Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pocus View Post
    Just finished watching The Doctor's Daughter

**sobz** DT does such great emotional whump!
    Just coming back to this with some more detailed thoughts:

Spoiler:
    One scene I particularly loved in this episode was where Jenny asked the Doctor about the Time War. Incredible acting from DT, as ever - his mood, his expression.. was unlike anything we've ever seen from DT's Doctor before. Kind of quiet and melancholy and serious, in a way that we pretty much never see him. Kind of... withdrawn and weary.

Contrasted with Jenny's exuberant character his response to her questions was heartbreaking... the way, whe she asked "So there was a war, like this one?" he just looked at her and sort of smiled, almost a sad laugh, and his reaction was sooo muted but his expression, and the way he shook his head and quietly said, "Bigger" just said, "You have no idea. This is nothing. You cannot comprehend the scale of the Time War."

And when she asked him if he fought in the war and killed, his soooo quiet, "Yes" was just soooo heartbreaking. Seeing him pushed to actually talk seriously about the Time War, knowing what that experience has done to him, was so deliciously angsty!
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Alipeeps View Post
      Just coming back to this with some more detailed thoughts:

Spoiler:
      One scene I particularly loved in this episode was where Jenny asked the Doctor about the Time War. Incredible acting from DT, as ever - his mood, his expression.. was unlike anything we've ever seen from DT's Doctor before. Kind of quiet and melancholy and serious, in a way that we pretty much never see him. Kind of... withdrawn and weary.

Contrasted with Jenny's exuberant character his response to her questions was heartbreaking... the way, whe she asked "So there was a war, like this one?" he just looked at her and sort of smiled, almost a sad laugh, and his reaction was sooo muted but his expression, and the way he shook his head and quietly said, "Bigger" just said, "You have no idea. This is nothing. You cannot comprehend the scale of the Time War."

And when she asked him if he fought in the war and killed, his soooo quiet, "Yes" was just soooo heartbreaking. Seeing him pushed to actually talk seriously about the Time War, knowing what that experience has done to him, was so deliciously angsty!
      I thought he did a fabulous job throughout the Doctor's Daughter
      Spoiler:
      I could almost sense his fear about having a real family again. He was scared that he wouldn't be able to feel emotionally attached to her because, as with so many things in his life -been there, done that, can't do it again. Then on the other hand he already felt responsible and attached to her and he didn't want to lose that again.

He can change traveling companions when he feels the need. No one can change family. No matter what. There is always that connection. Throughout life and beyond.

To see him when he lost her --- guh! It broke my heart.
      For the very end bit...
      Spoiler:
      Any news on what will happen with her running around the universe on her own?
      sigpic

Comment

I thought he did a fabulous job throughout the Doctor's Daughter
        Spoiler:
        I could almost sense his fear about having a real family again. He was scared that he wouldn't be able to feel emotionally attached to her because, as with so many things in his life -been there, done that, can't do it again. Then on the other hand he already felt responsible and attached to her and he didn't want to lose that again.

He can change traveling companions when he feels the need. No one can change family. No matter what. There is always that connection. Throughout life and beyond.

To see him when he lost her --- guh! It broke my heart.
        Oh definitely.
        Spoiler:
        One line I ADORED in this episode was after he'd revealed to Donna that he'd had a family before and she said to him "You talk all the time but you never say anything" and he just replied simply, "I know". I loved that acknowledgement of something I've always thought about the Doctor - that for all the Doctor's exuberance and his non-stop talking, he never really talks about the serious stuff. I even wrote that in my first 10th Doctor fic, that he avoids talking about the serious stuff, that he almost seems to be running from his own past all the time, seeking adventure and excitement to avoid having time to dwell on the sorrow and the loss.

For the very end bit...
        Spoiler:
        Any news on what will happen with her running around the universe on her own?
        Not heard anything.
        Spoiler:
        I'm pretty sure if was merely a case of keeping the idea open to give themselves the option of going back to it in future. I think I read somewhere that RTD and the writer were all for killing her off completely but Stephen Moffat insisted they keep her alive.

Also, on a whumpy note again, I really enjoyed
        Spoiler:
        the minor physical whumpage of him being frogmarched to the progenation machine and crying out with pain as it extracts samples from him etc. Oooh and Donna and Martha rushing to him afterwards to ask him if he's okay and he's cradling his hand and Martha takes his hand to check the injury..
        sigpic

Comment

Oh definitely.
          Spoiler:
          One line I ADORED in this episode was after he'd revealed to Donna that he'd had a family before and she said to him "You talk all the time but you never say anything" and he just replied simply, "I know". I loved that acknowledgement of something I've always thought about the Doctor - that for all the Doctor's exuberance and his non-stop talking, he never really talks about the serious stuff. I even wrote that in my first 10th Doctor fic, that he avoids talking about the serious stuff, that he almost seems to be running from his own past all the time, seeking adventure and excitement to avoid having time to dwell on the sorrow and the loss.

Not heard anything.
          Spoiler:
          I'm pretty sure if was merely a case of keeping the idea open to give themselves the option of going back to it in future. I think I read somewhere that RTD and the writer were all for killing her off completely but Stephen Moffat insisted they keep her alive.

Also, on a whumpy note again, I really enjoyed
          Spoiler:
          the minor physical whumpage of him being frogmarched to the progenation machine and crying out with pain as it extracts samples from him etc. Oooh and Donna and Martha rushing to him afterwards to ask him if he's okay and he's cradling his hand and Martha takes his hand to check the injury..
          Loved when his hand was in the machine

Spoiler:
          The "ow ow ow" bit. He is the king of understatement.

As for his talking
          Spoiler:
          I definitely agree that he can talk circles around anyone but never tell you a thing. I guess that is part of his being a Time Lord. He has so much in him that he needs to know, but can't share. Plus it is a way to protect himself from having people get too close. Distraction with a bunch of doublespeak and no real information.

The end bit
          Spoiler:
          I wasn't sure what was going to happen with her. I wasn't surprised that she died and it also didn't surprise me that she came back. It didn't change the fact that HE thinks she is gone and has lost another child.

I did ask Hubby about his family and he said the very first Doctor talked about them a time or two but it wasn't really a big thing. He didn't like the very first Doctor much.

It would be nice to see her adventures but then how many spinoffs are too many?

Ack! I keep having a fly land on my toes as I type. **shudders** it is an icky feeling. Must go whump that fly into oblivion!
          sigpic

Comment

Really good episode this week. Not quite what I was expecting but certainly some really nice 10th angst.

Must make some yummy caps...
            sigpic

Comment

I made pictures of the pretty whump/angst!

Spoilers for Midnight:
              Spoiler:

sigpic

Comment

And more:

Spoilers for Midnight:
                Spoiler:

sigpic

Comment

And some more:

Spoilers for Midnight:

Spoiler:

sigpic

Comment

Last lot:

Spoilers for Midnight:

Spoiler:

sigpic

Comment

Another one I can't wait to see. We just watched the Unicorn and the Wasp. I did like the
                      Spoiler:
                      poisoning scene.
                      sigpic

Comment

Another one I can't wait to see. We just watched the Unicorn and the Wasp. I did like the
                        Spoiler:
                        poisoning scene.
                        Oh I loved that too. I particularly loved the bit
                        Spoiler:
                        right at the start of that scene where he called Donna's name and she thought he was warning her about the copyright thing but when she looked over he looked kinda slowed and dazed and the way he slowly said "something's interfering with my enzymes.." and then suddenly doubles up in pain... it starts off slow and then suddenly becomes frantic.
                        sigpic

Comment

Oh I loved that too. I particularly loved the bit
                          Spoiler:
                          right at the start of that scene where he called Donna's name and she thought he was warning her about the copyright thing but when she looked over he looked kinda slowed and dazed and the way he slowly said "something's interfering with my enzymes.." and then suddenly doubles up in pain... it starts off slow and then suddenly becomes frantic.
                          I admit I did have to laugh over
                          Spoiler:
                          how can Harvey Wallbanger ever be considered one word? Other than that, the frantic look in his eyes and shoving past people in desperation to get what he needed. GUH!
                          And his concern for Agatha Christie. Wonderful!
                          sigpic

Comment

I admit I did have to laugh over
                            Spoiler:
                            how can Harvey Wallbanger ever be considered one word? Other than that, the frantic look in his eyes and shoving past people in desperation to get what he needed. GUH!
                            And his concern for Agatha Christie. Wonderful!
                            I enjoyed all of that - I just found it
                            Spoiler:
                            a bit of a shame that in the end the whump was played for laughs. We've really lacked anything in the way of serious proper whump in this season - as opposed to Season 3 (blood drained by plasmavore/needed CPR; heart stopped by Carrionite; choking on fumes from motorway; struck by lightening; possessed by alien sun etc etc etc!)
                            sigpic

Comment

I enjoyed all of that - I just found it
                              Spoiler:
                              a bit of a shame that in the end the whump was played for laughs. We've really lacked anything in the way of serious proper whump in this season - as opposed to Season 3 (blood drained by plasmavore/needed CPR; heart stopped by Carrionite; choking on fumes from motorway; struck by lightening; possessed by alien sun etc etc etc!)
                              I will agree with you on that! We need proper whumpage.

Have you finished the season now? Midnight was the last one right?
                              sigpic

Comment

Have you finished the season now? Midnight was the last one right?
                                Oh nononono! There's three more to go! And this is where it probably does get very whumpy/angsty (though I'm nervous about how it's all going to play out)!

Next week's episode is the "Doctor Lite" episode (with not much DT in it cos he's off filming the next eps) and focuses on Donna and... someone else. And from the look of the promo and little snippets I've read here and there, the reason the Doctor is not around is because
                                Spoiler:
                                he's supposedly dead!! Obviously he can't be because he's in the following eps but still... I've no idea how this is all going to work out!!
                                And then the season ends on a big old 2-parter with a major enemy from the classic series being brought back.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X