Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sci-Fi/Fantasy Book Discussion/Appreciation Anyone..??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Since I'm on a timeline with library due dates and I don't have a lot of time since school just started...I'm going to jump ahead and abandon the other books I was planning to read first (b/c I can renew those) and re-read the first two Unicorn Chronicles books so when I go to the library in 2 weeks, I can go right into reading the 3rd one.

I seriously need to buy all 4 of them at some point Them and the Monster Blood Tattoo trilogy set when the 3rd book comes out in November.

AGH I need money.
    "YOU'RE EASIER THAN THE U.S. CONGRESS."~Nikola
    sigpic
    Sig by ME!!!

Comment

Im Reading a book called The Host by Stephanie Meyers I love it!

Team Ronan

Comment

Hi Teyla-Joy

I am re-reading some of Heinlein's short stories. I love "The Meanace from Earth"
        sigpic

Comment

HI lffy! Im Also reading the Bourne Identity After the Host Cus I got from the Library and I wanted to read it first lol I heard That The Host was gonna be played out for the Movie.

Team Ronan

Comment

I've heard that too. I am not a big fan of her books.
            sigpic

Comment

Yeah I dont either The Host is the only one I like cus its about Aliens getting into minds of people and yeah I dont like Twilight eaither

Team Ronan

Comment

Originally posted by Teyla-Joy View Post
                Yeah I dont either The Host is the only one I like cus its about Aliens getting into minds of people and yeah I dont like Twilight eaither
                You should fit in just fine here.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Iffy View Post
                  You should fit in just fine here.
                  Thanks! :LOL:

Team Ronan

Comment

Thanks! :LOL:
                    We have had several Twilight rants, in here.
                    sigpic

Comment

Yeah I just cant stand Vampires well anyways you ever read any of Ted dekker or Frank Perreti books they are awsome

Team Ronan

Comment

Yeah I just cant stand Vampires well anyways you ever read any of Ted dekker or Frank Perreti books they are awsome
                        The sparkly ones are the vamps I have a problem with. I haven't read either of them.
                        sigpic

Comment

I love vampires lol , just not ones that glitter and sparkle in the sunlight.
                          sigpic

Comment

So I just finished Dark Whispers, the 3rd book in Bruce Coville's Unicorn Chronicles, and HOLY CRAP WAS IT AMAZING.

I was not expecting the plot twists he threw in there. And it was pretty complex (and violent ) for a book aimed at kids. The moral complexity of the decisions some of the characters had to make (there's one big one in particular at the end) rivaled the circumstances surrounding Snape's role in Dumbledore's death in HBP.

It was also a lot darker than the previous two books, and surprisingly way more detailed in terms of plot. This one was 3? times as long as the first book and maybe almost twice as long as the 2nd. I love how much Coville layered the elements from each book on to each other, though. He did it extremely well and managed to tie together a lot of different things, so I'm really, really psyched to read the last book and find out how he ended the whole thing after the series' 10-year hiatus
                            sigpic
                            Sig by ME!!!

Comment

Hmmm, adds to list.

Comment

Originally posted by jmoz View Post
                                Hmmm, adds to list.
                                Just remember that the series is aimed at 9 - 12-year olds, so the books are written in a way that's most accessible to that age group. And the first book is really short; there's not much plot action in it. But the ending is awesome b/c it has this crazy plot twist that has extreme importance for the rest of the series. And the pace picks up in the second (which had several crazy plot twists), and just picks up even more in the 3rd (which had crazy plot twists all over the place). For a kids' series, it has some pretty intense emotional/psychological depth to it, so much so that there are parts that I think might be easier for adults to handle/relate to than for kids to. Which works out well, because a lot of the readers who started the series back in the '90s when Bruce Coville started it are now adults, so I think he was, in part, reaching out to that audience as a thank-you for their patience.

This is the order of the books:

Into the Land of the Unicorns
                                Song of the Wanderer
                                Dark Whispers
                                The Last Hunt
                                sigpic
                                Sig by ME!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X