Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jarnin View Post
    Interesting...
    Science Fiction is an existential metaphor; it allows us to tell stories about the human condition.

Isaac Asimov once said individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.

[/QUOTE]

SENFORUMS.com

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel Jackson View Post
      Check out this Batman short that's eight minutes long: Batman: Dead End

Watch out for the twist three minutes into the movie as it relates to this discussion.
      Since it seems no one has watched this year, it's a high budget short film about Batman fighting the Predator. The Alien makes a cameo!

Comment

Nope. I don't watch movies that deal with demonic posession. I don't watch Family Guy either, the humor is too obscene.
        Well, maybe in the future you should brush up on your pop culture references before getting in a huff over one that's 33 years old.
        "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

I don't care about pop culture references.

Comment

Originally posted by Frinky View Post
            I've heard a few rumours/whispers of AVP2, is there any ground to this?
            Unfortunately, yes! I was an obessed fan, ran my own popular website, clan on AvP2 and brought anything I could find with AvP on...until AvP the movie. It was terrible, 10 years of waiting for that?! But, I kept going. Until news of AvP2 came out. There was that terrible script review for AvP2 and when the news of the actual story came out for AvP2...it sounded the same as the one reviewed! So, then I gave up.

I'll always love Alien/Aliens/Alien3 but if Fox don't pull their fingers out their ass and do a decent film, I'm gonna cry.

Aliens is an awesome film. It pretty much laid down the groundwork for all Scifi/Action films that came after it. Alien3, I loved it. People don't like it because it's a step in the opposite direction. I loved that gothic, desperate feel to the film and the soundtrack! Vocal stuff is amazing!
            sigpic
            Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

Originally posted by Elite Anubis Guard View Post
              Unfortunately, yes! I was an obessed fan, ran my own popular website, clan on AvP2 and brought anything I could find with AvP on...until AvP the movie. It was terrible, 10 years of waiting for that?!
              You waited ten years? I didn't know they were making AvP until I saw the preview at QuickTime.com.

But, I kept going. Until news of AvP2 came out. There was that terrible script review for AvP2 and when the news of the actual story came out for AvP2...it sounded the same as the one reviewed! So, then I gave up.
              Why are you reading about the movie before you see it? Don't you want to be surprised?

Aliens is an awesome film. It pretty much laid down the groundwork for all Scifi/Action films that came after it.
              Na, Star Wars did that.

Alien3, I loved it. People don't like it because it's a step in the opposite direction. I loved that gothic, desperate feel to the film and the soundtrack! Vocal stuff is amazing!
              That's not why I dislike it. I was fine with going back to one Alien in a desperate situation, and I was fine with the gothic setting. My main issue with the movie is that they killed off Hicks, Newt, and Bishop less than ten minutes into the movie. You literally could have just ignored Aliens and have the Nostromo's shuttle from the first movie crash land on the prison planet. That is why I didn't like the movie. Well, there's also the issue that everyone in the movie is a nasty criminal except for Ripley, the intendent, and the doctor. I really don't want to watch a movie about criminals.

Comment

I've only ever seen Alien and Aliens. Aliens is my favourite. James Cameron is truly a brilliant filmmaker. It amazes me that he was able to make such a great film when I hear about all the problems he had with the British crew.

I was really excited about AVP but it turned out to be a disappointment. Its alright if you want mindless action I suposse but I don't take it too seriously.

Batman: Dead End was great! It's exceptionally well done for a fanfilm. Thanks for sharing Daniel Jackson.
                "I'm the greatest because I'm alive. That's it. Period.
                I'm not greedy. If I can catch a Goa'uld equipped with all kinds of fancy toys without risking my neck that's a damn good compromise."

Spoiler:

Comment

The AvP comics and books were great. The movie was not. Dark Horse sets the bar high for their material, and it showed. Fox, on the other hand, was out for a buck.

Alien was a great movie. Exceptional even. It played out more like a horror/suspense movie than a sci-fi flick. Aliens took it a step further by making us ask "If that's what one could do, what about an entire hive?"

Alien 3 was crap. Pure, steaming, crap. I've left more material in the toilet after a bran muffin than I saw in that movie. Alien 3 should have been more along the lines of the Dark Horse book/comic series starting with Outbreak. My only suggest change would be to convince Fox to let them use Newt and Hicks instead of the Billie and Wilks characters.
                  War... war never changes

Comment

Check out this Batman short that's eight minutes long: Batman: Dead End

Watch out for the twist three minutes into the movie as it relates to this discussion.
                    Very good for a fan made film. I think the Predators would own Batman though...
                    Science Fiction is an existential metaphor; it allows us to tell stories about the human condition.

Isaac Asimov once said individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.

[/QUOTE]

SENFORUMS.com

Comment

Originally posted by Ojos View Post
                      Alien 3 was crap. Pure, steaming, crap. I've left more material in the toilet after a bran muffin than I saw in that movie.

Eeewwwww Thanks for that.

Comment

That's not why I dislike it. I was fine with going back to one Alien in a desperate situation, and I was fine with the gothic setting. My main issue with the movie is that they killed off Hicks, Newt, and Bishop less than ten minutes into the movie. You literally could have just ignored Aliens and have the Nostromo's shuttle from the first movie crash land on the prison planet. That is why I didn't like the movie.
                        That is actually a really good point, I love Alien 3, but I am now questioning whether Aliens is better...Hmmm.....
                        I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic
                        Click on sig to check out my fanfic gallery too!

Comment

"Game over man! Game over!"

Loved Aliens. Don't remember Alien 3 too much, it's been awhile since I've seen it. I do remember I didn't like it though.

Hated AvP though, talk about a waste of time. Can't believe they're making a second one.
                          sigpic
                          "Space is disease and danger wrapped in darkness and silence."
                          DS9 Superior|Farscape|Legend of the Seeker|Stargate Universe|STAR WARS

Comment

Hated AvP though, talk about a waste of time. Can't believe they're making a second one.
                            other than the horrid movie the AvP series is rather interesting
                            Last edited by kharn the betrayer; 07 November 2006, 06:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Descent View Post
                              (raises pint) Amen to that sh*t, brother.

They should've set in the future on a different world with marines and should've been a horror movie, not an action.

And been directed by Ridley Scott and James Cameron....
                              I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic
                              Click on sig to check out my fanfic gallery too!

Comment

*Diffibulates...again*
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X