Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sci-Fi/Fantasy Book Discussion/Appreciation Anyone..??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LeftHandedGuitarist View Post
    Over the past few years of reading, these are the SF/fantasy books that have really stood out for me:

(snipped)

Any recommendations/comments on the ones I have waiting to read?
    I would highly recommend almost anything by David Weber (especially the Honor Harrington series and his newest ones) and the Thursday Next books by Jasper Fforde.
    sigpic
    Thank you Astra Per Aspera for the sig....... My Fan Fiction

Comment

LefthandedGuitarist
      I enjoyed "Hyperion" By Dan Simmons
      You'll have to add "The Fall of Hyperion", the sequel also
      no means no, and so does pepper spray
      Sig by The Carpenter
      sigpic

Comment

Been reading "lovecraftian" stuff lately, so, Lovecraft, Derleth, Lumley, etc.
        sigpic
        ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
        A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
        The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by LeftHandedGuitarist View Post
          Books I have lined up to read:[/U]
          The Desert Spear by Peter V. Brett (sequel to The Painted Man)
          The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss
          Leviathan Wakes by James S. A. Corey
          Revelation Space by Alastair Reynolds
          The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch
          Hyperion by Dan Simmons
          Before they are Hanged by Joe Abercrombie (sequel to The Blade Itself)
          Ship of Magic by Robin Hobb

Star Wars novels (read many of them as a teenager, felt like catching up)

Any recommendations/comments on the ones I have waiting to read?
          A lot of great books on that list (bolded the ones I've read), of the fantasy ones I'd recommend starting with "The Name of the Wind" as it was fantastic. My only concern with it is that Rothfuss is taking his own sweet time finishing the series.

I strongly recommend reading more of Peter Hamiltons books, his commonwealth universe books (a two part series and then the Void trilogy) are simply incredible imo.

About "Ship of Magic", have you read the Farseer trilogy by Robin Hobb? If not I'd recommend reading it first as there is a small overlap between the books.

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
            Been reading "lovecraftian" stuff lately, so, Lovecraft, Derleth, Lumley, etc.
            Oh very nice. Tanith Lee and Angela Carter are also very good.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Iffy View Post
              Oh very nice. Tanith Lee and Angela Carter are also very good.
              It's funny reading them with "calls for Cthulhu" or songs from the HPLHS playing in the background
              sigpic
              ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
              A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
              The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by Girlbot View Post
                LefthandedGuitarist
                I enjoyed "Hyperion" By Dan Simmons
                You'll have to add "The Fall of Hyperion", the sequel also
                Thanks, I actually have the omnibus edition which includes both stories! I don't have any idea what the novels are about, I've just always heard the name thrown about in people's recommendations and saw the book in a charity shop for £1.50, so bought it.

Originally posted by Wyrminarrd View Post
                A lot of great books on that list (bolded the ones I've read), of the fantasy ones I'd recommend starting with "The Name of the Wind" as it was fantastic. My only concern with it is that Rothfuss is taking his own sweet time finishing the series.

I strongly recommend reading more of Peter Hamiltons books, his commonwealth universe books (a two part series and then the Void trilogy) are simply incredible imo.

About "Ship of Magic", have you read the Farseer trilogy by Robin Hobb? If not I'd recommend reading it first as there is a small overlap between the books.
                Yes, I've read Farseer - I liked it, found parts of it heavy going. My favourite was actually the 3rd book, which most people I've talked to about it seemed to like the least. I am eager to get back into Peter F. Hamilton, the size of those books is both enticing and offputting at the same time!

I've been recommened The Name of the Wind more times than I can remember, so am looking forward to it. Long periods between books don't bother me, I've become somewhat used to it after the time George R.R. Martin takes to put out books for A Song of Ice and Fire. I remember on the day A Feast for Crows was released I went to a book signing and met him, and I talked to him about when he thought A Dance with Dragons would be done - "I hope next year," he said.

Six years later...
                Private guitar tuition | Return To Grace - rock/pop party band

Comment

Finished reading "The Way of Kings" by Brandon Sanderson, fantastic book and it looks like this series might actually surpass the Mistborn trilogy

Next up is "The Horsemens' Gambit" by David B. Coe.

Comment

I finally finished Hellburner. I thought it would never end.

Am now reading The Pillars of Creation Terry Goodkind.
                    sigpic

Comment

Finished reading "The Horsemen's Gambit" by David B. Coe. Good book in a solid fantasy series though reading it right after a masterpiece like "The Way of Kings" it does suffer a bit in comparison.

Next up is "The Heroes" by Joe Abercrombie.

Comment

Basilisk Station - David Weber
                        sigpic

Comment

I've been reading Jack Campbell's "Lost Fleet" series and just finished Book 3, "Courageous." There's a tiresome little romance side-plot going on (which you can't just skip, since sometimes relevant stuff happens during the scenes), but otherwise it's pretty good.

Comment

I read that I liked it
                            no means no, and so does pepper spray
                            Sig by The Carpenter
                            sigpic

Comment

I'm gonna humbly reccomend:

Operation Thunder Child, a novel by by Nick Pope, Britain's UFO Expert, former MOD Officer.

Fantastic book, and one of the most realistic (from a military/governmental perspective) sci fi novels that I've read.

It's the ONLY Sci-Fi novel to have had to officially been vetted before release!

And if that's not good enough... well... it's the RAF vs Aliens. What more do you want?

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

A new read or reread? That is one awesome book. I really got hooked on David Weber with The Path of the Fury and quickly moved on to Basilisk Station. I've been hooked on him every since.
                                sigpic
                                Thank you Astra Per Aspera for the sig....... My Fan Fiction

Comment

Working...
                                X