No announcement yet.

Quantum Leap Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I saw the last few minutes of "Cold Case" last night and it got me thinking that that show is sort of like a non-sci-fi Law & Order version of Quantum Leap. Instead of actually going back in time, she digs up old cases and then we see flashbacks (including lots of funny period clothing from the 50s, 60s, and 70s). Instead of setting things right the way Sam did, she (is her name Lily? I think it is) brings to justice the things that went wrong. At least, I assume that's the premise....I've never actually seen more than a few minutes of the show.

I agree with HyperCaz's statement about the morals of the show. I think Sam is one of the most moral and noble characters in all of TV, without being a completely one-dimensional character at the same time. He wasn't a robot. He was on occasion tempted to do things he knew he wasn't there to do (like when he wanted to save his Dad from a heart attack.....I know there were more, but, like I said, I haven't seen QL in years so a lot of the episodes are kind of blurring around in my mind), he got frustrated and scared, and he really cared about people even though he barely knew them.

I don't know why people think that shows have to be super violent and gory and full of sexual situations and the like to be considered good (i.e. non-cheesy) drama. QL hit on tons of social issues in a very compelling way while almost never resorting to those sorts of tactics. A few of the things I can remember off the top of my head as being addressed were: racism (in the episode that was a lot like "Driving Miss Daisy"), scientific testing on animals (when Sam was a chimp in the space program), and issues for the mentally handicapped (when he was Jimmy as well as when he was stuck in the mental institution). I personally think it's a lot easier to throw a bunch of cursing and violence and film everything extra-dark than it is to come up with a compelling story that really leaves you with a good moral while using none of those gimmicks.

Oh, yeah, and about the song copyrights, I totally agree! I've been waiting for years for WKRP in Cincinnatti to come out, but because they were at a radio station and there were always contemporary songs playing it may never happen. (At least that's what I've been told.)

Comment

If the music copyright upsets you guys (I don't like it either), then I suggest you get the Region 2 DVD sets off of Ebay or something. Those still have all of the original music intact as far as I know.
      sigpic
      "Space is disease and danger wrapped in darkness and silence."
      DS9 Superior|Farscape|Legend of the Seeker|Stargate Universe|STAR WARS

Comment

Originally posted by Billz View Post
        Apparently there were rumours of a movie. Can anyone confirm this?
        The rumours are supposed to be more than rumours, with a script having already been written and both Scott Bakula and Dean Stockwell being involved. However, the movie is supposed to act as a TV show pilot (or something that can be adapted into a TV show) because Scott Bakula would have a minor role and the main character would be his daughter (who was concieved when he leaped home for a short time).

sigpic

Comment

Aren't they amking a one-off special???
          I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic
          Click on sig to check out my fanfic gallery too!

Comment

couple of shout outs.

the Quantum Leap LJ community - has lots of good icons and discussion.

Al's Place - the comic books, alternate endings, outtakes, anything you can practically think of...great website.

On A Bold Leap Forward, it is amusing to note that 152 imdb.com users have given it a rating even though it doesn't technically exist.

taken from imdb.com:

In a recent interview with bbc.co.uk, Scott Bakula (Sept 06) said that he had not heard anything about a Quantum Leap (or Enterprise) revival or film.

Comment

I' cant find the last thread so I started a new one.

So as anyone got all five seasons yet, I cant afford it at the moment its about 20 pounds a box set here.

Some of my best episodes were from season 5,

Lee Harvey Oswald
              Evil Leaper
              Killin time
              Leap between the states
              Mirior Image (really sad)
              STARGATE ATLANTIS'S
              legacy continues with New Movies

Visit my new Stargate Atlantis Blog @

http://stephenswords.blogspot.com

Comment

I love this show and I have seasons 1-4 and getting season 5 and gonna complete my set. I have many favorite eposides.

Created & Credited to The SG-1 Guru

Comment

Originally posted by GeneralO'Neil View Post
                  I love this show and I have seasons 1-4 and getting season 5 and gonna complete my set. I have many favorite eposides.
                  I just can't believe the UK release date is boxing day! That's just so stupid!
                  Janna Galaxy, Queen of The Gods
                  The Strongest Will Survive!
                  I'll Be The One To Save Us All!

Comment

Originally posted by jannagalaxy View Post
                    I just can't believe the UK release date is boxing day! That's just so stupid!
                    I know could have watched this christmas being as theres nothing on.
                    STARGATE ATLANTIS'S

Comment

Just got Season 5 on DVD some really good episodes classic scfi, Anyone who hates this series should watch all five years.
                      STARGATE ATLANTIS'S

Comment

Originally posted by bcfc View Post
                        Just got Season 5 on DVD some really good episodes classic scfi, Anyone who hates this series should watch all five years.
                        I got season 1 for my Christmas present from my brother. The pilot is a little clunky, but I'm very happy with the next few episodes. I'd forgotten how funny this show is.

Comment

I loved this show at first when I watched Enterprise I kept going "Sam!" but this was an original show I would watch it when ever it was on or if it was in syndication loved this show loved it.
                          sigpic
                          My Favorite Scifi/Fantasy T.V. Shows, Movies, Franchises, My Sports Teams & My Fav Sitcom
                          poundpuppy29 AKA Erika = Astrology Nut, Scifi-Fantasy Junkie & Massachusetts Girl

Comment

Must us Australians wait until next month? *grouses* I haven't seen season 5 but like the past couple of seasons, I'll buy it without seeing it. Have yet to be disappointed in that respect.

Comment

Originally posted by HyperCaz View Post
                              Must us Australians wait until next month? *grouses* I haven't seen season 5 but like the past couple of seasons, I'll buy it without seeing it. Have yet to be disappointed in that respect.

You wont be Season 5 is the best out of all five seasons, especially as its the last one to buy and has some goodys on their, and the very sad final episode.
                              STARGATE ATLANTIS'S

Comment

I've read about the final episode and that is NO WAY to end a show. I wish they'd hurry up and reach a decision about A Bold Leap Forward.

Comment

Working...
                                X