No announcement yet.

Big Finish Audio Dramas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm in the business of getting the Dalek Empire series. Not too keen on the seasons themselves, I'm just after the four Dalek stories.
    "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

Finished my revisit of "Minuet in Hell" a couple of days ago.

Good lord... I know you guys like to grief us North Americans over botching UK accents (and I won't say it's without cause), but it really is a two-way street. The attempts of the writers and VAs to sound American/southern in Minuet was just soul-crushingly awful. And I'm not even from the US

On another note entirely, I made a pleasant discovery the other day (which you all may well have known before, but I didn't ). I was tooling around on the DW Wikia, found myself on the article for The Fires of Pompeii, and saw a familiar name in the credits: Tracey Childs! Yes, Big Finish's own Elizabeth Klein appeared on nuWho, and as the wife of Caecilius no less--Peter Capaldi's character! A Seventh Doctor companion actor in a Tenth Doctor story, alongside the man who would later play the Twelfth Doctor. Strange, small world...
      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

I tried listening to The Genocide Machine, but even McCoy and Alfred can't save it from being one of the most tedious Who stories ever.
        I consider myself a patient guy and have gone through countless recons no sweat. But I'm seriously considering just ditching this story and moving onto the next Dalek Empire one.
        Any thoughts?
        "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

Originally posted by rushy View Post
          I tried listening to The Genocide Machine, but even McCoy and Alfred can't save it from being one of the most tedious Who stories ever.
          I consider myself a patient guy and have gone through countless recons no sweat. But I'm seriously considering just ditching this story and moving onto the next Dalek Empire one.
          Any thoughts?
          Apart from the Apocalypse Element, I really didn't like the Doctor Who Dalek Empire stories, the spin off range is vastly superior.

Digi - yeah, Minuet in Hell is awful. Even the Brig couldn't save it for me.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Funnily enough, I prefered The Genocide Machine to The Apocalypse Element. But there again I'm probably one of the few people who find Libraries exciting.

I've just been listening to Storm Warning (8th & Charley Pollard), which I rather enjoyed but found the ending to be a little strange, and The Night of the Stormcrow (4th & Leela) which was excellent. Very tense and quite scary.

I haven't got to Minuet in Hell yet but will very shortly I think. Next I'm trying Winter for the Adept.

Comment

Originally posted by Blencathra View Post
              I've just been listening to Storm Warning (8th & Charley Pollard), which I rather enjoyed but found the ending to be a little strange,
              It's supposed to be...it matters later

Originally posted by Blencathra View Post
              I haven't got to Minuet in Hell yet but will very shortly I think.
              Urg, good luck. You might've just seen me talking about this up above -- atrocious. I didn't mind it too too much the first time around, but the second time it was nigh-on-unbearable.

Please don't get discouraged!

I was listening to the next story just this morning, Invaders from Mars. And it is actually a really fun one
              "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

What's up with Minuet In Hell?

Comment

Bad accents.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

That's it?

Comment

Originally posted by rushy View Post
                      That's it?
                      Very bad accents.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

And don't forget the horribly inaccurate slang and diction!

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                          It's supposed to be...it matters later
                          I'll remember that.

Urg, good luck. You might've just seen me talking about this up above -- atrocious. I didn't mind it too too much the first time around, but the second time it was nigh-on-unbearable.

Please don't get discouraged!

I was listening to the next story just this morning, Invaders from Mars. And it is actually a really fun one
                          I have a few more to listen to before I get to Minuet. Don't worry, I'm really enjoying most of the audio's I've listen to so far.

However, that can't be said of Winter for the Adept. It's awful. It's the 5th Doctor & Nyssa in this one, but both are so out of character it's nearly unlistenable (Is that a word? ) In this the fifth Doctor is sarcastic & nasty and Nyssa constantly whinges and nags at him. It sounds more like it had been written for the 6th Doctor & Peri. What should have been a tense and frightening situation (snow bound in an empty school with a poltergeist on the loose) simply isn't. Add to that more bad accents (French & Scots), contrived descriptive writing and some peculiar "lift muzak" makes for a really dreadful listening experience. Avoid this one.

Comment

Doctor Who: Tom Baker at Big Finish Day 5 - Special Offer!

http://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/tom-...-special-offer

To mark Tom Baker's appearance at this weekend's Big Finish Day, we're announcing a weekend-long special offer on some of the Big Finish Doctor Who: The Fourth Doctor Range!

This month is a good month for fans of Tom Baker and his classic portrayal of the Fourth Doctor in Doctor Who. Not only have we just released the interview audiobook retrospective Tom Baker @ 80, not only is Tom our guest at this weekend's Big Finish Day 5, but from Friday morning to Monday morning (UK time) we're putting all of the first two series of Doctor Who: The Fourth Doctor Adventures at a special offer price.

All six of the first series (featuring Louise Jameson as Leela, and including such tales as Energy of the Daleks and The Oseidon Adventure), and all seven of the second series (featuring Mary Tamm as Romana and including such stories as The Sands of Life and The Dalek Contract), are each available at £6.29 each for Download, and £7.69 for CD.

http://www.bigfinish.com/ranges/rele...tor-adventures

Make your weekend a Fourth Doctor weekend!

Comment

I'll admit... I've been struggling a little lately. A combination of having less time (I've been handing over to my replacement for what I've been doing for the past 4 months) and also the nature of the current audios I've been on.

I'm working through The Lost Stories atm, and I have to say, I have not enjoyed the 1st and 2nd Doctor boxsets. The narration technique just doesn't work for me. Too much like an audio book, and not enough like an audio drama for me. I *really* struggled. It was hindered by the fact that I felt the plots were all quite weak. The 1st Doctor focused on a planet where people mate for life, and a historical adventure (no aliens etc) with Alexander the Great. The 2nd Doctor focused on a world where women had taken over and relegated men to second class citizens. It was all just *dull*. The one redeeming feature was 'Daleks: The Destroyers' in the 2nd Doctor boxset - the unfilmed pilot of the 1960s Dalek Spin Off. This was interesting as it is very reminiscent of the Dalek Empire Saga, but still could have benefited from less narration. I must admit, it has left me *wanting* a Dalek spin off. Set at the height of the Dalek Wars, mankind vs The Daleks. That would be quite an excellent series, seeing the Daleks at the height of their power (much as in seen in Into the Dalek)....

Just started on the 7th Doctor Lost Stories now though, so much more comfortable with good old audio DRAMAS.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

I know just what you mean... I was listening to Seasons of Fear (I think?) just the other day, and it kept being broken up by the Doctor narrating certain bits; like his internal monologue as he was observing things. It's very, very jarring. I'm glad they didn't keep doing it.

Comment

Working...
                                X