Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh, another highly revered science-fiction book (though I've never read it myself) is Olaf Stapledon's Last and First Men
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by Pitry
      Don't! Honestly. They're becoming worse and worse as time goes by. Better to stop at Speaker. Well, my opinion. Some people like them
      Well, there does appear to be an unwritten law that the quality of books in a series goes down as the series progresses, though I assume there are exceptions. Same holds true for TV shows.

I think that EG is the best book of the series by far, though I really enjoyed SFTD and Xenocide. Things went downhill after that for me - never got into the Bean series either.

Oh, and I forgot one recommendation: "Perdido Street Station" by China Mieville. It's sort of a scifi/fantasy mix though and a big read, but simply fantastic. I've found all of his books to be quite enjoyable.

Comment

Originally posted by ToasterOnFire
        (snipped)
        Oh, and I forgot one recommendation: "Perdido Street Station" by China Mieville. It's sort of a scifi/fantasy mix though and a big read, but simply fantastic. I've found all of his books to be quite enjoyable.
        You know, I actually have that book but I haven't read it yet. What's it like?

I am so blessed! Cherriey made this cool sig; scarimor made this great Dr. Lee smilie and Spudster made another neat one Dr. Lee RULES!

Myn's fabulous twilight bark smilie:

Comment

It's a case of each to their own I suppose, that China Melville book is one of the two Sci-Fi related novels I bought and couldn't finish and I easily have 500+ Sci-Fi novels, the other one was called Appleseed can't even remember who wrote it but I can remember it was dire.

On to the stuff I like:

David Weber is a must for me, excellent books, read the first Harrington novel and now own every Sci-Fi related book he's every written, big fan of the Honor Harrington stuff can't get enough of it. The Stars at Wars series isn't bad either. You may also wish to read The March series of novels written with John Ringo, it's not in the same league as the Harrington series but it's worth the time to read non the less.

Peter F Hamilton, The Night's Dawn Trilogy is also an excellent read and I have to say I like all his novels with the exception of Judas Unchained which just didn't do it for me.

The Vernor Vinge stuff A Fire Upon The Deep and A Deepness In The sky is also an excellent read as mentioned elsewhere.

Richard Morgan is a great read with some interesting concepts, stylish action and plot lines that largely leave you guessing until the end, Altered Carbon, Broken Angels, Woken Furies and Market Forces.

Iain M Banks' Culture novels are well worth the time to read.

The Bolo Series (futuristic large tanks defending humanity from it's foes) which is done by various authours.

Neil Asher's Polity Novels, Alastair Reynold's Revelation Space series started very promisingly but tailed of a little towards the end I would still recommend it none the less.

Larry Niven's Ringworld series is good stuff along with Asimov's foundation novels also mentioned elsewhere.

Comment

I haven't read too many scifi novels... but these are the ones I've enjoyed...

The Demolished Man by Alfred Bester
            The Stars My Destination by Alfred Bester
            The Robot Stories by Asimov
            The Original Foundation Series by Asimov (Really, really gripping stuff)
            Dune and Children of Dune were probably the best of the Dune series
            Ender's Game
            Homecoming series by Orson Scott Card
            The Invisible Man by HG Wells
            The Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury
            Flowers for Algernon

For some reason I didn't enjoy Neuromancer... I just couldn't connect with any of the characters. I suppose that was deliberate but it didn't work for me. I found Neal Stephenson's Snow Crash more accessible as a representative of the cyberpunk genre.
            sigpic
            "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

I´d also like to add Nights Dawn trilogy by Peter Hamilton, this series is incredibly good and deserves to be on any top ten sci-fi books list.

Comment

Some good lists on here. I'll have to check some of these out soon. Most of the ones on my list have already been mentioned but I'll list some of the favorites I've read anyway. In no particular order.

Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy - whole series of course
                Ender's Game - haven't read the others yet
                Dune - first one is the best
                Rogue Squadron Series - it's pretty good if you like side characters and stuff. Lots of Wedge Antilles in them. Well written.
                Stargods Trilogy by Irene Radford - a favorite author of mine. It's has a lot of fantasy as well.
                Pern Series and Pegusus series - Both by Anne McCaffrey. Oustanding author. Pegusus is more scifi than Pern. She also Coauthors the Acorna Series another good scifi.
                I, Robot by Asimov - good read. Haven't gotten to the Foundantion Series yet.

Well, that's sort of ten anyway.
                "There's no point in growing up if you can't be childish sometimes." ~Doctor Who, Robot~

SGA Fanfiction

Comment

the Neaderthal Paradox books.
                  Spoiler:
                  Before you met me I was a fairy princess
                  I caught frogs and called them prince
                  And made myself a queen
                  Before you knew me I traveled 'round the world
                  I slept in castles and fell in love
                  Because I was taught to dream

I found mayonnaise bottles and poked holes on top
                  To capture tinkerbell
                  They were just fireflies to the untrained eye
                  But I could always tell

I believe in fairytales and dreamers dreams like bed sheet sails
                  And I believe in Peter Pan and miracles
                  And anything I can to get by
                  And fireflies...

"What's the point of being grown-up if you can't act childish sometimes?" -- Doctor Who

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid
                    Regarding Dune, yes, just read the first one. I have never heard anyone say anything good about the sequels. Including my high school English teacher (who loved the first book), who was of the opinion that Herbert continued writing as he slowly went insane, resulting in crappy sequels.
                    WHAT? You haven't been in many Dune discussions then. Most poeple are torn between the first and fourth being the best. I personally thought the series got better as it went along. They were far from crappy. And if anything Herbert became more of a genious before he died. Your English teacher is an idiot.

Anyway, I don't read scifi books besides Dune and all the books that have resulted from it...
                    Most of my collection is fiction.
                    I have a wierd love for apocalyptic/post-apocalyptic books, like Swan Song and The Stand.
                    Music Profile: 83710 Songs --- 3714 Artists --- 7051 Albums

Comment

2069: An Erotic Odyssey - HAL likes to watch.

Dr. Moreau's Fantasy Island - The story of an island where people go to fulfill their fantasies and become horrible genetically spliced freaks of nature.

Sandcastle Contest of Dune - As we all know, you need water to make sandcastles but Arrakis is a barren world with no oceans, rivers, or any bodies of water, so a great war is waged and the sandcastles are erected with blood of the vanquished.

I, Mr. Roboto - It’s about a dystopian future where rock and or roll are suppressed by the all powerful Dr. Righteous and it details the amazing journey of Robert Orin Charles Kilroy.

20,000 Leagues Under the Seas - The Hunt for Red October, Captain Ahab's Revenge - Great sequel and the best part: cyborg pirate ninjas with lasers.

Celsius 233 - Fahrenheit 451 is based on this book. The difference is that in Celcius 233, the books are made of hemp and the reason why the government wants to burn them is because they want to get high.

Stephen Colbert’s Alpha Squad 7 - Lady Nocturne: A Tek Jansen Adventure - Great book but you should only read it if you have the balls.
                      Last edited by Giantevilhead; 23 June 2006, 11:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by warmbeachbrat
                        You know, I actually have that book but I haven't read it yet. What's it like?
                        Hmmm...it's a story about a dirty, grungy city on some other planet filled with unhappy citizens, corrupted politicians, unrest, upheaval, and the like. There's a somewhat large cast of characters, but it basically boils down to a group of misfits who unknowingly release a group of very bad entities into the city, have to track them down and save the day, etc. etc. There are lots of unique intelligent species - ones with insect heads and humanoid bodies, ones that have wings, ones that are like amphibians IIRC. I liked the mix of speculative science and fantasy, the desperate and hopeless feel of the city and its residents, and how the lines between good and evil were blurred.

Originally posted by Easter Lily
                        For some reason I didn't enjoy Neuromancer... I just couldn't connect with any of the characters. I suppose that was deliberate but it didn't work for me. I found Neal Stephenson's Snow Crash more accessible as a representative of the cyberpunk genre.
                        I felt that way as well - I though Stepenson was much easier and enjoyable to read than Gibson. Though he writes HUGE books.

Originally posted by Gatemage
                        the Neaderthal Paradox books.
                        You mean the trilogy by Robert Sawyer? Yeah, those were fun reads.

Comment

Originally posted by ToasterOnFire
                          You mean the trilogy by Robert Sawyer? Yeah, those were fun reads.
                          yes, I do, I thought so too.
                          Spoiler:
                          Before you met me I was a fairy princess
                          I caught frogs and called them prince
                          And made myself a queen
                          Before you knew me I traveled 'round the world
                          I slept in castles and fell in love
                          Because I was taught to dream

I found mayonnaise bottles and poked holes on top
                          To capture tinkerbell
                          They were just fireflies to the untrained eye
                          But I could always tell

I believe in fairytales and dreamers dreams like bed sheet sails
                          And I believe in Peter Pan and miracles
                          And anything I can to get by
                          And fireflies...

"What's the point of being grown-up if you can't act childish sometimes?" -- Doctor Who

Comment

Anything written by Jack McDevitt.
                            The Starwolf Trilogy by Edmond Hamilton.
                            Psychlone by Greg Bear
                            When Worlds Collide and After Worlds Collide by Philip Wylie and Edwin Balmer
                            Earth Abides by George R Stewart
                            Lucifers Hammer by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle
                            Destinys Road by Larry Niven

These are not true science fiction but they have scientific plot lines: Amazonia and Ice Hunt by James Rollins.
                            "Embress your life, find what it is that you love, and pursue it with all your soul. For if you do not, when you come to die, you will find that you have not lived."

A character from the novel "Chindi" by Jack McDevitt

Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.
                            'Eleanor Roosevelt'
                            Individuality is freedom lived.
                            'Janis Joplin'

Comment

Anything by Robin Hobb. The Liveship Traders is good but I love the 6 books in the 2 Farseer Trilogy's.

My ultimate favorite at the moment is Robert Jordan. If you like big, indepth books, he's for you. The series is curently at book 11/12 and they are big!.
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mousie
                                Anything by Robin Hobb. The Liveship Traders is good but I love the 6 books in the 2 Farseer Trilogy's.

My ultimate favorite at the moment is Robert Jordan. If you like big, indepth books, he's for you. The series is curently at book 11/12 and they are big!.
                                Oh I LOVE Robin Hobb! I have The Liveship Traders and five of the six Farseer books (and I've read the sixth). I wonder what she's up to next?

They're more fantasy instead of sci-fi, but oh are they good!

I am so blessed! Cherriey made this cool sig; scarimor made this great Dr. Lee smilie and Spudster made another neat one Dr. Lee RULES!

Myn's fabulous twilight bark smilie:

Comment

Working...
                                X