Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sci-Fi/Fantasy Book Discussion/Appreciation Anyone..??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Oranos View Post
    They are. I quite like Butler.

Hmm ... Haven't actually read those, been patiently awaiting "The Time Paradox," though.

Would you judge "The Supernaturalist" and "The Wish" to be as good as Artemis Fowl? Better?
    Hmm, it's been about three or four years since I read them, but I'd say they're on par with the Artemis books. I find Eoin Colfer's books to be consistently good, I first read "Artemis Fowl" seven or eight years ago, and I'm still reading the series.

Comment

Originally posted by Trek_Girl42 View Post
      No shame in reading Artie. Those books are great fun, "The Supernaturalist" and "The Wish" were good as well.

Currently reading "At the Mountains of Madness" by H.P. Lovecraft.

Regarding the Dune series, I've only read the first one (it was my first sci-fi book, well after Hitchhiker's Guide), loved it, but haven't felt any inclination to continue with the series. I'll probably pick up "Dune Messiah" some day though.
      i would say don't bother, i loved dune, messiah was okayish but i couldnt even finish children of dune it was so boring...
      Spoiler:
      Disclaimer:
      I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
      Quotes!
      - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
      - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
      - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
      sigpic

Comment

No shame in reading Artie. Those books are great fun, "The Supernaturalist" and "The Wish" were good as well.

Currently reading "At the Mountains of Madness" by H.P. Lovecraft.

Regarding the Dune series, I've only read the first one (it was my first sci-fi book, well after Hitchhiker's Guide), loved it, but haven't felt any inclination to continue with the series. I'll probably pick up "Dune Messiah" some day though.
        Oh I do so love Lovecraft
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Oranos View Post
          I'm simply amazed I haven't gotten around to making a post in this thread, yet. It's almost criminal.

I think my personal favorites include these:

The Wheel of Time - Robert JordanElantris/Mistborn Trilogy - Brandon Sanderson (Oddly enough, he's the man who will finish The Wheel of Time).
          Shannara - Terry Brooks

I will also admit a certain fondness for *cough* the Artemis Fowl series. *cough*
          If I actually had my book collection here with me at college, I'm sure I could add a few more titles to the list.
          Is The Wheel Of Time really good? I remember someone telling me about it but I never got around to reading it.

There is nothing wrong with reading the Artemis Fowl series! I read the first one a few years ago and I thought it was really good, I cant wait to see the movie.

Comment

Originally posted by MartianManhunter View Post
            Is The Wheel Of Time really good? I remember someone telling me about it but I never got around to reading it.
            Pure gold. Haven't read anything better and I doubt I ever will.

Originally posted by MartianManhunter
            There is nothing wrong with reading the Artemis Fowl series! I read the first one a few years ago and I thought it was really good, I cant wait to see the movie.
            There's a movie? Really? When does that come out?

Comment

Yes I've heard there's a movie coming out soon too; not sure when unfortunately.

As for recommendations; has anyone mentioned Trudi Cannavan yet? I find her "The Black Magician" trilogy enthralling!

And Megan Lindholm (who is better known as Robin Hobb) is an absolutely incredible writer! I originally found her through the "Farseer" Trilogy, but hearing rumours of just how good her earlier work was led to my seeking out "Harpy's Flight". It's not set in the world of Fitz and the Fool, but she's quite obviously poured talent and effort into this book; I just couldn't put it down!

Add me as an "Ender's Game" and "Pern" fan too!

Yay! First Post!

Comment

There's going to be a movie! I had no idea! And I usually know these things.....

Got a link? I can't find it listed on IMDB.

Comment

I don't know if it's taboo to recommend Star Wars here , but the New Jedi Order series, the novel Star by Star in particular, was excellent. Star by Star is one of my favorite books ever.

But my favorite sci-fi book is Ender's Game...it's one of the few nonfiction books I've read more than once. And Ender's Shadow is almost as good.

I'm also currently reading The Saga of Seven Suns by Kevin J. Anderson (almost done with Book 2). I am really enjoying it.
                  sigpic
                  FOX Network

Comment

Originally posted by Pepermint Jaffa View Post
                    I don't know if it's taboo to recommend Star Wars here , but the New Jedi Order series, the novel Star by Star in particular, was excellent. Star by Star is one of my favorite books ever.

But my favorite sci-fi book is Ender's Game...it's one of the few nonfiction books I've read more than once. And Ender's Shadow is almost as good.

I'm also currently reading The Saga of Seven Suns by Kevin J. Anderson (almost done with Book 2). I am really enjoying it.
                    Book 5 (of fire and night) is the best!! metal swarm was a bit too much action not enough story...

cant wait till book 7

anyhoo

i just finished I Am Legend

and now reading The Stars Our Destinations (Tiger! Tiger!) and it's good so far!!
                    Spoiler:
                    Disclaimer:
                    I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
                    Quotes!
                    - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
                    sigpic

Comment

I found these videos- from a 1992 Canadian show called "Prisoners of Gravity" that interviewed various sci-fi writers on topics such as fans, science and technology, Tolkien, etc. It's pretty interesting stuff to look at now. Authors interviewed on the show include George R.R. Martin, Spider Robinson, Jack Vance, Neil Gaiman, Alan Moore, Terry Pratchett, Guy Gavriel Kay, Harlan Ellison, Larry Niven, Gregory Benford, Douglas Adams, Lois McMaster Bujold, and a whole host of others.

Comment

"the stars our destinations" is really good so far... for a book writen in the 50's it's way ahead of it's time!!
                        Spoiler:
                        Disclaimer:
                        Quotes!
                        sigpic

Comment

There's going to be a movie! I had no idea! And I usually know these things.....

Got a link? I can't find it listed on IMDB.
                          I can't remember the website I found it on but wikipedia has some pretty accurate info about the film:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artemis_Fowl_%28series%29

Comment

I can't remember the website I found it on but wikipedia has some pretty accurate info about the film:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artemis_Fowl_%28series%29
                            Ahh, some bells are ringing now, I think I remember reading soemthing along the lines of Colfer writing the script a few years ago. Looks like it's still awhile off though, if the strike as interrupted the script process- I certainly doubt that it will be out in 2008 as it says there.

Comment

^Hopefully they'll be able to patch things up and get the ball rolling because I really want to see this movie!

Comment

"The Stars My Destination" by Alfred Baster... is AWESOME!!!

i'm about halfway through and for a 50 year old book, written before anyone had been to space... it has things we take for granted in sci-fi books like High G accellerations and 0 Gravity, and holograms, and anti-grav beams and loads of other cool stuff
                                Spoiler:
                                Disclaimer:
                                Quotes!
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X