Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sci-Fi/Fantasy Book Discussion/Appreciation Anyone..??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mimzy View Post
    Thankee
    You are welcome.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Wyrminarrd View Post
      Finished reading "Desert Spear" by Peter V. Brett. This is the second book of the demon cycle series. My only gripe about the book is that it didn't really advance the story a lot, which does make me fear that the author is going to drag the story out over many books.

Next up on my reading list is "Spin" by Robert Charles Wilson.
      That's the point. It's a 5 book series. Still, he does it better than alot of other authors. Patrick Rothfuss is on his second book of three and I've read he still hasn't gotten around to telling the story yet, lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Krichton View Post
        That's the point. It's a 5 book series. Still, he does it better than alot of other authors. Patrick Rothfuss is on his second book of three and I've read he still hasn't gotten around to telling the story yet, lol.
        Five is tolerable though I think the premise would have been better served with a trilogy, at least thats my feeling based on book two. Hopefully Brett will step things up in the next book and move things a long at a faster pace, I don't mind long series but they have to keep things moving along.

Comment

Still in my weird steampunk mood I looked stuff up and I really want to read this: The Affinity Bridge
          "YOU'RE EASIER THAN THE U.S. CONGRESS."~Nikola
          sigpic
          Sig by ME!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mimzy View Post
            Still in my weird steampunk mood I looked stuff up and I really want to read this: The Affinity Bridge
            We have that one, but I haven't read it yet.

Boneshaker
            I have that book too but haven't read it yet.

I've been on a historical fiction kick.
            sigpic

Comment

Hi all.
              I'm about to read 'Strike Force' by Dale Brown.
              He is one of my favourite authors. Akin to Tom Clancy or Andy McNab.
              But all his books lean towards Sci-Fi. Or should that be Spi-Fi...

As some of the equipment he uses, and aircraft are fantastic.
              "What do you mean by 'Oopps'?"
              Team Starfist protects all. But having a fully loaded P-90 helps...
              Reality is an illusion... Created by those who cannot handle Stargate...!
              Jankowski's Rules: Rule 1: Check your Six!
              I'm not perfect. But parts of me are excellent I also cook...!
              To thy own self... Be true
              May the odds.... Be ever in your favour..!

Comment

Originally posted by Iffy View Post
                We have that one, but I haven't read it yet.

Boneshaker
                I have that book too but haven't read it yet.

I've been on a historical fiction kick.
                That's a terrible book; I never even finished it. Just throw it away.

Comment

That's a terrible book; I never even finished it. Just throw it away.
                  Can't be worse than Twilight.
                  sigpic

Comment

I searched but could only find one mention of Kage Baker. I read a lot of Science and Speculative Fiction many years ago, but my tastes have changed. However, when I picked up a copy of "In the Garden of Iden", I was hooked. Her series on The Company are wonderful and well worth reading and rereading.

Any other fans out there?

In looking up this series, I have discovered that Kage Baker died last year.
                    Calculus and Alcohol don't mix. Never drink and derive.

Comment

Finished reading "Spin" by Robert Charles Wilson. This book won the Hugo award in it's year and I have to say that it deserved it. Very well written with a very interesting concept.

Next up is the latest "Legion of the Damned" series book by William C. Dietz.

Comment

Originally posted by Iffy View Post
                        Wind up Girl is really good, not super steampunky but in that vein.
                        Great book, finished it last week. The concept of genetic engeneering is very interesting and very current. Many aspects discussed are already possible today and unfortunately there's no real control in place what scientist are allowed to do and what not. Great read!

I'm now reading an anthology edited by Lou Anders called Masked. It includes stories by many writers.
                        sigpic
                        My short movie "Red Bag" / The Scifi Guys Podcast / My Twitter account

Comment

Legion of the Damned is easily the worst military scifi book I've ever read. If you think you're going to read about kickass cyborgs based on what it says on the back of the book then you're sadly mistaken. The book really has little to do with them despite what the the blurb says.
                          Last edited by Krichton; 10 April 2011, 09:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Andron View Post
                            Great book, finished it last week. The concept of genetic engeneering is very interesting and very current. Many aspects discussed are already possible today and unfortunately there's no real control in place what scientist are allowed to do and what not. Great read!

I'm now reading an anthology edited by Lou Anders called Masked. It includes stories by many writers.
                            I was so impressed I bought his other book. Haven't read it yet.
                            sigpic

Comment

Legion of the Damned is easily the worst military scifi book I've ever read. If you think you're going to read about kickass cyborgs based on what it says on the back of the book then you're sadly mistaken. The book really has little to do with them despite what the the blurb says.
                              I said latest LOFTD book, as in I've already read most of the others . This isn't a masterpiece of writing but I usually enjoy reading Dietz's work though He's had a few duds.

Comment

I commend your ability to resist torture.

Comment

Working...
                                X