Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd be very happy if Ben Daniels got the role.

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,
    K-9, CLASS and much more...

Comment

Please, no David Hewlett. For the love of god.
      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by McBecklover View Post
        I think it should be DAVID HEWLETT!!

http://i1050.photobucket.com/albums/...t/e9c9d31a.jpg

Give the Doctor a snarky, sarcastic "McKay" persona That would be brilliant!
        And it would be a change from all that flirting... not that I mind that much

Also he is a big Doctor Who fan himself & is British by blood. He grew up in Canada, but he was born in England Red Hill Surrey to be exact
        go, david!!
        sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MasySyma View Post
          This is part of my issue as well. If the Doctor routinely changed genders like he does hair, no problem would exist, but since he can't even get being ginger right, this level of change warrants careful thought.

Also, before the Doctor should be a woman, the new series needs to have a platonic male companion not there to keep his girlfriend company. The men of New Who are as problematically depicted as the women. Mickey wanted to win back Rose; Jack had a crush on 9. Rory traveled to keep tabs on Amy at first. While the Doctor seems to attract lots of impossible, convoluted, insert adjective of choice, young women to himself and the Tardis in order to save the universe, he has not found a man worth traveling with by himself for more than a handful of episodes for at least seven years.

I don't want the Doctor romancing his companions, so I don't care about their gender or orientation. Or his for that matter, but I also see a female Doctor as a potential lightning rod for constant debates reflecting the world's gender issues. If she gets as much as action as 10 and 11 have, some critics will call her a slut. If she is like 9, critics will question whether or not she is frigid. It is difficult enough to find a show capable of consistently creating a strong, independent female character who does not trade on but can own her sexuality. Who has never been that show. It won't start now.

A poorly written female Doctor could do more to increase gender stereotyping than the fun of seeing her would be worth.
          I think it works both ways, the women are there to gravitate around the men too. It's heavily orientated around relationships, husbands and wives, parents and children - Martha and Donna were exceptions and I think that's why Donna, at least, stands out to me. I agree with cosmichobo, Donna was one of the best companions, the constant bickering and almost sibling like rivalry between them brought a new feeling to the show and injected it with life. Amy may have been strong but right from the start she was obsessed with the doctor and ran away with him - the Rose/Mickey/Doctor love triange all over again but with the opposite outcome. River too was always emotionally entwined with the doctor and even though she was strong and has a distinctive role in her own right, everything is about her relationship with the doctor and who knows what about the other.

I'm glad Clara was reserved and didn't hop into the magic box without questioning it (so far everyone seems to trust him implicitly without even pausing to think, is this guy a psychopath trying to kill me? [Seriously, I know its Dr Who, but gleefully running off into a police call box with a strange man is not a good example to set.] Clara might be colder than other companions, and less starry eyed over space and time travel, but with the right casting and writing there could be a great starting point for another interesting platonic relationship.

Then again she hopped into the timeline without a second thought so she's veering off into the hero worship line as well - Donna was in no way a fan girl, she actively berated him and I loved that about her - 'space boy'.
          Don't get it right, get it written - Unknown, they haven't decided who said it first
          If you want something in life, you have to work for it

Turn off lights not in use, buy local produce where possible, recycle all you can. Help save YOUR planet.

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
            This. An ETERNAL amount of "This". Let's face it though and be realistic...it is, thankfully, NEVER EVER going to happen.

And Doctor Who is safe from him.

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,

Comment

Originally posted by Ian-S View Post
              Oh it's Redhill btw, not Red Hill, and I'm going to dig out my old school yearbooks, I could have gone to school with the guy for all I know
              Which reminds me, I was approximately at college with Richard Coyle, who I think is that little bit older but could really do the "a little bit bonkers" Time Lord
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                Would Paul McGillion be better? He's Scottish- Canadian.
                sigpic
                Save a Man-of-War, ride a Commodore.

Comment

Originally posted by Morgania View Post
                  No. Both are equally bad as potential Doctors. I enjoy Michael Shank's work, but I don't want to see him as the Doctor. I hope no one (leads) from SG-1, SGU, and especially SGA could ever be cast as the Doctor.
                  "Trust me. I'm a psychopath." Jekyll

"And I thought the end of the world couldn't get any worse" Ianto-Torchwood

Comment

Originally posted by Morgania View Post
                    The thing is that the BBC won't be casting their nets too far from home when it comes to casting the new Doctor. Any money the BBC pay the new actor they'll want to make sure they keep it within the British economy and not a foreign one and that means someone who lives and works in the UK.

The plus side of this is that it means that Hewlett has a snowballs chance in hell of getting cast and for that I am incredibly grateful.

Comment

Amanda Tapping is winning the poll on this (Canadian) site. (Scroll down a bit.)
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Alan View Post

The plus side of this is that it means that Hewlett has a snowballs chance in hell of getting cast and for that I am incredibly grateful.
                        You really don't like Hewlett do you? haha
                        I am Queen McBeck of McTennantLand,
                        traveling in the TARDIS with King Rodney & my fine Sir Carson of Atlantis... ALONSY!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by min min light View Post
                          Amanda Tapping is winning the poll on this (Canadian) site. (Scroll down a bit.)
                          Nice of them try...but like Hewlett and Paul before her it is not going to happen. It doesn't matter one iota if she was born in the UK or not, she lives in Canada. The BBC will only be employing someone within the UK. Amanda may one day get a guest starring role like Ben Browder did last year but that is it.

Comment

She said on her Twitter that she'd be happy to be involved in any capacity whatsoever so, maybe that'll happen - some kind of a guest role.

(I'm not lobbying for her as Doctor Who personally - I don't think it should be someone who's already famous for a different sci-fi role. I think they ought to be fairly new/low-profile. Have as little baggage as possible to overcome.)
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by McBecklover View Post
                              You really don't like Hewlett do you? haha
                              I really love Doctor Who.

Originally posted by min min light View Post
                              She said on her Twitter that she'd be happy to be involved in any capacity whatsoever so, maybe that'll happen - some kind of a guest role.

(I'm not lobbying for her as Doctor Who personally - I don't think it should be someone who's already famous for a different sci-fi role. I think they ought to be fairly new/low-profile. Have as little baggage as possible to overcome.)
                              I saw that tweet by Amanda.

(I know your not and I agree with what you say. It should not be played by someone that is well known from a leading role in any sci-fi show.)

Comment

Originally posted by Quizziard View Post
                                Which reminds me, I was approximately at college with Richard Coyle, who I think is that little bit older but could really do the "a little bit bonkers" Time Lord
                                Seems I'm not alone in recalling Richard's work. I'm sure there are lists on almost every Doctor Who-, sci-fi- and TV-related website. Here's another one... http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2013-...-the-time-lord

Comment

Working...
                                X