Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sci-Fi/Fantasy Book Discussion/Appreciation Anyone..??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lady Snow View Post
    The screenplay hasn't yet been finished. When I went to an Orson Scott Card signing in December, he talked a bit about it; he wants to retain as much control over the screenplay as possible, so we don't get stuck with something ridiculous like a teenaged Ender and love interests. Apparently this was proposed by a studio exec. Wolfgang Peterson is no longer attached to the project either, which could be good or bad, depending on how much one enjoyed Troy. So, that's the status. It'll be several years - minimum - before we see EG on the big screen. (I'm going to another signing next week, so if anything new comes up, I'll keep you informed. )

And you need to read the book yesterday. It's that good.
    Thank god. There's nothing worse than seeing a book come to screen with a tacked on crap love interest plot as if women wouldn't go to see the movie otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by Lady Snow View Post
      The screenplay hasn't yet been finished. When I went to an Orson Scott Card signing in December, he talked a bit about it; he wants to retain as much control over the screenplay as possible, so we don't get stuck with something ridiculous like a teenaged Ender and love interests. Apparently this was proposed by a studio exec. Wolfgang Peterson is no longer attached to the project either, which could be good or bad, depending on how much one enjoyed Troy. So, that's the status. It'll be several years - minimum - before we see EG on the big screen. (I'm going to another signing next week, so if anything new comes up, I'll keep you informed. )

And you need to read the book yesterday. It's that good.

ooo, a movie! I've heard it's a good book. I'm glad I have some time to read it, because I still have Narnia and WoT to finish, and the Nightrunner books are on my list after that. I have three of the Ender books, but at the rate I'm going, with work this summer and school in the fall, it'll be awhile till I get to them.

By the way, I'm rereading Narnia in publication order. Is Voyage of the Dawn Treader the last book with any of the original four children? I'm in the middle of it right now, and I had thought Lucy, at least, was in another book, but it's been years since I read it and I didn't see her name in any of the descriptions.
      gatehorse

lj here if you're interested.

Comment

Well, the Silver Chair(my favorite, I think), Magician's Nephew, and the Horse and His Boy all have different main characters. I'm looking at my old copy of The Horse and His Boy and it has a bit of the 4 Pevensies in it. Peter is the reigning king.

I THINK The Last Battle has the 4 in it as well. It's been a heck of a long time since I've read those books.

Comment

Just finished China Mieville's "Un Lun Dun". Very enjoyable and imaginative, a good pick for those who like the "kids thrown into a fantastical world" element ala HP and Narnia.

Comment

Originally posted by gatehorse View Post
            ooo, a movie! I've heard it's a good book. I'm glad I have some time to read it, because I still have Narnia and WoT to finish, and the Nightrunner books are on my list after that. I have three of the Ender books, but at the rate I'm going, with work this summer and school in the fall, it'll be awhile till I get to them.

By the way, I'm rereading Narnia in publication order. Is Voyage of the Dawn Treader the last book with any of the original four children? I'm in the middle of it right now, and I had thought Lucy, at least, was in another book, but it's been years since I read it and I didn't see her name in any of the descriptions.
            Oh, a NARNIA question!! I am freaking obsessed...I can tell you everything

Anyhoo, MmmmMcKAy is right, HHB has the 4 Pevensies in it (5th book in publication order), and so does LB (last book in publication order).

Originally posted by MmmmMcKAy View Post
            Well, the Silver Chair(my favorite, I think), Magician's Nephew, and the Horse and His Boy all have different main characters. I'm looking at my old copy of The Horse and His Boy and it has a bit of the 4 Pevensies in it. Peter is the reigning king.

I THINK The Last Battle has the 4 in it as well. It's been a heck of a long time since I've read those books.
            Oh, SC is my favorite too!!!
            "YOU'RE EASIER THAN THE U.S. CONGRESS."~Nikola
            sigpic
            Sig by ME!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Trek_Girl42 View Post
              I absolutely agree. I can count on one hand the number of love stories in science fiction that I actually like. One hand. For all of the books, tv shows and movies that I've seen. The Time Traveller's Wife is on that hand.
              I think you and the other fans will enjoy this:

http://www.comingsoon.net/films.php?id=36537

Comment

Originally posted by MartianManhunter View Post
                I think you and the other fans will enjoy this:

http://www.comingsoon.net/films.php?id=36537
                They'd better not frak it up.

Comment

I think I'm afraid to see that. Movie versions hardly ever live up to the books that they are based on. More often than not, they suck.

Comment

Originally posted by MmmmMcKAy View Post
                    I think I'm afraid to see that. Movie versions hardly ever live up to the books that they are based on. More often than not, they suck.
                    No joke. I learned what it was like to have my childhood abused by the movie industry with mediocre film adaptations like the suckfest they called the Golden Compass.

I recently heard there was a Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell movie in the works. Please no...

Though must admit I'm optimistic about the Hobbit movie, mostly due to the awesomeness of Mr Del Toro.
                    Last edited by Kezia; 14 July 2008, 01:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kezia View Post
                      No joke. I learned what it was like to have my childhood abused by the movie industry with mediocre film adaptations like the suckfest they called the Golden Compass.

I recently heard there was a Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell movie in the works. Please no...

Though must admit I'm optimistic about the Hobbit movie, mostly due to the awesomeness of Mr Del Toro.
                      Hard to say whether a Jonathan Strange movie would work- I'd be curious to see how it would be done (how long would it be? ), but bad adaptions don't generally ruin the book for me. If the author has done their job in writing a good book, that shouldn't happen.

And Guillermo Del Toro can adapt any book as far as I'm concerned.

Comment

I have hopes for The Hobbit too.

Comment

Yeah, me too...del Toro's good, from what I've heard. I still have yet to see Pan's Labyrinth.
                          "YOU'RE EASIER THAN THE U.S. CONGRESS."~Nikola
                          sigpic
                          Sig by ME!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mimzy View Post
                            Yeah, me too...del Toro's good, from what I've heard. I still have yet to see Pan's Labyrinth.
                            Get your hands on that movie! It's genius!

Comment

do you all know WB has announced that it will eventually make a Hyperion movie trilogy!!!
                              Spoiler:
                              Disclaimer:
                              I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
                              Quotes!
                              - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
                              - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
                              - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by AvatarIII View Post
                                do you all know WB has announced that it will eventually make a Hyperion movie trilogy!!!
                                Really? I can´t see how those books can translate into movies, the story is so far from linear that trying to force it into a movie format seems impossible.

Somekind of mini series would propably work a lot better.

Comment

Working...
                                X