
            Sig by ME!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mimzy View Post
              Has anyone read Garth Nix's The Ragwitch? It's so weird, but I love it...although I never finished b/c I'm terrible with library books and due dates I need to borrow it again
              I did the exact same thing with that book.....except I never even got around to starting it. So no, haven't read it.

That's the one downside to library books.....three weeks isn't very long if you have a stack of them.

Comment

Originally posted by MmmmMcKAy View Post
                That's sitting on my dining table, waiting to be read.
                Words to live by: "When in doubt, shoot at the guy yelling 'Kree!'."

Let's try this again: Spoiler-free 'til Season 4.5.

EJO on the blooper reel: "I hope you like it... or I'll SQUASH YOUR NUTS."

Spoiler:
                sigpic

Comment

Oh Lord! They're making a movie out of "The Road" too. It stars Viggo Mortenson and Charlize Theron
                  Spoiler:
                  as the wife in flashbacks
                  . It's supposed to come out near the end of the year.

I'm afraid.

Comment

Huh. I saw that book as more philosophical, gentle, and slow. If they turn it into a movie there's a very good chance it will become a huge action flick...

Comment

Has anyone read. "Thursday Next " by Jasper Fforde? I saw it at the book store, and it looked interesting, but want a review from someone before I buy it.
                      no means no, and so does pepper spray
                      Sig by The Carpenter
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Girlbot View Post
                        Has anyone read. "Thursday Next " by Jasper Fforde? I saw it at the book store, and it looked interesting, but want a review from someone before I buy it.
                        Those books are epic. Read em if you like weird, funny, books, or have a pulse.

Any of the above is recipe for enjoying these.

But make sure you've read Jane Eyre BEFORE you read the first one, or at least are familiar with the plot/how it ends, or the most hilarious (and huge plotwise) thing will go right over your head. I think that's the only necessary prerequisite.....

Comment

Originally posted by Trek_Girl42 View Post

But make sure you've read Jane Eyre BEFORE you read the first one, or at least are familiar with the plot/how it ends, or the most hilarious (and huge plotwise) thing will go right over your head. I think that's the only necessary prerequisite.....
                          the only thing i know about them is that gully foyle has a cameo, and he's one of the greatest characters in history!!
                          Spoiler:
                          Disclaimer:
                          I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
                          Quotes!
                          - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
                          - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
                          - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Trek_Girl42 View Post

Originally posted by AvatarIII View Post
                            the only thing i know about them is that gully foyle has a cameo, and he's one of the greatest characters in history!!
                            Thanks for the info. I will get them, and I am familiar with Jane Eyre.
                            So there are more books? I will have to find the first and start there before I read the Thursday one. thanks for letting me know. I usually only read one or two sentences of the cover synopsis, so I don't ruin the book, so I didn't know there were more.
                            no means no, and so does pepper spray
                            Sig by The Carpenter
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Girlbot View Post
                              Thanks for the info. I will get them, and I am familiar with Jane Eyre.
                              So there are more books? I will have to find the first and start there before I read the Thursday one. thanks for letting me know. I usually only read one or two sentences of the cover synopsis, so I don't ruin the book, so I didn't know there were more.
                              the series is (in order)

The Eyre Affair · Lost in a Good Book · The Well of Lost Plots · Something Rotten · First Among Sequels · One of our Thursdays is Missing (not out yet)
                              Spoiler:
                              Disclaimer:
                              I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
                              Quotes!
                              - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
                              - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
                              - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
                              sigpic

Comment

Dune!!!
                                Stolen Kosovo
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X