This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by McClance View Post
    I'm reading the book now. It's pretty good, even though there are few things that were obviously inspired by Lord of the Rings, Dragonriders of Pern, and other stories. Eragon kind of reminded me of Pern's Piemur in the last chapter I read--"Awakening".

I will definately be seeing the movie when it comes out. It's been a while since there has been a good dragon movie. And, I'm hoping that if this does well, production of Dragonriders of Pern movies will gain thrust.

I'm curious, though. Any idea hoe often the movies are going to be released? I'm assuming they're going to do all three books as it makes very little since to do the first and not he others. That would be as if Jackson just did Fellowship and not Towers or King.

well never of the books, but I think all trilogies should be done like, filmed and edited and production over three to four years by the same director and crew, it brings a series of films togeather, much better, althrough, having the release time one year apart allows plenty of time for post filming effects and cgi to be finished. Also if just makes it far easier to keep the character all looking the same age through out the filmed.

I think perhaps all these fantancy, their **** loads of them coming out in the next few years, might lead to fatigue in the general public. But as long as they are successful I guest they will keep on coming, I just hope they do not start making them to short. Nice long films which repsect the books should books that what I want, although most these books OI have not read, I read lor, books after the film which in some ways showed just how peter jackson made the film come alive on screen.

Comment

Though I sometimes feel as if it's copying the plot of the original Star Wars movies, I like the books.

I'm going to see the movie though it's likely not to be as good.

To see a picture of me in the Miss Teen America pageant, click here.

Comment

I'm undecided on this one actually. And I think it's more likely to delay DROP rather than push any Pern movie forward. The great unwashed masses will think Pern copied Eragon rather than the other way around. Having movies with such similar concepts coming out close together sounds a bit iffy to me. That said, the Copperhead Entertainment Pern movie hasn't been cast yet, as far as I know, they only bought the rights but haven't done anything concrete about it yet, except maybe a few pieces of concept art posted online.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mayogaelz View Post
          ya read both the books. had them since they first came out. hoping to see the movie during the holidays but i am a bit concerned about how saphira looks in the trailers. she looks disneyified.... yes... that is a word... now.
          she should look grittier i think
          That's funny because I thought she looked too gray and gritty. Saphira is supposed to be this beautiful shining blue color and I just didn't see that in the previews.
          I love Jeremy Irons and think he is perfectly cast. As for Peter Malcovich? All I can say is what the hell were they thinking?! Peter Malcovich has the emotional range of a rock. I personally can't stand him and haven't seen him in any role that I admired.
          Eragon looks like a girl and the elf girl (whose name escapes me at the moment) looks too old. Granted she's an elf and she's supposed to be old but seeing as how her and Eragon might have a relationship, it might gross some people out. I'm just saying.
          These opinions might change after seeing the film but I won't be rushing to the theaters the day it comes out. I'll probably wait until it's in the dollar theater.
          Andromeda Fate
          Something you need to ask yourself everyday, with every decision - WWMD "What Would McKay Do?"
          "In my culture, I would be well within my rights to dismember you" - Teal'c
          "Go suck a lemon!" - Carter
          "Like everyone else, I lived in a house bricked up with seconds and minutes, weekends and New Year's Days, and I never went outside until I died, because there was no other door. Now I know that I could have walked through the walls." - Peter S. Beagle
          "I hope your apple pie is frickin' worth it!" - Supernatural

Comment

More than likley that i'll see it, though never read the books, same with LOTR seen the movies, got the extened DVDs but havent read the rings books either. Must admit im abit of a fan of fantasy movies with dragons in, or something related.

Comment

it looms good im hoping to see it
              sigpic
              Many thanks to geekywraith for the wonderful sig

Comment

After seeing some more in-depth previews over the past few days, there is now no doubt that I'm going to see this film. It should be very good.
                sigpic
                MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                "...phu...ah..."
                "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

lol it's looks good but I doubt I'd see it unless someone reccomended it. Dragonheart is the best dragon movie I've ever seen anyways...
                  I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic
                  Click on sig to check out my fanfic gallery too!

Comment

As someone who'd never heard of it before starting to see the ads on TV--I have to say, it looks lame. Really lame. Like, Dungeons & Dragons calibre lame.
                    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

I'm fearing that huge chunks have been changed, or cut entirely, in the transfer between book to movie.
                      sigpic
                      "Dragons can't change who they are, but who would want them to? Dragons are powerful, amazing creatures."--Hiccup; Dragons: Riders of Berk

My Books:
                      Draconia: Forging Trust, Draconia: Fractured Dream, Draconia: Rehatching

Comment

I think those of us who are die hard fans of any book thats adapted to film will be dissapointed every time. Theres just no way of putting often hours of material of text into a 2 - 3 hour film or films. having read the Harry Potter books cept the first 2, but having seen all the films, i know that they miss alot out, so when ever i go to see a book-to-film adaptation i always prepare myself to well expect less. So if i end up dissapointed its prehaps because of lousey acting, effects and so on, but not because certain scenes were left out. If the film can stand up as a decent movie and work as such i'll enjoy it, regardless of what its source material is. Overall i'd say that you can get more out of a book than a film, with films what you see/hear is what you get. With books when an author describes this or that alot is still left to the imagination, as such it means your still going to get more out of a book that if you pace your self properly you will get good weeks reading from, but with films 2-3 hours and thats it, all over. That said films can be thought provoking, just in recent years i think many have lost that. Movies are to much bussiness not enough art.

Comment

wow I cant honestly belive they are making a movie out of that book...

It was like reading a poorly written version of starwars except its in a fantasy setting and lacks any of star wars's charm... and star wars isnt that original to begin with -_-

Comment

Originally posted by Seastallion View Post
                            Has anyone else read the book, or planning to see the movie?
                            Read Eragon, still working through Eldest... For me, riding and communicating with a dragon, what's not to love? I was a Pern fan for years, still wish they were movies..... And from another post, yes I agree CG looks pretty solid.
                            Words have tremendous power. The right words spoken by the right people at the right times can lift up communities, transform lives, mend relationships, break hearts—even topple empires.
                            Quint Studer

Comment

Originally posted by M2W View Post
                              I've been meaning to read the books since they came out, but have never gotten around to it. Now I can't decide if I want to read them before or after I see the film. What do you guys suggest?
                              See movie first so you don't have book- to -movie angst! Imagination still overpowers CG!
                              Words have tremendous power. The right words spoken by the right people at the right times can lift up communities, transform lives, mend relationships, break hearts—even topple empires.
                              Quint Studer

Comment

Originally posted by tagger View Post
                                Read Eragon, still working through Eldest... For me, riding and communicating with a dragon, what's not to love? I was a Pern fan for years, still wish they were movies..... And from another post, yes I agree CG looks pretty solid.
                                Those parts with the dragon are my highlights, too. in fact, that's the prime reason why I'm going to see the movie--the dragon.
                                sigpic
                                "Dragons can't change who they are, but who would want them to? Dragons are powerful, amazing creatures."--Hiccup; Dragons: Riders of Berk

My Books:
                                Draconia: Forging Trust, Draconia: Fractured Dream, Draconia: Rehatching

Comment

Working...
                                X