Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sci-Fi/Fantasy Book Discussion/Appreciation Anyone..??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rkgardner2003 View Post
    I haven't read these, but I really enjoyed her Parasol Protectorate series.
    I picked up three "Parasol Protectorate" books while I was at the library, but it was only once I got home that I discovered that they were books 2, 3, and 5 in the series.

But I imagine I'll be able to pick things up as I go along.
    sigpic
    Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
    To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
    And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Finished reading "Lost fleet: Beyond the frontier: Leviathan" by John Campbell.

Currently reading "Quozl" by Alan Dean Foster. I honestly can't remember if I've read this book before, there are things that seem familiar but that might just be because I've read a lot of his books and am getting them mixed up.

Comment

"Changeless" by Gail Carriger.

Book two of the "Parasol Protectorate" series.
        sigpic
        Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,

Comment

Haven't had a lot of time for reading lately. I checked back to when I had last posted here, and what I haven't mentioned is the two Hugo winners from Fritz Leiber, The Big Time and The Wanderer. Can't recommend either.

I did pick up the first volume trade paperback of Jessica Jones: Alias, and read it on a flight back from California last night. I've got volumes 2 & 3 on my radar now, and #4 is up for pre-order.

I recently signed up for Audible.com and got two free books, but I will likely cancel that before the month is out. I listened to Felicia Day's "You're Never Weird on the Internet (Almost)" on the flight out to CA. She reads it herself, wouldn't have made sense otherwise. There is probably a profanity filter on this board, so I won't let you in on all the cursing she does, mainly dealing with comments she had gotten from weirdos online.

I needed to wait and be able to concentrate more while listening to the novel "Planetfall" by Emma Newman. It's been getting good reviews, and the two chapters I listened to show promise, plus Ms. Newman reads it herself, and she has a pleasing, soft English accent.

EDIT: I forgot I have also started Can and Can'Tankerous, a short story collection from Harlan Ellison, which I got free from Net Galley. Other than the Nebula-winning "How Interesting: A Tiny Man," I haven't been impressed with anything else yet. I don't think any of them have been collected or anthologized yet, and most are ones he wrote in one of his bookstore or convention challenges of writing on the spot from ideas presented by others.
          Last edited by ecgordon; 12 December 2015, 12:43 PM.

Comment

Finished reading "Quozl" by Alan Dean Foster. Turned out that I had read the book before, i remembered the second half of the book much better than the first.

Haven't decided what to read next.

Comment

Hyperion by Dan Simmons

I'm currently on The Scholar's Tale: "The River Lethe's Taste is Bitter"

This must be a well written book because my heart hurts as I read this section.
              sigpic

Comment

"Blameless" by Gail Carriger.

Book three of the "Parasol Protectorate" series.

While I'm enjoying this series, it annoys me that the author occasionally slips up and has characters from the Victorian era spouting Americanisms.
                sigpic

Comment

Currently reading The Aeronaut's Windlass by Jim Butcher.
                  sigpic
                  Save a Man-of-War, ride a Commodore.

Comment

Originally posted by BruTak View Post
                    While I'm enjoying this series, it annoys me that the author occasionally slips up and has characters from the Victorian era spouting Americanisms.
                    And there was more of this in book five "Timeless".

Set in the 1870s, there was a scene where members of a theatrical troupe were singing the well known campfire song "Shine up your buttons with Brasso".

A very good trick, considering that Brasso wasn't invented until the early 1900s.
                    This is what happens when an author doesn't do their research properly.
                    sigpic

Comment

The Martian by Andy Weir. If you enjoyed the movie, or even if you haven't seen it, read it.
                      sigpic

Comment

Holiday book- "Hogfather" by Terry Pratchett
                        sigpic

Comment

"The Great Zoo of China" by Matthew Reilly.

Basically, it's "Jurassic Park", in China, with dragons.
                          sigpic

Comment

Now reading Promise of Blood by Brian McClellan (first book in the Powder Mage trilogy)
                            sigpic

Comment

"Prudence" by Gail Carriger.

Book one of "The Custard Protocol" series.
                              sigpic

Comment

Finished reading "The Human division" by John Scalzi.

Next up is probably "Ancillary Justice" by Ann Leckie.

Comment

Working...
                                X