"Andromeda" Appreciation and Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MartoufMarty
    Was there supposed to be sound for that? I didn't have any sound...

I don't really see all much of a difference. Except for Trance's hair and that there's Doyle in there too lol.
    It's the opening cast pic, there is NOT supposed to be sound.
    Rocky

Comment

Well i saw the new episode with the new opening credits, well nvm, i saw the new episode, but missed the first few minutes of the episode, haha... Anyways, i thought the episode was above decent The guest star looked familiar, oh yah, she plays in Queer as Folk on Showtime
      Amanda, "Wallow Central."

Comment

(*sighs*)

Well, this season is interesting at least. Last season, with the exception of a few eps here and there, was a complete snooze for me. My only problem is that it's like it's another show now. It's got nothing to do with the Magog or the Abyss, or anything. I mean... not yet anyway... not really...

I get the sick feeling we're gonna be stuck in Seefra until the season finale.

... No.

Comment

Originally posted by Elwe Singollo
          Well i saw the new episode with the new opening credits, well nvm, i saw the new episode, but missed the first few minutes of the episode, haha... Anyways, i thought the episode was above decent The guest star looked familiar, oh yah, she plays in Queer as Folk on Showtime
          I know! That was the first thing I said when I saw about 3/4 of the episode last night.

"Hey, it's Lindsay!"

Note: User's posts are rarely serious.
          Member of the F.O.R.D. || Martouf Marty's Webpage || (LJ)

Comment

It was kind of weird, haha, for some reason, i thought she was going to kiss another female out of nowhere for some reason, haha... But newho, again, i feel sorry for the cast, i mean no disrespect, but Kevin Sorbo needs to act better, or is that just me, maybe it is, but when you see him back in Hercules, its pretty much the same corny acting

Comment

It was kind of weird, haha, for some reason, i thought she was going to kiss another female out of nowhere for some reason, haha... But newho, again, i feel sorry for the cast, i mean no disrespect, but Kevin Sorbo needs to act better, or is that just me, maybe it is, but when you see him back in Hercules, its pretty much the same corny acting
              I saw this movie... I think it was Kull The Conquerer or something. It starred Kevin Sorbo and Tia What's-Her-Face. She was cool, but Kevin Sorbo made me laugh. He's just a bad actor. He should quit acting, and go back to making furunture with his wife.

Comment

Haha, maybe its just the type of shows hes been doing, nothing so far he has been in fits him as an actor, but maybe i just haven't seen him in enough movies/tv to judge yet

Comment

Haha, maybe its just the type of shows hes been doing, nothing so far he has been in fits him as an actor, but maybe i just haven't seen him in enough movies/tv to judge yet
                  He was on Regis and Kelly on yesterday. Since it was the Halloween show he was dressed up like Howard Stern. The showed a clip from the episode with Don S. Davis. I didn't hear the clip, but it just... it was just so cheesy!

Comment

I saw that! He was so funny looking as Howard Stern, i loved that, with Regis and Kelly dressed up as different people, very entertaining Your right, it was pretty cheesy, i was worried the audience would laugh, haha...

Comment

Andromeda 5.06 review - When Goes Around...

Part 1 of 4

Spoilers below:

"Contrast is the wellspring of desire.
                      A double-loop matrix
                      within the eternal continuum."

Metaphysical Conclusions of Jacob,
                      All Systems University, Special Collections
                      CY9030

Synopsis

In the bar on Seefra, bartender Harper, with a flashing device strapped around his neck, holds a small bat and tells a customer he can't have any more to drink, since he has already had his one drink per customer. Rhade, sitting at a table playing cards with Beka, Doyle, and Dylan, comments that Harper will get lynched if he doesn't stop serving saliva martinis. Dylan, holding his drink, questions the term. Doyle suggests shifting the planetary orbit away from Methus Two. Rhade thinks the answer might be in the Methus diagram and wonders if Harper has made any progress figuring it out. Dylan says he has been too busy salivating. Dylan watches a woman walking into the tavern's entrance. At the bar, the same customer begs Harper for one more drink and Harper hits him, knocking him back toward the arriving woman, and throwing his bag of money after him. The woman walks to the bar and asks Harper for her usual. Harper asks how she knows his name if he doesn't know hers. She says she tells him every day that her name is Celine. Harper, pouring her a drink, says that isn't possible because he would remember. Celine says she told him early today, so he had better take off his cryo-neck cooler fast. Harper refuses, saying that he paid big money for it. Celine says he never listens, and Harper says not to worry because he can take care of himself. Celine says "Not as much as you think." As she walks away, the customer from before arrives back at the bar and tells Harper that if he can't have a drink he will take Harper's cooler. He and a friend start fighting with Harper. Celine tells a nearby customer to hold his bottle a few inches to the left. As he does, a stray shot comes by and breaks his bottle. Dylan stands, and Celine is surprised to see him. She calls him by name but then corrects herself, saying that he would have to be hundreds of years dead. Everyone in the bar hears this and stops what they're doing to listen, even the two ruffians who are beating up on Harper. Beka walks over and puts her arm around Dylan, saying "not bad for a dead guy." Dylan thanks her and she goes back to the table. Celine says she had confused Dylan with a High Guard Captain from the old legends. She walks out of the bar, as Dylan watches her in astonishment.

Celine walks back into the bar as Harper punches the customer again and throws his money after him again. She reenacts the scene where she asks for a drink and Harper doesn't know her name. This time she tells him that things get a little clearer every time, because he is smarter than the last twenty bartenders they have had. She walks away from the bar and Harper gets into the fight again. She walks over to Dylan and asks him if he is Captain Dylan Hunt. Dylan says yes, but no one on Seefra knows about the High Guard. He says that she's not from around there, and she says she is from "around...and around." He says he couldn't help watching as she came in because she is quite perceptive. She says he has no idea. He asks her to enlighten him. She says he is like his namesake in more ways than looks. He asks how she knows what the historical Captain looked like. She says it's complicated. Doyle, eavesdropping, says that Dylan specializes in complicated. Dylan steers Celine away from the table, saying that what Doyle meant was that he is good at recognizing trouble, that she looks like she is in trouble, and maybe he can help. Celine says that he is perceptive and maybe he can help. She steps back and one of the combatants goes flying by where she was standing. Dylan asks how she is able to do that.

Dylan and Celine leave the bar and walk down the street. Dylan starts to ask a question and Celine tells him her full name. She says it was common sense that time, and that she can't accept his help without telling him her full name. Dylan says that she has a beautiful name and asks what kind of trouble she's in. She says he will think she's insane, and Dylan says he likes insane. She asks if he knows what it's like to lose complete control of his life, to be trapped between his past and his future. He says they should talk about her. She falters and almost leaves, but Dylan offers help again. She says she needs to trust him and to know him better. Dylan says he is not opposed to that.

In Flavin's lab, Dylan pours a glass of water and gives it to Celine. She says it has been so long since she spent the afternoon walking, she had forgotten how thirsty a person could get. Dylan says he hopes it wasn't too monotonous, and she says she didn't notice, and that she never had a better time. Dylan says she's not bad company herself, and kisses her. He says it's time for her to tell him what's going on. She says it IS about time, all about time. She notices his High Guard uniform hanging on the wall and says that she knows he is The Captain Dylan Hunt. He admits it, and she says they have met before. Just before he assumed command of the Andromeda, there was a parade in his honor and she climbed up on a railing to watch. He recognizes her as the Lieutenant who fell and broke her wrist. She says he carried her to the med station. He says that was more than 300 years ago. She says that if he's wondering why she's still alive after 300 years, she could ask him the same question. Dylan tells her the story of Witchhead and being suspended on the edge of the black hole for 300 years. She seems surprised that the Commonwealth is gone. He asks for her story. She promises to tell him but wants to do something else first. She kisses him, and he kisses back. Dylan says there are more ways than one to get to know each other. Celine says she is not opposed to that. They begin to kiss again.

Later, as Dylan sleeps in his bed, Celine quietly gets dressed. She says to herself that she hopes Dylan can help her. Then a breeze blows in her face, and she becomes transparent and vanishes. Suddanly it is daytime. Dylan awakes and notices his High Guard jacket on the bed. He is puzzled, wondering what it is doing there.

The timeline resets, and we are back in the bar where Harper, holding the bat, tells the customer that he can't have any more to drink. Rhade thinks Harper will be lynched for the saliva martinis and Doyle wants to move the planet. Dylan tells Rhade that Harper is too busy salivating, then tells him he should try being in a good mood some time. The scene is subtly different from the original scene. Celine walks into the bar as Harper punches the customer. She asks Harper for the usual and tells him to take it off, then walks away without a drink as the customer starts fighting with Harper. She walks past the customer with the bottle but doesn't tell him to move it this time. She walks up to Dylan and addresses him as Captain Dylan Hunt. She tells him her name and says that they have met before. He says he would have remembered. She says "Heads Up!" as the stray shot breaks the customer's bottle. He says that's remarkable, and she says she needs help. He says it doesn't look like it. She says looks can be deceiving and asks if they can step outside.

As they walk in the street, Dylan is trying to get the story straight that she has told him, that they spent the whole afternoon together and he agreed to help her. She calls him Captain, and he says he doesn't hear that term very much any more. She says he probably doesn't hear himself described as the captain of the Andromeda and the sole survivor of the battle of Witchhead either. He wants her to tell him how she knows that. She tells him his story of being trapped at the black hole and says he's the one who told her about it, in his room before they got...distracted. He says that's not possible, and she says today is all she has anyway...thousands of them. She pulls a flat device from her pocket and hands it to him. He manipulates it and it displays her picture from the front and side. He recognizes it as being from V.A.I., the Vedran Astro-engineering Institute, the engineers who developed the slipstream drive for the Commonwealth fleet. He says the card is dated CY 9789. She says that's when she worked for them, 300 years ago. She says they have a lot in common. She says she wants to show him something. She walks to a hatch cover set into the street and opens it with his help. They climb down the ladder that's set into the side of the shaft. As they get to the bottom, she says she hasn't had the guts to visit the place until now. As shadows of running figures go by on the walls, Dylan says he can see why she was reluctant to come back down there. She says she was terrified. They walk through the dark cavern as Dylan says he remembers a team from V.A.I. showing him the nav upgrades on Andromeda. Celine says that was their public directive. Their classified directive was to find a way to secure their end of slipstream, so forces from The Abyss couldn't find their system. Dylan says he hasn't heard The Abyss's name in a while, and that the plan must have worked. Celine says that was the plan, but her supervisors had a different idea. They diverted funds and used the navigational technology for their own project, a portal to the Route of Ages. Dylan, incredulous, asks if Seefra-1 is a portal to the Route of Ages. Celine says it wasn't supposed to be. He asks if she was forced to go along. She says she was duped, and when she found out what was going on, she tried to warn the rest of V.A.I. She showed them her calculations about how altering planetary orbits would cause climate disruption. Her supervisors blew her off as a nut, so she blew the whistle on them and has been paying the price ever since. They arrive at a door and Celine retrieves her ID card from Dylan. She holds it up to a scanner, the door opens, and they enter. Dylan says he is happy that she got to keep her security clearance. She tells him she is a quantum mathematician and calls him Captain. He asks her to call him Dylan, since they were "distracted" together. She smiles and calls him Dylan. She tells him that she overlaid her supervisors' security code onto hers. As she walks up to a computer console, she says that when Methus Two started to blink, she knew that the portal had been initiated and that Seefra's orbit was shifting.

Comment

Part 2 of 4

She activates the computer console and the a nearby device lights up. Dylan theorizes that the orbit shift kick-started the drought cycles, and Celine says it was destroying the mechanism to fix it all. As she works at the console, there are several error tones and she curses in frustration. Dylan notices a large crystal in a pedestal. He picks it up and says it's a Methus Crystal. Celine walks over to him, saying that now it's her turn to be surprised that he knows what it is. Dylan says that they have one that may be the other half of the crystal he is holding, that they had been trying to decipher it, that they thought it was connected to the drought, and that this crystal could help. Celine is doubtful that a broken crystal would help, since the last time she saw it, it was whole. She had tried to sneak in and shut the system down and the crystal was the last thing she remembered. She had been stuck in a time loop ever since, for three hundred years, here and gone, here and gone. Dylan theorizes that she was pulled into a portal created by her supervisors. Celine thinks that the computer program must have a recursive algorithm that keeps bouncing her back in time. She works at another computer console as Dylan watches. He holds up the crystal and says that he's not a quantum mathematician, but two halves make a whole. He notes that she is tired and thinks she should get some rest. She says she wants to get as much accomplished as possible before the sun sets and the time loop starts over. He steps up close to her and says he needs to get her life back. She wonders if there's something else that can break the time loop, something stronger than Vedran engineering. They kiss, and Dylan says it's a nice idea but he's not taking any chances. He takes her by the hand and the leave. As they walk through the caverns, they are attacked by three cave dwellers. Dylan kills two with his force lance and Celine knocks the third one down. He gets up and starts to attack. Dylan aims his force lance and tells the creature that he's very good with it. The creature runs off into the cavern. As Dylan helps Celine get up, he tells her to remember to tell him never to pick a fight with her.

On board Andromeda, Trance scans Celine, who is lying on a medical bed. Trance says that she is very weak and may be dying. Dylan says that 300 years in the time loop may be why she's weak. He asks Trance to look after her, and he leaves.

Harper walks down the corridor with Doyle, telling a joke as they go. The punch line is "Why, it's a knick knack, Patty Black, give the Magog a loan!" Doyle asks if that is supposed to be funny. Harper says it's always funny to him. Doyle says maybe it's his delivery, and Harper says everyone's a critic.

On the bridge, Doyle, Dylan, and Harper look at the Vedran system display which has been made more complete by the second crystal. There is a circular rotating picture with icons around the outside (not unlike a Stargate) that is still broken in two places. Dylan says that it is Seefra's orbital chart, and that they have until the sun reaches a certain point. Harper asks if they forget her again, like "poof." Dylan agrees that it's "like poof." Harper theorizes that they are all in the time loop together, even if it doesn't feel like it. Dylan points at the broken edge of the iconic picture and says it may be their best hope. Harper tries to activate the Andromeda computer to analyze the problem, but it doesn't work. He says the computer is not quite ready for that. Doyle says she will try. She types commands into a computer console and the main viewscreen changes, displaying two columns of numbers and letters. Part way down, both columns are missing several rows of characters. Doyle says that the first column represent coordinates in space and the second describes Seefra's fixed position. Dylan thinks that every community must have a way station for global surveying, and Doyle concurs. Dylan and Harper theorize that Celine's supervisors were trying to change Seefra's orbit by tapping into the gravitational forces at the entry to the Route of Ages, which is risky but resourceful. Doyle says that there's missing information where the two halves of the circle are broken. It would have to be estimated, and Harper says there's too much missing and even Doyle couldn't solve it. Doyle suggests they ask Celine for the missing information. Dylan says she's too weak, so Doyle suggests a cerebral memory boost. Dylan says that would kill her. Harper says she is dying anyway, to which Dylan responds that they aren't there to hurry that along, but to free her from the loop. When Doyle starts to say that they can't understand the loop, Dylan becomes angry and shouts that Celine is a living being, not a means to an end. Doyle looks at him for a few seconds and then smiles and walks away. Harper points out that Doyle was just stating facts. Dylan looks at the screen for a few seconds and then apologizes to Doyle. Doyle says that they don't have a lot of time, to which Dylan responds that they will need a lot of luck.

Celine awakens and asks Trance if the suns have set. Trance responds that they haven't set yet, so people still remember Celine, at least for a little while. Celine asks about Dylan, and Trance says he's with Harper and Doyle. Celine says that they are trying to decipher the Methus diagram from the crystal, and that she must help them. She starts to get up, but Trance tells her that Dylan wants Celine to rest while she still can. Celine says that she remembers the moments leading up to the start of the time loop, but the part of her brain that did the mathematical calculations had become damaged by the time loop, as damaged as the crystal. She says Trance is much too young to understand. Trance responds that she understands perfectly, and sometimes it might be easier not knowing what you were capable of. She puts her hands on Celine's forehead and abdomen, and her hands glow for a few seconds, then stop. She asks if that helped Celine, and Celine says she doesn't know what Trance did, but she feels stronger. Trance says she doesn't know how long it will last, but she wishes she could do more. Celine says they all do what they can.

Harper and Doyle are walking through the corridor. Doyle is trying to get Harper's joke straight, about the guy who asks his food server what this bug is doing in his astral gruel, and the food server says it's the backstroke. Harper is happy that Doyle gets the joke. Doyle says that bugs can't swim, unless they are water bugs, but those only walk on the water's surface using surface tension, so they don't really count. Harper tries to explain that the joke is a play on words, a reversal of expectations, where you think the server is going to say one thing and instead he says something else. Doyle says that if Harper wanted her to understand jokes, he should have given her a sense of humor. She says she has the same problem with the joke about the algae farmer and his daughter. She doesn't understand why the Zinc merchant sleeps in the barn. Harper tries to give her an easy one, so he tells her the knock knock joke using Orange, with the punch line "Orange you glad to see me?" Doyle immediately understands that it's like the banana in the pocket joke - you're glad to see me. Harper says no, but yes and no. Doyle says she understands now, and happily announces that she has a knock knock joke for Harper:

Doyle: Knock knock.
                        Harper: Who's there?
                        Doyle: Doyle.
                        Harper: Doyle who?
                        Doyle: No...DOYLE. Get it?

Harper looks exasperated and walks away. Doyle giggles behind her hand at having outsmarted him.

Comment

Part 3 of 4

Dylan, alone on the bridge, analyzes the broken picture and the two-column table. Celine arrives, and Dylan tries to shoo her away. She tells him she wants to use the little time she has left. She wants him to show her the Methus diagram on the data pad he's holding. He wants her to rest. She says it will sap her strength faster if she has to fight him, but she will fight him. He hads her the pad and explains what they have done so far. Her fingers start to fly across the pad and she says all they have to do is link the algorithms. She says it looks familiar but she hates that she can't remember. She notes something on the pad and asks if they can do cerebral acceleration. Dylan says they rejected that choice. She tells him she wants to stimulate the left hemisphere of her cerebrum. He says it's too dangerous. She dreads starting over in the time loop again, and tells him there's only one way out - the other side of eternity. He says he will get her out, and that he was trapped in a time loop himself. She says he was asleep, not awake and suffocating in loneliness. She kisses him and says it's no use, that they will have to keep starting over and soon she won't be able to. Dylan says he won't forget this time, and Celine says he can't promise that. He says that he did promise, and they kiss again. As they kiss, she fades out into nothingness and Dylan is left alone on the bridge. He calls out her name and puts his fingers to his lips, feeling her kiss.

Later, Dylan and Trance walk down a corridor. Trance looks at Celine's ID card and hands it to Dylan. She speculates that Dylan likes Celine. Dylan says he can't remember her, although he feels something when he looks at her picture. Trance says that feelings are real, and every association changes an outcome, and that Celine will be back. Dylan says he hopes so, because she is the key to turning the planet around. Harper runs in, shouting that he has it, then runs out again. Dylan and Trance follow him to the bridge, where he says that the idea came to him in a dream, and that what looks like The Harper sleeping is actually greatness at work. He asks the Andromeda computer to pull up the source code for the slipstream navigation system and compare it with the Methus diagram. Andromeda comes onto the viewscreen and says that the code has been located. As the code comes up on the screen, portions of it are highlighted and transported to the broken circle, filling in the broken areas until the circle is complete. Dylan says it looks like the supervisors found a way to factor slipstream into their algorithm. Harper notes that it's a way to steer to the Route of Ages. Dylan says that Harper should sleep on the job more often, and Harper says he will try. Dylan says they need to translate the code to slip Seefra-1 back into its proper orbit. Trance says they may need some help. Dylan pulls out Celine's ID card and looks at it.

Dylan stands in the street on Seefra, holding Celine's ID card and looking around for her. Suddenly Celine runs up to him and calls out his name. Dylan says he thinks he knows her, and she says he does, and kisses him. She smiles and says that he thought only the Vedran code could break the loop. Then she starts to collapse. Dylan catches her in his arms and tells her to come inside. She says she wants to go to the lab, and she wants to undergo cerebral acceleration. He says she can't risk her life like that. She says her life is over every day, and that if he really wants to free her, he might have to let her die. He says he doesn't want to lose her. She says she failed to help Seefra once, so maybe she can do it now. She begs him, and finally he relents.

Dylan and Celine travel through the caverns once again, this time followed by Beka and Rhade, both armed. Beka says that they should move fast before they are attacked. Just then two cave dwellers attack, and Beka and Dylan kill them. Beka suggests that Dylan and Celine should go ahead. Rhade says he and Beka will be the welcoming committee. Dylan and Celine continue through the cavern. They arrive at the lab to find Doyle and Harper already there, the machines all lighted and operating. Harper says it's nice to meet Celine again, he thinks. Celine notices that everything is up and running, and Doyle says it was with the help of her ID code. Celine turns to Dylan and says that she knew the minute she saw him that he was her answer. She says this will work. She lies down on a table as Harper slips a headset on her head and explains that it will allow her brain to create a virtual bridge between the two halves of the crystal by boosting her cognitive functions.

Back in the cave, Beka and Rhade get into a brief fight with three more creatures but are able to kill them right away. Rhade comments that it was easy.

In the lab, Harper places one of the crystals into its pedestal, and a computer screen lights up, showing a scan of a human brain. Doyle says that they are online, and Celine says that she is ready.

Beka and Rhade get into a firefight with some armed cave dwellers. Beka notes that it is not so easy this time.

Celine winces in pain as the process begins. Dylan grabs her to hold her steady, calling out her name. As she squirms in pain, Doyle studies apparent brain wave readouts and the instrument readings begin to trend upward. Dylan shouts to shut the system down, but Celine countermands his order. Dylan tells Doyle to check her vital signs, and Doyle says her internal systems are holding.

Beka and Rhade continue to fight the cave dwellers. One is killed but another arrives to take his place.

Celine asks how they bridged the Vedran codes. Harper says they used the slipstream nav, and wonders if it will be all right. Celine says it is close, and asks if they still have the slipstream codes. Doyle recites an equation, and Celine uses her brain power to change some of the formulas in the two-column table. She realizes that the supervisors tried to seal the slipstream on one end, but instead they fractured the gravitational field of Seefra's orbit, which is why they couldn't control the planetery shift. Dylan notes that it was also why Celine was caught in the time loop. Celine tells Harper to adjust one of the settings. He does, and the crystal in the pedestal starts to glow. On the table, Celine convulses and Dylan grabs her. She relaxes and says that she is done. Her head rolls to one side, and she says weakly to Dylan that she would not trade the time with him. On the computer screen, the once-again broken circle fills in with equations, becoming complete. Doyle reports that Celine's vital signs are dropping as Harper reports that the process is working. A gigantic energy beam shoots straight up from the lab floor.

Beka and Rhade are still engaged in the firefight. After many dangerous sequences, they manage to kill the three cave dwellers who are opposing them.

In the lab, Harper asks if they are supposed to throw Celine into the beam. Dylan picks her up and says that they must go back to where it all started.

In the streets of Seefra, the citizens run away from the massive beam that shoots upward from the street. Dylan arrives carrying Celine and followed by Beka, Doyle, Harper, and Rhade. Harper scans the area and notes that the beam's location in the street is directly above the lab. Beka says that it's no wonder a time loop started there. Celine regains consciousness and Dylan sets her on her feet. Celine asks where they are. Dylan tells her that they are at the end, and at a new beginning. Celine looks at the beam and says it's the portal. Dylan says she did it - she bought herself a one-way ticket out of the loop, and she can go back to her life. As they embrace, the others turn away respectfully. Celine says she wants to stay with him. Dylan tells her that she died, that she won't have a future unless she goes back and stays back. She says "I loved you then. I love you now." Dylan says "I'm not opposed to that." She kisses him, they gaze into each other's eyes, and then she walks into the beam. Dylan calls her name and asks her to tell everyone about Witchhead, and to warn everyone about the Magog world ship. Harper runs up and throws his neck cooler to her, saying that it was just causing him trouble anyway. She catches it and waves to them all, then vanishes. The beam diminishes and dies.

Later, Dylan stands outside the bar looking at the sky. Beka, Doyle, Harper, Rhade, and Trance exit the bar. Beka notices Dylan looking upward and says he's going to get a sore neck. Dylan says he was watching in case Celine came back. Doyle notes that if she were coming back, she would have arrived 60 seconds ago. Trance tells Dylan that it's a new day, and Celine is free. She must be out of the loop, or else everyone would have forgotten her. Beka tells Dylan to buck up, that the last thing he needs in his life is another beautiful, brainy blonde. Suddenly there is a rumbling sound and the earth shakes. Everyone looks to the sky, wondering what happened. Doyle says it felt like a planetary shift, and Dylan says it sounded like thunder. As the Andromeda crew and the citizens of Seefra look around, bewildered, the rain begins. It comes down in buckets, wetting everyone (except Trance) and raising the spirits of all. There is cheering and jubilation in the streets of Seefra. Dylan, soaking wet, looks to the sky and wishes Celine a good future.

Impressions

Brandy Ledford is now in the credits. She is also back in pink, which doesn't look so out of place now. She got rid of that horrible hairdo with the top combed straight back. Now it's a more normal-looking arrangement with a real part. Overall the effect is very nice.

Doyle is beginning to fit into the crew. The sequence where Harper is trying to make her understand humor was beginning to look like Geordi telling jokes to Data. But when Doyle's knock knock joke fails, we see that she really understands humor after all but is just fooling with Harper. That was very well done.

Harper doesn't seem to fit in as the bartender. But as the ship's engineer, who has solutions come to him in a dream, and who solves complicated problems when everyone else is stuck, he fits just fine. It was great to see him get credit for completing that circle.

It's a time travel story so it automatically gains points just for that. The "Groundhog Day" scenario has been played out in several science fiction series, and it's always intriguing to see how the characters are going to escape from it.

The basic conflict for Dylan is the same conflict that is played out day after day all across this planet. Do you use heroic measures to keep a dying loved one alive? Or do you let that person go to a new end, and a new beginning? This is what makes a good story, not meaningless space battles or attacks from furry monsters. You get entranced by the story because you identify with the character and the anguish he must feel as he makes his decision. You CARE about the character because he is just like you, or your father, or your uncle, or anyone you know who has had to make that final decision. You know what pain he is facing, because you or others you know have faced exactly the same pain. This is the mark of good writing, of people who care about the story they are telling. This is why the series is worthwhile to watch now, if perhaps it was questionable before.

The ending was beautiful. Seefra was a dry desert planet with scorching suns, a horrible place to live. Now it is beginning to transform into a more habitable place to live, thanks to Celine and the Andromeda crew. And the citizens of Seefra were overjoyed to see the rain coming down. Brilliant and well done.

Comment

Part 4 of 4

There are a few nit-picks that could be listed. If a character is really in a time loop, playing the same day over and over, then it would still be the same calendar date for her. If she started the time loop 300 years in the past, then she could never advance to the present day, because she would be replaying the same day over and over. If she were really in a time loop, then she would have met Dylan hundreds of times before, yet in this episode she sees him for the first time in 300 years. The cave dwellers didn't quite ring true - bald-headed white guys in all-black business suits. Their origin was not explained and it seemed that they were there only to provide a sense of urgency. But these are merely nit-picks, and they detract very little from the excellent sixth episode of season five.

NOTE: There are more episode reviews at the www.saveandromeda.com forum.

Comment

I've been noodling over at the SciFi Channel -- and just noticed that Andromeda SciFi Tuesday suddenly stops after November 16th -- just as SciFi Channel was starting season two.

Now...the holiday season IS coming up, with the Earthseas mini-series and all...

But Andromeda has not done well in the ratings on the SciFi Channel at all.

Wondering if SciFi Tuesday will return with Andromeda after the new year...or?

Morjana

SG1/SGA/SGU - Saving Earth/Atlantis/?, one mission at a time!
                              SG1-Spoilergate Richard Dean Anderson Fans Abydos Gate Morjana
                              Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

Maybe they'll stop, because even though i'm a fan of andromeda, i don't watch the repeats, haha...

Comment

Working...
                                X