X-Files Discussion and Appreciation Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Theimmortaljedi View Post
    I only recently started watching scifi. I love stargate, and Battle star, I also like shows like dark angel, ANgel, and buffy and charmed. Why would some one like the x-files? Is it just the alien of the week or is there people development? Any good websites for newbeis? thanks
    Good lord. Just about any sci-fi is better than that stuff.

That said though, yes, there is a hell of a lot of character development for both of the lead characters as well as a number of the supporting cast. There are a good number of duds in the first season (obviously they didn't know if they were being picked up for a second go), but then the ball really starts rolling.

There's a significant number of monster-of-the-week episodes, with a far smaller number of mytharc episodes scattered between. I guess it's a lot like SG1 in that respect, there can be an offhand comment made in a one-off episode that won't adversely affect the casual viewer, but it'll mean something to someone following the series.

Another aspect I can't say enough good things about is the show's comedy episodes. They're not out-and-out comedy, mostly a lot of dark humour. Great stuff, honestly. It's such a spooky paranormal show in general and then every so often you get an episode where you're just killing yourself laughing
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

The X-Files is one of the best written sci-fi shows on tv. Part procedural drama, part paranormal paranoia. Mulder and Scully have personalities and quirks that make you love them, and the writers exploit that very well. I'm not so big on the alien mytharc myself, but the episodes are always entertaining, whether they're stand alone freak-of-the-week or interconnected alien arc episodes. Dark, sad, funny, shocking, thought-provoking, fluke-spawning... I can't recommend it enough.

I can't wait to see what Integrabyte has to say to recommend the show.
      sigpic
      More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

The movie will be a late birthday present. Or ten belated birthday presents.
        sigpic
        More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

stargate, battle star...

digi you don't like stargate??

Comment

Originally posted by justhere1971 View Post
            Good bit of spoilery info.
            Thanks!!!

Oh to click or not to click
            I was trying to avoid too many spoilers...

BUT I CAN'T WAIT FOR JULY!!
            -

Comment

stargate, battle star...

digi only meant dark angel, angel, buffy and charmed. hence the boldification
              Spoiler:
              Disclaimer:
              I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
              Quotes!
              - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
              - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
              - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
              sigpic

Comment

Dark angel, and angel are well written with great stories. however I know buffy and charmed have a lot of bubblegum to them.

Comment

Dark angel, and angel are well written with great stories. however I know buffy and charmed have a lot of bubblegum to them.
                  i always liked Charmed and angel. Buffy was alright. never watched dark angel though.
                  Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
                    i always liked Charmed and angel. Buffy was alright. never watched dark angel though.
                    i was the other way round, like buffy, i guess because i watched it all the way through from when it was new. never got into angel or charmed, and never saw Dark angel, maybe it didn't air much over here
                    Spoiler:
                    Disclaimer:
                    I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
                    Quotes!
                    - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
                    - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
                    - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by AvatarIII View Post
                      digi only meant dark angel, angel, buffy and charmed. hence the boldification
                      Bingo, thank you Why would I be posting at GateWorld if I didn't like SG?
                      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                        Bingo, thank you Why would I be posting at GateWorld if I didn't like SG?
                        I dunno, there seem to be plenty of people who post here who don't like it.
                        All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Comment

Originally posted by jds1982 View Post
                          I dunno, there seem to be plenty of people who post here who don't like it.
                          True that. I know I am certainly no stranger to griping about Atlantis, it's not something I (usually) find all that enjoyable. Enjoyed SG1 from beginning to end though, and very much anticipating Continuum

Comment

Originally posted by justhere1971 View Post
                            Good bit of spoilery info.
                            thanx for posting
                            Sig Bye Me and Avi bye Luciana

Comment

Originally posted by RealmOfX View Post
                              Thanks!!!

Oh to click or not to click
                              I was trying to avoid too many spoilers...

BUT I CAN'T WAIT FOR JULY!!
                              Nice sig! I can't wait for that red logo to show up in super duper high resolution to make myself a nice siggy .

Comment

Some more new promo pics have surfaced
                                http://xfilesnews.com/
                                Sig Bye Me and Avi bye Luciana

Comment

Working...
                                X