Harry Potter Discussion and Appreciation Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Spectrum
    If I had to choose between the two, I would definitely pick the books just because they are way more detailed than the movies. For the most part, I think the movies have done the books justice (as well as can be done with such long books!). I wasn't happy with Prisoner of Azkaban the movie. It left out far too many details from the book. I agree with Lightsabre that the movies compliment the books. To really appreciate and understand the movies you need to have read the books first. I have a friend who saw the movies first and when she read the books she was amazed at how much the movies left out. Needless to say, she is now a much bigger fan of the books!
    ive always liked the books best, but i do like the movies. i agree with you about prisoner of azkaban book and film but also for me when i read the book goblet of fire it was sad and emotional and it kinda wasnt the same for me in the movie. i get into the book more than the movie, the book for me explains the feelings and the scenes so well that it gets your emotions going

sig by starlover1990

Comment

I agree with everyone about the books. I enjoy reading the books far more than the movies. Now, don't get me wrong...I enjoy the movies...but so much is left out of the movies that it isn't even funny! For example...the Goblet of Fire just glosses over the events of the first 9 or 10 chapters of book 4!
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 4prettierships
        I agree with spectrum! If you only see the movies without reading the books there are so many small details that you would have missed!! I realize that movies can't be 5 hours long to cover everything in a 700/800 page book, so I think that the movies are the best they could have possibly been! I love both the books and the movies!!

Plus, when they come out in opposite years of each other it gives you something do bide your time until the next one comes out!!
        Actually.....that probably won't be the case next time. Order of the Pheonix film comes out July 2007- about a week before the hypothesized date of the book seven release. Chances are very good that the book would come out on July 31, 2007 (Harry's birthday, J.K.R.'s birthday, two years since HBP, and it's a Saturday- all fits). So chances are it could be one hec of a Potter week next year.

Comment

Originally posted by Trek_Girl42
          Actually.....that probably won't be the case next time. Order of the Pheonix film comes out July 2007- about a week before the hypothesized date of the book seven release. Chances are very good that the book would come out on July 31, 2007 (Harry's birthday, J.K.R.'s birthday, two years since HBP, and it's a Saturday- all fits). So chances are it could be one hec of a Potter week next year.
          Actually you're right! It does all fit and would make for an excellent Potty year! :-) I wish they'd show Peeves! I wanna hear him shreaking, "Potty loves Luny! Potty love Luny!" LOL ;-) You'll only get that if you've read the books!
          sigpic

Comment

The books are ten billion times better- no matter how good the films are they just can't compare to the experience of reading the books.
            Agreed. The movies are like "the good parts" version. They're good in their own right, but half the fun of reading the novels is to think of an actor/actress to play a specific part that's not included in the movie versions.
            sigpic
            Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
            To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
            And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Originally posted by BruTak
              Agreed. The movies are like "the good parts" version. They're good in their own right, but half the fun of reading the novels is to think of an actor/actress to play a specific part that's not included in the movie versions.
              Oh I agree! When I read the novels now, I can see the actors and actresses playing the parts of the novel...even the ones that don't make it to the movies.

I wish they'd release extended versions of the movies on DVD where the parts that were left on the cutting room floor are integrated back in. I always hate the fact that the deleted scenes are always off by themselves and not integrated in the movie.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by LtColCarter
                Oh I agree! When I read the novels now, I can see the actors and actresses playing the parts of the novel...even the ones that don't make it to the movies.

I wish they'd release extended versions of the movies on DVD where the parts that were left on the cutting room floor are integrated back in. I always hate the fact that the deleted scenes are always off by themselves and not integrated in the movie.
                thats a great idea

sig by starlover1990

Comment

I always thought a book release on Harry's b-day would be so perfect! That would be so cool if it all fits like that. What a great way to end the series on the day it all began with Harry being born. What a great week that will be!
                  Sig by Cazzblade

Comment

Originally posted by Spectrum
                    I always thought a book release on Harry's b-day would be so perfect! That would be so cool if it all fits like that. What a great way to end the series on the day it all began with Harry being born. What a great week that will be!
                    It just so happens that that day is a Saturday (yes, I checked ), 7th day of the week, of the 7th month, of 2007=seventh book which is kind of cool as well.

Or is that over-anylizing? Because Harry Potter fans never do that.....

Comment

Or is that over-anylizing? Because Harry Potter fans never do that.....
                      never at all...
                      Sig by Cazzblade

Comment

Originally posted by LtColCarter

Peeves the Polergiest for example - I seem to recall Rik Mayall played the part in the first film, but his scenes got cut.
                        sigpic
                        Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
                        To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
                        And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Originally posted by BruTak
                          Peeves the Polergiest for example - I seem to recall Rik Mayall played the part in the first film, but his scenes got cut.
                          Exactly! But they need to get integrated into the movie and not just in a special section of the DVD separate from the film.
                          sigpic

Comment

hey all, i have an awsome HP role play...

http://hogwatsalways.proboards106.com/index.cgi?

and

http://hogwartsnation.proboards76.com/index.cgi
                            sigpic

Comment

I like the idea of them releasing extended dvds. I bet there are a few good scenes that dont make it in to the movie

sig by starlover1990

Comment

Originally posted by scifi_girl
                                I like the idea of them releasing extended dvds. I bet there are a few good scenes that dont make it in to the movie
                                I agree!
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X