Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sci-Fi/Fantasy Book Discussion/Appreciation Anyone..??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Iffy View Post
    Queen of Darkness again
    I have a pair of trousers by the brand of "Queen of Darknees" *giggle*.

Shadow Prowler, Shadow Chaser.... aaaand I didn't want to wait 6-12 months or more for the English translation of the final book to be released so I instead ordered the German translation. I could have gotten the original Russian, but I would have understood hardly any of it... Although he likes saying the Russian phrase "Simple even to a hedgehog" (yasna i yezhu in the transliteration), so I could understand that .

Comment

I'm a little way into the second book of the Ware Tetrology. It's pretty nutso and rather creative.
      "Most people who are watching TV are semi-catatonic. They're not fully alive." - U.S. District Court Judge Timothy Batten Sr.
      Ronald Greer is also a medic. Your argument is invalid.
      Originally posted by J-Whitt Remastered
      Secondly, I think that everything DigiFluid is good.
      Sandcastle Builder: The game of XKCD: Time

Comment

I have asked this before, but I'm stubbo- obstinate () and try again. Does anybody know of any good werewolf books? Without adult content (really ruins a book if one is reading the back of the book and it seems awesome and then it mentions something that changes one's to D: because one really learns wayyyyy too much about the author)?

Also, would anyone know any awesome fantasy books? In the traditional/high fantasy fashion (like Shadow Prowler if anyone's read it)? And not Lord of the Rings... Tolkien's other works are much better.
        I could re-read Narnia or other works of C.S. Lewis.
        Preferably involving a thief.
        I've seen Shadow's Hand (from memory it's the name of the book) and the series to which it belongs. It looks good and is quite popular. Would anyone recommend it?
        I would love to read more of Alexey Pehov's works (the author of the Shadow Prowler series [a.k.a. the Chronicles of Siala] and oh so many other books), but only the Siala ones have been or are currently being translated.

Perhaps I could try Lord of the Rings again, but I couldn't read it if I'm feeling the slightest bit sleepy and in fact I think it would make me slee-zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.................... ok, not a good point in time to break out the Zeds ...

What's the Ware tretrology?

Comment

Originally posted by jmoz View Post
          I'd recommend The Darkness That Came Before, there are some deep philosophical things thrown in there and especially obvious with Kellhus's culture and his way of thinking. He also highlights the frailty of many things. It's kinda deep but in a light manner with a fantasy setting.

I really like the Esmer-something character. Rarely are there strong wenches characters in fantasy that aren't the typical damsel in distress, or ridiculously strong, or too butch, or just unbelievable, or too *****y (all of Jordan's wenches characters). She just has this eagerness to learn of the world which is pretty uncommon to me. But then again, I haven't read much fantasy. I'm glad that most of the politics are sort of in the background.

I'd love to see the world through Kellhus's eAye. Some might mistake him for evil...well you guys read if you want and decide for yourselves.
          I disslike khellus, i find him anoying. I be likin' cnaiur(Spelling?)
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Supreme Commander Sil View Post
            Spoiler:
            I have asked this before, but I'm stubbo- obstinate () and try again. Does anybody know of any good werewolf books? Without adult content (really ruins a book if one is reading the back of the book and it seems awesome and then it mentions something that changes one's to D: because one really learns wayyyyy too much about the author)?

Also, would anyone know any awesome fantasy books? In the traditional/high fantasy fashion (like Shadow Prowler if anyone's read it)? And not Lord of the Rings... Tolkien's other works are much better.
            I've seen Shadow's Hand (from memory it's the name of the book) and the series to which it belongs. It looks good and is quite popular. Would anyone recommend it?
            I would love to read more of Alexey Pehov's works (the author of the Shadow Prowler series [a.k.a. the Chronicles of Siala] and oh so many other books), but only the Siala ones have been or are currently being translated.

Perhaps I could try Lord of the Rings again, but I couldn't read it if I'm feeling the slightest bit sleepy and in fact I think it would make me slee-zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.................... ok, not a good point in time to break out the Zeds ...

Dont know any warewolf ones, but fantasy
            The Godless world trilogy by Brian Ruckley. Thar be no sex (if thats what you mean by adult) in it from what i be rememberrrrrin'.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ukko View Post
              I disslike khellus, i find him anoying. I be likin' cnaiur(Spelling?)
              Why don't you like him? But I think I can guess. Cnaiur's ok, he's still a puppet to Kellhus's machinations even though he knows it. I think we both might dislike Serwae or something?

Comment

Originally posted by jmoz View Post
                Why don't you like him? But I think I can guess. Cnaiur's ok, he's still a puppet to Kellhus's machinations even though he knows it. I think we both might dislike Serwae or something?
                He just feels to me like a know it all (Yeah, i know he actually does know alot). I tend not to like that in my characters. He's also a manipulator, another thing i dont like.
                You're right, i did disslike Serwe. Man, i had to check the back of the book to remember who she was. I read it sometime last year. It definatly needs a re-read, theres lots of detail.

Have you read the next two books yet? My book shop never has the second one.
                sigpic

Comment

The second one is grand and escalates massively. I'm only halfway through, but I've heard from everyone this one was just fantastic and made the first one worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by Supreme Commander Sil View Post
                    New Moon by Stephanie Meyer

1. Wizard's First Rule by Terry Goodkind
                    2. Way of Shadows - Brent Weeks
                    3. Eye of the World - Robert Jordan
                    4. Mistborn Final Empire - Brandon Sanderson
                    5. Warded Man - Peter V. Brett

Comment

So I'm in a weird steampunk mood right now and I'm wondering if anyone has any good recommendations...
                      "YOU'RE EASIER THAN THE U.S. CONGRESS."~Nikola
                      sigpic
                      Sig by ME!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mimzy View Post
                        So I'm in a weird steampunk mood right now and I'm wondering if anyone has any good recommendations...
                        Wind up Girl is really good, not super steampunky but in that vein.
                        sigpic

Comment

^I came across that in a google search but I forgot what it was about.
                          sigpic
                          Sig by ME!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mimzy View Post
                            ^I came across that in a google search but I forgot what it was about.
                            Link for book
                            sigpic

Comment

Thankee
                              sigpic
                              Sig by ME!!!

Comment

Finished reading "Desert Spear" by Peter V. Brett. This is the second book of the demon cycle series. My only gripe about the book is that it didn't really advance the story a lot, which does make me fear that the author is going to drag the story out over many books.

Next up on my reading list is "Spin" by Robert Charles Wilson.

Comment

Working...
                                X