Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who is your favorite villain of all time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cold Fuzz View Post
    Ah, Melkor. He probably got some twisted pleasure out of how Fëanor branded him as Morgoth, the Dark Lord, the Great Enemy, and all these other epithets.

I know people who have watched the extended edition of Lord of the Rings numerous times but have never read any of the books in Tolkien's legendarium. Their eyes always widen in disbelief when I tell them about how and why Morgoth was so, SO, SO much worse than Sauron could ever be.
    damn, now I gotta read Samirillion.

Comment

Don't get discouraged by the first 50-100 pages. I know they're dense, but it turns into a (somewhat) more conventional narrative after that. And it's an even grander story than LOTR (IMO).
      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
        Don't get discouraged by the first 50-100 pages. I know they're dense, but it turns into a (somewhat) more conventional narrative after that. And it's an even grander story than LOTR (IMO).
        To see The Silmarillion turned into a miniseries would be a sight to behold: the complete and utter defeat of the Elves, Men, and Dwarves in the Battle of Unnumbered Tears and the misery afterward... and then followed up a century later by Morgoth's spectacular fall in the War of Wrath. Now that I think about it, I don't know if any movie or miniseries could do such stories justice.
        sigpic

Comment

I don't know if it ever could, to be honest. I wish it could. I've thought about it a great many times, but the only way it could ever really happen would be something like a chapter by chapter telling. But the budget required would be phenomenal. Prohibitively so
          "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

I don't know if it ever could, to be honest. I wish it could. I've thought about it a great many times, but the only way it could ever really happen would be something like a chapter by chapter telling. But the budget required would be phenomenal. Prohibitively so
            The more I think about it, the more I lean towards that direction of thinking too. I mean, to get the creation of the world, the Silmarils, Beren & Luthien, Turin... it's all too big. I think a 10 or 12 part HBO miniseries (like Band of Brothers or The Pacific) would be the only possible venue you could get all of that in. The VFX needed would be hideously complex and expensive.
            sigpic

Comment

The more I think about it, the more I lean towards that direction of thinking too. I mean, to get the creation of the world, the Silmarils, Beren & Luthien, Turin... it's all too big. I think a 10 or 12 part HBO miniseries (like Band of Brothers or The Pacific) would be the only possible venue you could get all of that in. The VFX needed would be hideously complex and expensive.

Though I'm not even sure a 12-part miniseries would be long enough to cover it all! Unless each part was 2-3 hours

Comment

Brilliant! If only someone would really have the vision to see it through. When I read it, I got the sense that, if The Silmarillion had been written 2000 years ago, it would have changed the landscape of mythology.

Comment

I would have to go with Scorpius from Farscape. Easy choice for me.
                  sigpic
                  MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                  "...phu...ah..."
                  "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                  Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by kisstian View Post
                    Brilliant! If only someone would really have the vision to see it through. When I read it, I got the sense that, if The Silmarillion had been written 2000 years ago, it would have changed the landscape of mythology.
                    You're not far off the mark. Tolkien always found it unfortunate that England had no real (origin) mythology of its own, and sought to correct that in writing his legendarium.

Comment

Though I'm not even sure a 12-part miniseries would be long enough to cover it all! Unless each part was 2-3 hours
                      I think that certain parts could be compressed, like when the Elves had relative peace in Beleriand between the Siege of Angband and the Battle of Sudden Flame. The details could be done by voiceover but if it's glossed over too quickly, some important plot details would get lost. There are certain parts that need to be heavily focused on though, even if there's not too much action: like the Noldor's unrest in Valinor because of Morgoth's manipulations, or the whole subplot with Maeglin in Gondolin.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man View Post
                        I would have to go with Scorpius from Farscape. Easy choice for me.
                        me too.
                        sigpic

Comment

Their eyes always widen in disbelief when I tell them about how and why Morgoth was so, SO, SO much worse than Sauron could ever be.
                          Sauron is still worse in my opinion, Melkor was no doubt far more powerful and perhaps more evil but Sauron was insidious and coniving which I think in the long run is far more dangerous.

Melkor would torture and kill his enemies, Sauron would corrupt them and force them to serve - I suppose it depends what you see as being the worse of the two.

Comment

Originally posted by Sami_ View Post
                            Sauron is still worse in my opinion, Melkor was no doubt far more powerful and perhaps more evil but Sauron was insidious and coniving which I think in the long run is far more dangerous.

Melkor would torture and kill his enemies, Sauron would corrupt them and force them to serve - I suppose it depends what you see as being the worse of the two.
                            Morgoth was able to sow enough discontent with Fëanor and almost all the Noldor to convince them to turn against the Valar in their own realm. He also effectively deceived Manwë, Nienna, and some of the other Valar into thinking he was "cured" of his evil. Deceiving men into taking fallen rings is one thing. Convincing the Elves and tricking the Valar in their own realm are feats of deceit and connivance Sauron would never have been able to pull off. There's also the fact that he was the one who corrupted Sauron and many of the Ainur to fall into evil in the first place. Morgoth was far, far worse.
                            sigpic

Comment

Azathoth. Everything else is complete fail in comparison IMO.

Last edited by Acolyte Of Bli'l'ab; 21 December 2010, 08:45 PM.
                              Go buy my music and give a starving artist some support. It's dirt-cheap, dammit.
                              Ion Plasma Incineration (Hard and heavy electro-industrial music in the vein of late 90's classics, updated for the 21st century!)

Current project : Working on Tolathians Outpost Cyclopean, the world's first pure non-humanoid extra-dimensional sci-fi show! 100% no humans !

Comment

Morgoth was able to sow enough discontent with Fëanor and almost all the Noldor to convince them to turn against the Valar in their own realm. He also effectively deceived Manwë, Nienna, and some of the other Valar into thinking he was "cured" of his evil. Deceiving men into taking fallen rings is one thing. Convincing the Elves and tricking the Valar in their own realm are feats of deceit and connivance Sauron would never have been able to pull off. There's also the fact that he was the one who corrupted Sauron and many of the Ainur to fall into evil in the first place. Morgoth was far, far worse.
                                Sauron at his peak was more powerful than Morgoth, by the time Melkor was known as Morgoth he had already spent most of his power corrupting Arda.

Melkor > Sauron > Morgoth - at their peak.

Comment

Working...
                                X