Big Finish Audio Dramas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Flyboy View Post
    Maybe, with luck, Big Finish will secure a new contract and we'll get John Hurt dramas as well!
    Oh man, can you imagine? I have no idea how realistic a prospect that is, but that would be so fantastic
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

As cool as that would be, I highly doubt it. Their contract with the BBC specifically forbids them from directly using anything from New Who and by every definition of the word, Hurt is a New Who Doctor. The contract change would be pretty radical.

They *might* be able to bend the rules enough for Derek Jacobi, though as he appeared in Shalka. A Master story with Jacobi would be perfect.
      "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

Originally posted by rushy View Post
        As cool as that would be, I highly doubt it. Their contract with the BBC specifically forbids them from directly using anything from New Who and by every definition of the word, Hurt is a New Who Doctor. The contract change would be pretty radical.

They *might* be able to bend the rules enough for Derek Jacobi, though as he appeared in Shalka. A Master story with Jacobi would be perfect.
        Which is why I said 'secure a new contract'. Contracts expire, get renegotiated, and have new additions to it. Big Finish have stated in the past that they'd love to get a contract that would enable them to delve into New Who. Even if the BBC didn't budge on some elements of New Who, they may permit some aspects.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

If they haven't given Big Finish anything beyond Eighth, it's far too optimistic to think they'll give now. And if they will, they might as well give them all there is.
          And speaking of which, why exactly haven't they?
          "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

Originally posted by rushy View Post
            If they haven't given Big Finish anything beyond Eighth, it's far too optimistic to think they'll give now. And if they will, they might as well give them all there is.
            And speaking of which, why exactly haven't they?
            It's all a matter of business. For one, there's a lot more New Who mythos now. It would be very easy for a new contract to be drawn up that permits BF to use up until and including Eleven, but not beyond - so as not to interfere with the current run. When New Who came out, it was agreed to keep it distinctly separate. Now, there's far more of a blur, the BBC may decide it would be profitable to permit Big Finish to market some New Who audios.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Flyboy View Post
              It's all a matter of business. For one, there's a lot more New Who mythos now. It would be very easy for a new contract to be drawn up that permits BF to use up until and including Eleven, but not beyond - so as not to interfere with the current run. When New Who came out, it was agreed to keep it distinctly separate. Now, there's far more of a blur, the BBC may decide it would be profitable to permit Big Finish to market some New Who audios.
              I'd love to see a Weeping Angel audio...

Comment

When it comes to New Who I could see the BBC being more inclined to let Big Finigh have the War Doctor than the 9th, 10th, 11th and their companions/foes/allies. The War Doctor seems to sit in the middle. I wonder though, as John Hurt is so busy and popular, would he have time to do any audio recording?

I just got back from holidays and managed to listened to absolutely no Big Finish at all Just didn't have time. Never mind.

Comment

Oh boy! These look so good!!!

The fourth Doctor, Leela, K9 and Jamie McCrimmon in an audio together. Oh yes!

Doctor Who: The Fourth Doctor Fights Cybermen Again!

http://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/doct...cybermen-again

Tom Baker will battle the Cybermen in a new audio story from Big Finish in 2015. The Fourth Doctor previously had only one encounter with his arch-enemies on television in 1975’s Revenge of the Cybermen.

The new story will also be the first meeting of Leela (Louise Jameson) and K9 (John Leeson) with the implacable silver giants.

The stage will be set in the June release The Fate of Krelos, in which the TARDIS lands on an alien world facing its most dangerous time. Michael Cochrane (Black Orchid/Ghost Light) guest stars as Geralk, while Veronica Roberts (Tenko) is Relly.

The Doctor’s past will then catch up with him in Return to Telos, which features the Cybermen’s adopted home world, and includes the return of Frazer Hines as Jamie, while Bernard Holley reprises his role as Peter Hayden from Tomb of the Cybermen.

“I don’t want to give away too many secrets,” says writer and director Nicholas Briggs, “but I can reveal it features the Tomb-era Cybermen, with those wonderful monotone voices. They presented an interesting challenge – I got quite a headache using the electronic larynx. And Peter Hayden is indeed part of the story, even though he died suddenly at the end of Tomb’s first episode! How can that possibly work? You’ll have to wait and see…

“And we have Frazer back as Jamie, in a Fourth Doctor story… the black and white and colour eras of Doctor Who collide on audio in one exciting story.”

The Fate of Krelos and Return to Telos round off the fourth season of The Fourth Doctor Adventures. A fifth season starts in 2016, and sees the return of Lalla Ward as Romana.

Season Four can be purchased as a discounted bundle, which includes the eagerly awaited Doctor Who: Philip Hinchcliffe Presents.

Comment

I don't know who all has listened to The Silver Turk, but I was revisiting it yesterday and the day before....

Oh man I'd forgotten, "this is vegetable matter" -- I died laughing at this while I was driving home yesterday
                    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

"Yooooouuuu belooooong to uuuuuuuussss. Yoooouuu shall beee like uuuuusss."

Comment

I see Nicholas Briggs has just tweeted that Big Finish are parting company with their cover artist Damien May.

Nicholas Briggs (@BriggsNicholas)

Because of unacceptable, cruel and tasteless comments made by Damien May, @bigfinish is parting company with him.
                        It seems that Mr May has been making offensive remarks on twitter about "Superfan" Ian Levine, who has been ill.

I guess we can expect a difference in the way the CD covers look. Shame this guy has been behaving like a complete d*ck, as I do like his cover art.

Edit - BF have now issued a statement.

Inappropriate Comments

http://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/inappropriate-comments

It has come to our attention that freelance artist Damien May has made offensive, cruel and tasteless comments on twitter.

We won't dignify these comments by quoting or indeed describing them further. All of us at Big Finish are shocked and sickened by these comments. Damien May has been contacted and has expressed contrite apologies and regret, but has offered to 'walk away' from Big Finish. We consider it entirely appropriate that we accept this offer. He will no longer be representing Big Finish at conventions and we will not be commissioning any further artwork from him.

-------

Stupid, stupid man. Throwing away the job of a lifetime, just so he can be b*tchy & get cheap digs at a sick man. Madness.
                        Last edited by Blencathra; 29 August 2014, 05:41 AM.

Comment

I'm guessing the offending comments were deleted from his twitter, because I can't find them. Or rather, there's a couple, but they seem disjointed and don't make a ton of sense.

Comment

On a positive note;

Just finished the Fifth Doctor Boxset.

I was actually very dubious at first... I cannot lie, Fifth and Sixth are often my least favourite Big Finish offerings. It seems common (though not always the case) that they get lumbered with fairly mundane, shall we say, 'routine' Doctor Who stories. They lack the classic charm of the actual episodes because, well, they're not classic. Where as in contrast, Four gets some wonderful stories that recaptures the 70s perfectly with perfect pacing and wonderful humour, Seven gets some devilishly clever and wonderful stories, and Eight - well - he's EIGHT!

Nevertheless, The Fifth Doctor Boxset - despite bringing back the irksome Adric - delivers. Possibly because it's the first 5th Doctor story to appear outside of the Main Range/Bonus Releases, it contains two very clever, perfectly paced, and well thought out stories.

Of the two, 'Iterations of I' is by far the superior, but I would highly recommend the boxse to anyone. Perfect 80s Who, Perfect modern story telling.

At the moment it's on discount - but not for much longer!

http://www.bigfinish.com/releases/v/...r-box-set-1014

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

I used to have some of the Bernice Summerfield ones, if they count?
                              sigpic

Comment

Hello there!

Absolutely, why not?

Comment

Working...
                                X