Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sci-Fi/Fantasy Book Discussion/Appreciation Anyone..??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reading Patrick by Stephen Lawhead.
    sigpic
    Save a Man-of-War, ride a Commodore.

Comment

"The Cleopatra Crisis" by Simon Hawke.

Book eleven in the "Time Wars" series.
      sigpic
      Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
      To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
      And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Toll the Hounds - Malazan Book of the Fallen Book 8 (finished)

Dust of Dreams - Malazan Book of the Fallen Book 9 (current)
        sigpic

Comment

"The Six-Gun Solution" by Simon Hawke.

Twelfth and final book in the "Time Wars" series.
          sigpic
          Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,

Comment

Currently reading "The Rolling Stones" by Robert Heinlein.

Comment

"Arrow: Vengeance" by Oscar Balderrama and Lauren Certo.
              sigpic

Comment

I haven't read much in the last couple of months, been busy with several different projects. I didn't go back through this thread to see what I last mentioned, so I may have missed one or two. Last night I finished Naomi Novik's Uprooted, probably right around the time its Nebula win was announced. I'm not a huge fantasy fan, but I liked it quite a bit.

Comment

Finished reading "The Hercules text" by Jack McDevitt.

Next up is "The Skull Thrones" by Peter V. Brett.

Comment

"Moon Blink" by Sadie Miller.

Fifth in the "HAVOC Files" series of Doctor Who spin off novels featuring Col. Lethbridge-Stewart, and detailing the events that led the foundation of UNIT.
                    sigpic

Comment

"Clockwork Angels" by Kevin J. Anderson. It's pretty much based on the Rush album, and the author did some correlations with Brian Herbert for Dune, so he's involved with a lot of stuff I'm a fan of.
                      Really hoping to get my hands on "The Hobbit" within the next few weeks, also looking forward to some stuff by Peter S. Beagel :^)

Comment

Darth Plagueis-
                        A novel by James Luceno that tells the backstory of Dark Lord of the Sith Darth Plagueis....the Sith who trained Darth Sidious.

The Walking Dead: Rise of the Governor-
                        A post-apocalyptic horror novel written by Robert Kirkman and Jay Bonansinga. It explores the back-story of one of the series' most infamous characters, The Governor.
                        sigpic

"The dark side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural."
                        ~ Supreme Chancellor Palpatine/Darth Sidious

Comment

A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin. I know it's highly regarded by most, and there's some well-written scenes, but this type of fantasy, with wizards, dragons, etc., just doesn't do it for me.

Comment

"Who Killed Sherlock Holmes?" by Paul Cornell.

Book three of the "Shadow Police" series of police procedurals/urban fantasy novels. Sort of like "Supernatural" meets "The Sweeney".
                            sigpic

Comment

The Crippled God - Malazan Book of the Fallen Book 10 (final book)

This series was not as long as the Wheel of Time, but it was so much more challenging to follow (reading level???) that it feels longer. Overall I would recommend the series to serious fantasy fans that don't mind a rough, gritty style that is complex and sometimes hard to follow but rewarding if you do.
                              sigpic

Comment

Malka Older's first novel, Infomocracy, is damn good. A taut, suspenseful thriller. While set about 50 years from now in a world with a totally transformed political landscape, it also has some eerie parallels to current topics, especially the presidential campaigns and how the media seems to control the narrative.

Comment

Working...
                                X