Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sci-Fi/Fantasy Book Discussion/Appreciation Anyone..??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wyrminarrd View Post
    Really? I can´t see how those books can translate into movies, the story is so far from linear that trying to force it into a movie format seems impossible.

Somekind of mini series would propably work a lot better.
    not sure, the idea of making Raul and Aenea the protaganists for the whole trilogy was mentioned,
    http://www.dansimmons.com/news/news_items.htm

The following news release appeared in The Hollywood Reporter on April 2nd of this year.

Warner Bros. nabs
    'Hyperion Cantos' adaptation

By Borys Kit and Gregg Goldstein
    April 2, 2008,

Producer Graham King has set up Dan Simmons' award-winning science fiction book series "Hyperion Cantos" at Warner Bros., with Trevor Sands on board to adapt the first two books as one feature. King is producing via his GK Films banner.

The first book, "Hyperion," won the Hugo Award for best novel in 1990, while the second, "The Fall of Hyperion," was nominated for a Nebula Award for best novel.

"Hyperion" deals with a space war, with most of the action taking place on a planet named Hyperion, known not only for its electricity-spewing trees but also for the Time Tombs, large artifacts that can move through time. The tombs are guarded by a monster called the Shrike, which impales people on metal trees.

King acquired the rights to the series several years ago, but its structure, inspired by Boccaccio's "Decameron" and Chaucer's "Canterbury Tales," and its multiple timelines made the task of adapting it into a feature unwieldy and challenging.

Brought in by GK Films' Grey Rembert and Gail Lyon, Sands won over the execs by taking a selective approach to the two novels' multiple points of view in a way that managed to coherently and unconfusingly tell the story.

Lynn Harris is overseeing at Warners.

Sands co-wrote and directed the 2002 indie "Inside," starring Jeremy Sisto. Other writing credits include the Sony sci-fi project "Resurrection," Dimension's "Six Billion Dollar Man" and an adaptation of David Brin's sci-fi novel "Startide Rising" for Paramount and producer Mace Neufeld.

He is repped by Endeavor and manager Jewerl Ross.

Borys Kit reported from Los Angeles; Gregg Goldstein reported from New York.
    Spoiler:
    Disclaimer:
    I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
    Quotes!
    - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
    - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
    - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mimzy View Post
      Yeah, me too...del Toro's good, from what I've heard. I still have yet to see Pan's Labyrinth.
      Oh. oh, Pan's Labyrinth. Big fan here. that film was AMAZING.
      There is quite a few films that make me cry but at the end I was soo crying. Having said that, of course, you chose to believe the oppimistic finale but the realistic in me was having another ideas.

there is anyone here who is a Wheel of Time fan?
      I'm really afraid to see how they'll finish up the entire series with the final book, especially when you consider that Robert Jordan's death. Thank goodness, that Mr. Jordan was quite nice to his fans and with his notes his series could be ended but there are so many hanging plots that I'm not sure how all of them will tie up with the final book.
      sigpic
      Banner made by Stef

Save the sexy female alien, save the SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by gioia View Post
        There is quite a few films that make me cry but at the end I was soo crying. Having said that, of course, you chose to believe the oppimistic finale but the realistic in me was having another ideas.

I'm really afraid to see how they'll finish up the entire series with the final book, especially when you consider that Robert Jordan's death. Thank goodness, that Mr. Jordan was quite nice to his fans and with his notes his series could be ended but there are so many hanging plots that I'm not sure how all of them will tie up with the final book.
        I am a fan of the wheel of time series though I have to say that´s really been put to the test with the last 4 books or so.

Jordan should have finished this series in book nine or ten but instead he dragged it out way past any reasonable length.

I hope that the guy they got to finish the series will simply decide to focus the attention on Rand and get the story done instead of following up on all these extra plotlines that just stole away from the central story.

Comment

Originally posted by Wyrminarrd View Post
          I am a fan of the wheel of time series though I have to say that´s really been put to the test with the last 4 books or so.

Jordan should have finished this series in book nine or ten but instead he dragged it out way past any reasonable length.

I hope that the guy they got to finish the series will simply decide to focus the attention on Rand and get the story done instead of following up on all these extra plotlines that just stole away from the central story.
          I love WoT. It is pretty much my favorite series. I do agree that the books slowed, but the only one that really drags for me is CoT. I loved KoD, you could really feel the Last Battle coming. I enjoy the politics and other cultures and characters. I kept a notebook with new character names, things about them, if I thought they were a Dark Friend or other theories I had (I had theory book for Harry Potter too and it was interesting to read after DH came out!). I lost it though and now I am lost with all the characters because I did that years ago and haven't had time to read them for a long time. I don't have much time these days, but I want to do a re-red of all of the books and start another notebook before A Memory of Light comes out.

I really doubt that Brandon Sanderson will ignore the other characters and their plot lines. First, he was picked by Harriet (R.J.'s wife and editor) to finish this immense task. He has R.J.'s notes as well as Harriet and Wilson who know the whole story, how it is supposed to be written. I am sure he will tell this story in his own wonderful way, but he wants to honor R.J.'s memory and hard work. He is not only an amazing writer himself, but a fan as well. Second, I for one want to know what happens with the rest of the extra plot strands that are left hanging. I am sure there will be some things left up to speculate on, but for the most part I want closure. I also want to know what theories I am way off on and which I was right on, lol!

I read all kinds of other series. Mostly fantasy. Harry Potter would be my biggest obsession (besides WoT), with Twilight coming in next (for he hot vamps and Romeo & Juliet type love story )
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by gioia View Post

i'm so glad i tend to read series by authors who know how to plan and don't just make it up as they go along
            Spoiler:
            Disclaimer:
            I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
            Quotes!
            - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
            - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
            - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by AvatarIII View Post
              i'm so glad i tend to read series by authors who know how to plan and don't just make it up as they go along
              I feel the same way. I read Dragonriders of Pern, and all the Pern books and it amazed me how the author must have planned ahead.
              no means no, and so does pepper spray
              Sig by The Carpenter
              sigpic

Comment

Is The Dragon Riders of Pern really all that it's rumored to be?

Comment

I'm not sure; should I be admitting to the fact that I finished reading Artemis Fowl: The Time Paradox many hours ago?

Oh, and yeah, it never gets old. Mentioning that WoT is my favorite series, that is.

Comment

There's a new Artemis Fowl book out?????

Why did I not get a memo on this?
                    (I really need to keep up with the news...)

Comment

Originally posted by Kezia View Post
                      There's a new Artemis Fowl book out?????

Why did I not get a memo on this?
                      (I really need to keep up with the news...)
                      Yeah, it came out yesterday -- soon to be two days ago.

It's pretty dang good too. Number 1 and 6 are my official favorites; not a bad way to end the series either (which it could well be).

Comment

Originally posted by Oranos View Post
                        Yeah, it came out yesterday -- soon to be two days ago.

It's pretty dang good too. Number 1 and 6 are my official favorites; not a bad way to end the series either (which it could well be).
                        Cool.

I remember being all depressed after finishing #3 since it was supposedly going to be the last one, but so much for that...

My favourites are still #1-3, I thought the last two were a letdown to be perfectly honest... I'm optimistic about this one though

Comment

Originally posted by Kezia View Post
                          Cool.

I remember being all depressed after finishing #3 since it was supposedly going to be the last one, but so much for that...
                          According to Colfer, The Time Paradox is the last one, for at least three years.

We can talk more after you read.

If I had to rank though: 1 and 6 are too close to call, 3, 4, 2, and 5.

Comment

I'm not sure; should I be admitting to the fact that I finished reading Artemis Fowl: The Time Paradox many hours ago?

Oh, and yeah, it never gets old. Mentioning that WoT is my favorite series, that is.
                            Realllllly, it's out?????? Yay! I've got a library request for it, *sigh* hold number thirty-something, I think. Didn't realize it was coming out so soon though!

Shamefully I can't remember what happened in the last one, though I will as soon as I start this one.

Comment

Originally posted by Trek_Girl42 View Post
                              Realllllly, it's out?????? Yay! I've got a library request for it, *sigh* hold number thirty-something, I think. Didn't realize it was coming out so soon though!
                              I had mine reserved a century ago, then had my dad go and get it ... in the rain.

Originally posted by Trek_Girl42
                              Shamefully I can't remember what happened in the last one, though I will as soon as I start this one.
                              That's probably because it was so darn bad compared to the others.

Comment

Originally posted by Trek_Girl42 View Post
                                That always happens to me.

Which is why I'm heading down to the bookstore tomorrow to buy it.

That's probably because it was so darn bad compared to the others.
                                Agreed...

Comment

Working...
                                X