This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good choices everyone.

Yes i feel Colin Morgan would do a great job as he played Merlin in Merlin.
    A very good show it was.

There are also rumours that Sean Pertwee son of jon the 3rd dr has also been considered.

Comment

Originally posted by Crazedwraith View Post
      It's a British show. Paid for by the license fee. The BBC should have a commitment to keep that money in the British economy and give those opportunities to British people and talent. That's what it's there for. IMO.
      Ok now I'm curious - exactly how much is this licensing fee?

Originally posted by MasySyma View Post
      I also see a female Doctor as a potential lightning rod for constant debates reflecting the world's gender issues.
      Not only that, but being a woman will be problematic when he travels back in time to eras where women didn't run around freely, or wear pants, or have the kind of authority necessary to compel people to do things. A female Time Lord in 1850 is still a female in 1850. The same problem would crop up with various races.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by min min light View Post
        Ok now I'm curious - exactly how much is this licensing fee?
        A television licence now is £145.50 a year ($221.28). This funds the BBC (not counting the money they make from merchandise and other sources) and ensures we get an advert free experience to boot.
        And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
        sigpic
        Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

Ok...I'm just coming into this thread today for the first time. Forgive me if I'm not up to speed on all the Doctor debates and if my ideas have already been mentioned.

I like Richard Armitage and Matthew Macfadyn as possible Doctors. Also, Anthony Stewart Head might be FABULOUS but might also be too well known for Buffy.

As for the Doctor becoming a woman, I'm just not sure. I, being a woman, am all for supporting the ladies in tv and film, but it just might mess with the dynamic and/or energy of the show. Women bring a totally different bag of tricks to a role...just not sure that's all.
          sigpic Gets better with age!

Conventions:
          Creation Vancouver SG Con 2009 - 2010 - 2011 - 2012
          GateCon Vancouver 2011
          Creation Chicago SG Con 2013 - 2014

Comment

Originally posted by Sealurk View Post
            A television licence now is £145.50 a year ($221.28). This funds the BBC (not counting the money they make from merchandise and other sources) and ensures we get an advert free experience to boot.
            Thanks Sealurk! I'm paying way more than that a year for the cable package that includes BBC America (I can't choose channels a la carte) but then I do get the other channels too, and I have no idea now much BBCA gets out of it. And of course, it's not ad-free.

But I'd gladly pay that much a year to be able to get all the U.K. shows as they aired, not a year later. Too bad that's not an option! More money for them, more Who for me - it's win-win.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Alan View Post
              You forgot the words: In My Humble Opinion.
              I'm the most humble, meek and mild person on the planet IRL... Why the hell would I want to continue that wimpy persona online?
              back on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@The-Cosmic-Hobo
              "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" • "Bigger on the Inside?" • "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!"
              "The War Games - In 10 Minutes" • "Announcement of Jon Pertwee's death" •
              and lots more!

Comment

What's amazing about the role of the Doctor is that it started out with William Hartnell playing it as basically an anti-hero, with bickering and fighting in the TARDIS, a battle of wills between One and Chesterton. And then the showrunners seemed to move away from that. Then many years later you get Six who attempts to recapture the original spirit by being borderline unlikable, strong-willed, and bickering with Peri.

Then I guess the higher ups decide such a depiction just won't work with modern audiences anymore, so they fire him and we get a guy playing spoons. And it basically continues on in the new series with 9, 10, and 11 avoiding the original portrayal.

What's so INCREDIBLY ironic about it all is that you get Ten, who plays the role as a happy Mr. Popular, life-of-the-party type, and then out of NOWHERE you get Hugh Laurie who basically adopts Hartnell's portrayal of the Doctor and applies it to a major American TV series in "House" and has a super smash hit that DESTROYS every assumption people had about anti-hero characters.

Laurie just schooled Tennant so badly, just completely overshadowed him. Tennant was helpless as they pretty much rose to popularity at about the same time. It felt like House was more Doctor Who than the 2005 series of Doctor Who was.

I can only hope the showrunners have the courage to attempt another anti-hero portrayal of the Doctor in the 12th incarnation. Its probably way too much to ask Laurie to take the role. But I hope they try it with someone at least.

Comment

Originally posted by min min light View Post
                  Not only that, but being a woman will be problematic when he travels back in time to eras where women didn't run around freely, or wear pants, or have the kind of authority necessary to compel people to do things. A female Time Lord in 1850 is still a female in 1850. The same problem would crop up with various races.
                  Strictly speaking, of course, there's no reason why there aren't planets out there with the opposite issue, which with the current set-up would allow for an episode where a female companion gets to be in charge. So long as it's better written/made than SG-1's "Emancipation".

Comment

Originally posted by Quizziard View Post
                    Strictly speaking, of course, there's no reason why there aren't planets out there with the opposite issue, which with the current set-up would allow for an episode where a female companion gets to be in charge. So long as it's better written/made than SG-1's "Emancipation".
                    But they'd need to do this a lot, not just as a one-off, since Who does love to travel around in Earth history. And while the writers can decide what gender issues fictional planets will have, they do not have that luxury with our own past. The fact is, white men had it easier than any other race or gender for most of our planet's history. Just because that sucks doesn't make it any less true.
                    sigpic

Comment

If Moffat and company wanted to go for a very different pathos than Matt Smith for the Twelfth Doctor, I think they should go with David Thewlis. I think he would make a powerful presence on the screen, especially with his imposing height. Additionally, he can run the gamut in terms of emotion and delivery.

Along the same direction, but a bit younger, would be Andrew Gower, who showed off his acting skills in Being Human. He really played the dark but sympathetic angle very well, in my opinion.

Last edited by Cold Fuzz; 02 June 2013, 11:45 PM.
                      sigpic

Comment

Those are both very good choices Cold Fuzz. Andrew Gower certainly impressed in Being Human and I've always liked David Thewlis.

I was pondering on who I would pick if I was to choose a woman, and I went for

Lara Pulver (32), though to be honest I'd rather got her earmarked in my head as a regenerated Romana.

or Keeley Hawes (37)

I also was thinking about people who I definitely would not like to see as the Doctor, and it's a very short list as I don't really have strong objections to anyone. But I don't think David Tennant should come back (as I've seen a few fans suggest elsewhere), nor would I choose Philip Glenister, who is one of my absolutely favourite actors but who will be Forever Gene in my head.
                        Last edited by Blencathra; 03 June 2013, 03:33 AM.

Comment

I think it should be DAVID HEWLETT!!

Give the Doctor a snarky, sarcastic "McKay" persona That would be brilliant!
                          And it would be a change from all that flirting... not that I mind that much

Also he is a big Doctor Who fan himself & is British by blood. He grew up in Canada, but he was born in England Red Hill Surrey to be exact
                          I am Queen McBeck of McTennantLand,
                          traveling in the TARDIS with King Rodney & my fine Sir Carson of Atlantis... ALONSY!

sigpic

Comment

http://doctorwhotv.co.uk/who-will-be...ctor-50213.htm
                            Early betting favourites.
                            Wouldnt argue with Lara Pulver though...

Comment

I want Chiwetel Ejiofor to be The Doctor..

Comment

Originally posted by McBecklover View Post
                                Also he is a big Doctor Who fan himself & is British by blood. He grew up in Canada, but he was born in England Red Hill Surrey to be exact
                                That would be awesome actually Doctor Who? Doctor McKay?

Oh it's Redhill btw, not Red Hill, and I'm going to dig out my old school yearbooks, I could have gone to school with the guy for all I know, that's just spooky, I've always liked the guy in whatever roles he's played, but never knew until now we were born in the same town around the same time (same hospital probably, it only had one back then!).

Mind you, at least I can say his name now instead of I went to school with David Williams, god that guy was a pratt.

Comment

Working...
                                X