Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I heard that this film is going to be a twist on the old film, "Splash" - with M. Night's own style of filmmaking.

I loved Bryce in "The Village" (was hoping she would get an Oscar nom. ) and look forward to her in this film.

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

Yeah, Do you suppose Touchstone didn't want to do it cause it would clash with Disney's The Little Mermaid.

I'm looking forward to Shyamalan's next project.

Comment

Don't kill me if I got his name wrong...

But I really like all his movies and I was wondering if anyone else likes them as much as I do. If you like them (or don't) and want to discuss any, here's the place!

The first thing I'd like to ask is... am I the only one who liked Lady in the Water?? I loved it, but no matter who I talk to (except a few of my friends) they say they thought it was dumb... I try to explain that it may be because they were expecting something different - maybe because his other movies were so different. Another possible reason would be if they prefer sci fi over fantasy and didn't like the whole "bedtime-story" thing. Any thoughts?
        Fandoms come and go, but geekiness lasts forever.

YouTube - DeviantART - Twitter - tumblr

sigpic

Comment

he doesn't do much for me.

I watched 6th Sense, Unbreakable, Signs and The Village and really...and this is just me...he's a 1 trick pony with 'the twist' at the end, but the twist is never that twisty and is generally fairly predictable so there's not much drama to them.

Well no...there is drama...I enjoyed 6th Sense and The Village and Unbreakable was a pretty good comic movie, but again, the twists are not that twisty so you're left with the build up to not that big a payoff.

I've become sufficiently disenchanted with his work that I had no desire to see his last one...Lady in the Water.

If he comes out with something new and it looks like he's changed his formula, then I might go see it, but as it stands, I'm done.
          Thanks!
          Jordan

my page
          My LJ
          From now on, our name will be 'Tenac'.

Comment

I like his movies, too. I wouldn't say they were spectacular or the best things EVAR, but I always enjoy them. I liked Lady in the Water, too, although I was a bit surprised by the apparent lack of a pivotal twist, which is one of his trademarks.

Comment

Originally posted by yaaayoubetcha View Post
              I've become sufficiently disenchanted with his work that I had no desire to see his last one...Lady in the Water.

If he comes out with something new and it looks like he's changed his formula, then I might go see it, but as it stands, I'm done.
              Well, as ShadowMaat said, Lady in the Water actually is pretty different from the others. I mean, it has the same feel, but at the same time I think it has a lot more humor. I'll admit, a wasn't very surprised by the twist at the end of The Village, but the shock of Noah stabbing Lucious was a big enough twist for me... I don't know about you, though. Also, I agree that all his movies have a fair amount of drama. So, you can still enjoy them even if you've already got the end figured out.

Originally posted by ShadowMaat View Post
              I like his movies, too. I wouldn't say they were spectacular or the best things EVAR, but I always enjoy them. I liked Lady in the Water, too, although I was a bit surprised by the apparent lack of a pivotal twist, which is one of his trademarks.
              I'd agree, they're not the best thing EVAR...

I mean... what was different about that one is it really wasn't like his others movies, mostly because his other movies were written as... well, movies. So was this one, of course, but it was mostly based on an actual bedtime story that he had made for his daughters. If you get the DVD version, he talks all about it in the special features. I think it's really cute, actually.

Still, I wouldn't say they're the best movies ever. Just some of my personal favs.

sigpic

Comment

I think he was overhyped much to his misfortune because he still produces good work but only if you stop comparing everything to the Sixth Sense. I think he and marketing peeps should really stop marketing his films as if they are going to be as great as The Sixth Sense, revolutionary or mind bending when all they really are are nice watchable films.

I haven't hated or even truly disliked anything he's done but I have been disappointed in the incomplete nature of some of his endings...namely, Lady in the Water which I really liked but would have liked much better if it were five mins longer and more wrapped up. Other than that, I was very amused.

I really liked Unbreakable too. I Wasn't too thrilled with The Village but everything about Signs was good... right up until the ending which was a little silly but still didn't wreck the movie.

I've heard some people really hate on his films calling them cow dung etc. and I can't help but think they have ridiculously high expectations. He's just a director. I don't think he's a world class genius but his films are certainly better than ...The Mask 2, Cheaper by the dozen and a whole slew of really dumb crap.

"You know what would make a good story? Something about a clown who makes people happy, but inside he's real sad. Also, he has severe diarrhea." - Jack Handy

Comment

I LIKED the twist in Signs. Although why aliens who are killed by water would invade a planet of mostly water (and people who are mostly water) is beyond me.

I was kinda meh on Unbreakable and the Village was... annoying? I still liked it, but it kinda bugged me, too.

I can't say I've been comparing everything to Sixth Sense, but I do hope that Lady in the Water means that he's going to get away from the "shocking twist" endings because I think it makes his films- as interesting as they tend to be- too formulaic/predictible. You may not know WHAT is going to happen, but you know SOMETHING will. I wasted most of LitW trying to figure out what the twist would be instead of enjoying the movie for what it was.

Comment

Just caught the news about Shyamalan doing a live-action adaptation of Nickelodeon's Avatar: the Last Airbender and I gotta say... I'm not very pleased by the news. I like Shyamalan and I like Avatar, but together...? Not so sure.

I'd almost forgotten MNS was involved with the first Stuart Little movie. Not exactly a ringing endorsement for his kiddie flicks, if you ask me.

Guess we'll have to wait and see, but maybe I'll just tune out this news for a while.

Comment

I actually his movies!! Signs was really good!
                      I HATE SY-FY

Comment

Admittantly I've only seen "Unbreakable", but I LOVED it. The theme that any one of us might be more than meets the eye, and that we might become much much more, really appeals to me.

And the music was great.

Comment

I LIKED the twist in Signs. Although why aliens who are killed by water would invade a planet of mostly water (and people who are mostly water) is beyond me.
                          Me too, Signs was the first one I saw (I think the main reason I saw it was for Mel Gibson), then The Sixth Sense was on TV and I liked that one, too. I didn't realize until later that the same guy had done both movies and, when I did, I decided to go ahead and check out The Village (LitW wasn't out yet).

My biggest problem with his movies really don't have much to do with his movies at all... What I can't stand are the commercials! They make his movies seem like pointless horror movies (I hate horror movies... not because they scare me, most of the time their plots leave much to be desired ), so when I saw a commercial for LitW, I wasn't at all interested... until I found out that he had done it.

Just caught the news about Shyamalan doing a live-action adaptation of Nickelodeon's Avatar: the Last Airbender and I gotta say... I'm not very pleased by the news. I like Shyamalan and I like Avatar, but together...? Not so sure.
                          I've never seen Avatar. I've heard of it, but I've never really had any reason to watch it. I'll admit, though, I kinda just assumed it was like most Nickelodeon shows (total cra-... not so good stuff). OK, I'll also admit to the occasional Spongebob... *hangs head in shame* Anyway, from what I read in the link you gave, it does sound pretty interesting.

Originally posted by The Ori View Post
                          I actually his movies!! Signs was really good!
                          I think The Sixth Sense was my favorite, but Signs was really good, too.

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
                          Admittantly I've only seen "Unbreakable", but I LOVED it. The theme that any one of us might be more than meets the eye, and that we might become much much more, really appeals to me.

And the music was great.
                          Actually... Unbreakable is the only one I haven't seen... *makes note: put Unbreakable on Netflix list*

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Myn MacGeek, Third Sentinel View Post
                            I've never seen Avatar. I've heard of it, but I've never really had any reason to watch it. I'll admit, though, I kinda just assumed it was like most Nickelodeon shows (total cra-... not so good stuff). OK, I'll also admit to the occasional Spongebob... *hangs head in shame* Anyway, from what I read in the link you gave, it does sound pretty interesting.
                            Oh yes, it's great; it's not at all like any of the other Nick shows. This one actually has a plot and realistic characters!

Comment

I've seen Sixth Sense, The Village and Unbreakable. I thought that Unbreakable was the best lol I heard that they were planning a sequel though so has anyone heard any news on that? I think I read it on wikipedia....
                              I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic
                              Click on sig to check out my fanfic gallery too!

Comment

James Cameron (Titanic) is also doing an "Avatar" based on an Anime series. The two projects are too much alike for me and actually neither sounds interesting. Maybe they both should go on to something else.

As for "Lady in the Water", that was very different and my whole family enjoyed it. I really identified with the kooky apartment dwellers - I lived in a place like that once. *LOL*

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

Working...
                                X