Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Snowcrash is another good "top ten" book. Neal Stephenson. Heh.

I remember liking Pastwatch. Orson Scott Card. Double heh. His Ender's Game wasn't too bad, either, although it took me a few tries to get through it.

Comment

Oh, top ten sci-fi novels... Hmmmm... In no particular order, except for the first two!!

Republic Commando: Hard Contact by Karen Traviss
      RC: Triple Zero by Karen Traviss
      Starfighters of Adumar by Aaron Allston
      Firebird by Kathy Tyers was perdy good
      Star Trek: Nemesis by some author--can't remember
      Iron Fist by Aaron Allston
      Rogue Squadron by Michael Stackpole
      Tales of the Bounty Hunters by Various authors
      Battle Surgeons by Micheal Reaves and Steve Perry
      The Approaching Storm by Alan Dean Foster

And I'm REELY wanting to get my hands on a Stargate Atlantis book!
      "Okay, you know what, just stop it. Alright? Lucius is not a superhero--Batman, is a superhero..."
      McKay

Comment

Originally posted by warmbeachbrat
        <snip>
        Pilgrimage - Zenna Henderson
        I don't have words for how much I love her books, too bad she only wrote a few. Her stories of earth-like aliens with paranormal powers who find refuge on earth are wonderful to read. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/038...lance&n=283155

<snip>
        Boy, it's a good thing you didn't ask about Fantasy--my list would be twice as long. I thought I'd enclose a link to the books on amazon, so you could get an idea of price, reviews, etc (you could try wikipedia, too). Sorry for the length!
        Pilgrimage!
        The very first sci-fi book I ever stole read. I took it from my brother's bookshelf when I was about 6. Been an addict ever since.

I don't have titles to recommend, I have authors.
        Isacc Asimov - even his non-fiction stuff.
        Andre Norton - her Sci-fi, not fantasy. (I don't care that much for fantasy)
        Robert A Heinlein - virtually anything.
        CJ Cherryh - her 'Chanur' series and the 'Faded Sun' trilogy ( I forgot Downbelow and Cyteen )
        Marion Zimmer Bradley - the Darkover series
        Bujold - the Vorkosigan series.

This is really tough. I've got, no kidding, over 4000 books in my personal library. Most of them are Sci-fi. In grade school, I started with the A's in the library and worked my way to the Z's.

READ! Read anything. Don't let anyone laugh at you. Read until your brain is full, then read some more. It's the most 'mind expanding' experience I know.

Books - my drug of choice.
        Last edited by Jynjyr; 01 July 2006, 05:18 PM.
        You're never too old to do something goofy.
        sigpic
        Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.

Comment

Originally posted by Jynjyr
          This is really tough. I've got, no kidding, over 4000 books in my personal library. Most of them are Sci-fi. In grade school, I started with the A's in the library and worked my way to the Z's.

READ! Read anything. Don't let anyone laugh at you. Read until your brain is full, then read some more. It's the most 'mind expanding' experience I know.

Books - my drug of choice.
          I had no idea Marion Zimmer Bradley wrote sci-fi, I read The Mists of Avalon a couple years ago (that brick of a tome took nearly two months), great read. And I read another of hers, which I can't quite remember the title.....Something about a Priestess.

And absolutly, reading is so wonderful and eye-opening- the library is my favourite place.

Comment

Originally posted by Cheerios
            The Approaching Storm by Alan Dean Foster
            I haven't heard of this one of his--is it new? What's it about?

I am so blessed! Cherriey made this cool sig; scarimor made this great Dr. Lee smilie and Spudster made another neat one Dr. Lee RULES!

Myn's fabulous twilight bark smilie:

Comment

Originally posted by Jynjyr
              Pilgrimage!
              The very first sci-fi book I ever stole read. I took it from my brother's bookshelf when I was about 6. Been an addict ever since.
              Someone else who's read Pilgrimage! It really is one of my favorites. My mom is the only other person I know who has read it (guess where I got my copy!).

I am so blessed! Cherriey made this cool sig; scarimor made this great Dr. Lee smilie and Spudster made another neat one Dr. Lee RULES!

Myn's fabulous twilight bark smilie:

Comment

In no real order:
                Dune
                A Stranger in a Strange Land
                Ender's Game
                Asimov's Robot Detective Novels (The names escape me right now)
                Foundation
                Hitchhikers Guide to the Gallaxy
                Others that I cannot think of
                Last edited by flyinace; 31 July 2006, 03:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Trek_Girl42
                  I had no idea Marion Zimmer Bradley wrote sci-fi, I read The Mists of Avalon a couple years ago (that brick of a tome took nearly two months), great read. And I read another of hers, which I can't quite remember the title.....Something about a Priestess.

And absolutly, reading is so wonderful and eye-opening- the library is my favourite place.
                  Firebrand? Her Cassandra of Troy novel? I'm in two minds whether or not to read that book. I love Cassandra stuff but books like that can get a bit flowery and gushing.

My favourites tend to be either Terry Pratchett/Jasper FForde comic fantasies or Alistar Reynolds/Dan Simmons SF epics.

Comment

Originally posted by Cheerios
                    Star Trek: Nemesis by some author--can't remember
                    It was J.M. Dillard, who also wrote the novelization for the previous 5 Trek films. His work is MUCH better than the person who did 2-4.
                    sigpic
                    "Dragons can't change who they are, but who would want them to? Dragons are powerful, amazing creatures."--Hiccup; Dragons: Riders of Berk

My Books:
                    Draconia: Forging Trust, Draconia: Fractured Dream, Draconia: Rehatching

Comment

Well, I know several of these have been said before, but they bear repeating, in no particular order.
                      A Canticle for Leibowitz - Walter M. Miller
                      Ender's Game (and also the Bean series) - Orson Scott Card
                      Fahrenheit 451 - Ray Bradbury
                      The Foundation Trilogy - Isaac Asimov
                      The Illustrated Man (Not a novel, but still...) - Ray Bradbury
                      Stranger in a Strange Land (bit of a shock for some not into counterculture, but hey)- Robert A. Heinlen
                      War of the Worlds - H. G. Wells
                      i, robot (Not a novel either, but...its Asimov!)- Isaac Asimov
                      The Space Trilogy (starting with Out of the Silent Planet - C. S. Lewis
                      From the Earth to the Moon - Jules Verne

Banners by Luciana, Nici and myself.

Comment

Anyone read any of the Culture series of novels by Iain M Banks?

Comment

Originally posted by Wraith Scientist
                          Anyone read any of the Culture series of novels by Iain M Banks?
                          I haven't, though I do have his "The Player of Games" on my docket.

Comment

You guys have listed a lot of good ones so I won't repeat.

I'll add "Hiero's Journey" by Sterling Lanier. It's out of print, but I love it so much that I bought the rights and am adapting it as a screenplay.

Check my thread on it!

Comment

A lot of the books listed here I'm gonna have to read. I have to admit, I don't read that many "sci-fi" novels. I've read a few Star Trek novels, which are quite good, and I've read Hitchhikers guide, but that's about it. If any vampire noves count as sci-fi, then the list goes up. But I'm deffinately going to have to take a trip to the library.
                              sigpic

"I don't know how you can call yourself a scientist and not worship at the altar of Roddenberry" - Coombs
                              "The men cheered! The women fainted! The children waved multi-coloured flags!" - Amanda Tapping
                              My Livejournal my Tweets and my Tumblr

Comment

Another one to add - "Spin" by Robert Charles Wilson. It's likely to win the Hugo award for best novel this year and it's one of the better books I've read in a while. I highly recommend it.

Comment

Working...
                                X