Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sci-Fi/Fantasy Book Discussion/Appreciation Anyone..??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know they're a bit for the younger crowd, but I absolutely love The Spiderwick Chronicles. The movie was good, but it didn't exactly do the books justice, since it cut out the entire 4th book and parts of the 3rd. But overall, it stayed true to the spirit of them. I really recommend the books, actually, even if you're way past that reading level. Honestly, I think some of the stuff in them is a bit heavy for really young kids. They're so short you could probably finish them all in a day, but they're so good!
    "YOU'RE EASIER THAN THE U.S. CONGRESS."~Nikola
    sigpic
    Sig by ME!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mimzy View Post
      I know they're a bit for the younger crowd, but I absolutely love The Spiderwick Chronicles. The movie was good, but it didn't exactly do the books justice, since it cut out the entire 4th book and parts of the 3rd. But overall, it stayed true to the spirit of them. I really recommend the books, actually, even if you're way past that reading level. Honestly, I think some of the stuff in them is a bit heavy for really young kids. They're so short you could probably finish them all in a day, but they're so good!
      I keep wanting to read those- someone in my house has a copy but I've been ordered to keep my hands off it until others have read it first.

Comment

Has anyone read Charlaine Harris's "Southern Vampire" series? I heard it's the basis for Alan Ball's upcoming HBO series "True Blood". Are the books worthwhile?

Comment

Has anyone here read the Bartimaeus trilogy by Jonathan Stroud? The Amulet of Samakand, The Golem's Eye and Ptolemy's Gate. I just finished reading them for the second time and loved them even more than the first time. A really good storyline with a good dose of humour.

I'm also a big Harry Potter and Artemis Fowl fan. Oh and also Tolkien as well
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gate-builder View Post
            Has anyone here read the Bartimaeus trilogy by Jonathan Stroud? The Amulet of Samakand, The Golem's Eye and Ptolemy's Gate. I just finished reading them for the second time and loved them even more than the first time. A really good storyline with a good dose of humour.
            Those books were great! There's so much excellent kids fantasy books out there at the moment, and a lot of it is very quality stuff; I think that series is one of the best (the ending was something I've never seen done in a children's book and I was thrilled by it.).

Has anyone else read anything by Cornelia Funke? Her "Inkspell" trilogy (there first two are out, not sure when the third will be) is marvelous, especially the first book which has been made into a film coming out this year. She also has a couple of other lovely books called "Dragon Rider" and "The Thief Lord" that I think any age can enjoy; she's a very good storyteller and "Inkspell" is themed for anyone who loves books.

Comment

Originally posted by AvatarIII View Post
              "The Stars My Destination" by Alfred Baster... is AWESOME!!!

i'm about halfway through and for a 50 year old book, written before anyone had been to space... it has things we take for granted in sci-fi books like High G accellerations and 0 Gravity, and holograms, and anti-grav beams and loads of other cool stuff

It really is a great book! I read it years and years ago in "A Treasury of Great Science Fiction" (a marvelous two-volume set of novels, short stories, and novellas from the Golden Age of science fiction) and I pull it out every now and again to re-read.

Hmm--it had other great novels in it, too. Re-Birth by John Wyndham; The Widget, The Wadget, And Boff by Theodore Sturgeon; The Father-Thing by Philip K. Dick, etc. Wonderful stuff!

I am so blessed! Cherriey made this cool sig; scarimor made this great Dr. Lee smilie and Spudster made another neat one Dr. Lee RULES!

Myn's fabulous twilight bark smilie:

Comment

Originally posted by warmbeachbrat View Post
                S; The Father-Thing by Philip K. Dick, etc. Wonderful stuff!
                I have a number of Philip K Dick books. the man was a little over the edge, but boy are his stories good. Have you read "Total recall" the story is much better than the movie. they really added to that one. And "Do Androids dream of Electric Sheep". they made "Blade Runner" out of that story.
                I really love the old Sci fi books so much better. It is fascinating to see how the Scifi mind of yesterday has turned into the science of today.
                no means no, and so does pepper spray
                Sig by The Carpenter
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Girlbot View Post
                  I have a number of Philip K Dick books. the man was a little over the edge, but boy are his stories good. Have you read "Total recall" the story is much better than the movie. they really added to that one. And "Do Androids dream of Electric Sheep". they made "Blade Runner" out of that story.
                  I really love the old Sci fi books so much better. It is fascinating to see how the Scifi mind of yesterday has turned into the science of today.
                  "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?" is fantastic (and that is possibly the best title ever ). That's the only Philip K. Dick book that I've read; I keep meaning to read more but just haven't gotten around to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Trek_Girl42 View Post
                    "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?" is fantastic (and that is possibly the best title ever ). That's the only Philip K. Dick book that I've read; I keep meaning to read more but just haven't gotten around to it.
                    I have two books of his short stories. Try finding "Total Recall" the short story, much better than the movie.
                    Sig by The Carpenter
                    sigpic

Comment

I have two books of his short stories. Try finding "Total Recall" the short story, much better than the movie.
                      Never seen the movie.

Comment

Originally posted by Trek_Girl42 View Post
                        Never seen the movie.
                        Well your not missing much. But do try to find the story, you'll like that one.
                        Sig by The Carpenter
                        sigpic

Comment

Well your not missing much. But do try to find the story, you'll like that one.
                          hey.. i like the movie

and i believe the short story vers. is called "remember me for the wholesale" or something like that...
                          Spoiler:
                          Disclaimer:
                          I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
                          Quotes!
                          - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
                          - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
                          - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by AvatarIII View Post
                            hey.. i like the movie

and i believe the short story vers. is called "remember me for the wholesale" or something like that...
                            "We can remember it for you wholesale"
                            the story is better. I did like the movie Paycheck. that was his too.
                            Sig by The Carpenter
                            sigpic

Comment

Heh, he's really good with titles isn't he.

I liked the movie Paycheck as well.

Anyone read "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy? I'm partway through (surprisingly quick read), and it's pretty excellent.

Comment

i prefered minority report, and bladerunner, and a scanner darkly.. all of them were his too
                                Spoiler:
                                Disclaimer:
                                I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
                                Quotes!
                                - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
                                - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
                                - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X