You Know You're a Whovian When...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ecchi View Post
    Not only in Scotland, it is the same on the civilised side of Hadrians wall too.
    Civilised? I beg your pardon!

Who invented television? A Scotsman, John Logie Baird.

Who perfected the steam engine? A Scotsman, James Watt.

Who founded the US Navy? A Scotsman, John Paul Jones.

And in regard to the rugby? South Africa all the way!
    sigpic
    Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
    To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
    And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Back in, I think, the 1980s, there was a Alien type of haunted house in London based on the Sigourney Weaver movie. You entered a basement room with several large packing cases with someone in marine uniform. The marine told you that these were the crates the aliens were brought back to earth in, and that if you waited here a guide would be with you soon to show you round, then the marine left. After about a minute sirens started wailing and red emergency lights came on. Then the marine returned with a big gun and said "The aliens have escaped the containment room, the only way out is through the complex. Please follow me, do not get between me and an alien, because if necessary for the good of the group, I will shoot through you." You were then led through the complex by the marine, with aliens (both anamatronic and actors in costume) all over the place.

Not only was it great fun, it was very effective. There were a couple of teenagers in the group I was with, they started out with a "this is stupid, but may be fun in an ironic way" attitude, but were soon caught up in it. And near the end, you get in a "shuttle back to earth", just as the door is closing the lights go out and you just see an alien entering the shuttle. I was sitting next to one of these teenagers, and the alien costume brushed against his leg. He screamed and jumped on my lap in fear. Then when the marine asked if anyone saw anything (it was still pitch dark) he yelled in panic "Yes, for f*** sake shoot it."

But the real embarrassing part was when the shuttle landed, the marine pointed along a narrow badly lit corridor and said "The exit door is at the end of that corridor, run for your lives, don't turn round, don't look back, just run and keep running." You ran along the corridor, crashed through the door, and kept on running. Then you realised that you were out of the "haunted house", and back in the West End shopping centre, and people were staring at you as though you were mad.

OMG that sounded like so much fun.......
      Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

Has anyone been in one of those simulator type things with the seats
        and a giant screen in front and it tilts and rocks and you go one this ride
        like a roller coaster, or in the one I was on a rocket ride which lands
        on a slide like thing like a roller coaster?

It was so much fun......I was heaps younger mind you and went with
        some friends and most of our group was girls about 3/4 and I had one
        jump into my lap and not wanna let go...

Well it was one way to meet people.
        Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by BruTak View Post

Honestly kids today have got no idea how to behave. When I was young people showed respect to those who had conquered them!

Last edited by ecchi; 20 October 2007, 04:59 AM. Reason: typo in a smilie
          My jokes site - http://www.homegrownlaughter.com - for great jokes

It has come to my notice that some people in this forum are using the letter A without having first obtained a licence. Be aware that the letter A is now a patented property, and continuing to use it without a licence will result in criminal prosecution. Please CLICK HERE for full details.

Comment

Originally posted by ChocolateLovingEntity View Post
            OMG that sounded like so much fun.......
            Believe me, it was. I was so disappointed when it closed down and became a night club.

It has come to my notice that some people in this forum are using the letter A without having first obtained a licence. Be aware that the letter A is now a patented property, and continuing to use it without a licence will result in criminal prosecution. Please CLICK HERE for full details.

Comment

Originally posted by ChocolateLovingEntity View Post
              Has anyone been in one of those simulator type things with the seats and a giant screen in front and it tilts and rocks and you go one this ride like a roller coaster, or in the one I was on a rocket ride which lands on a slide like thing like a roller coaster?
              I've been on a couple. And tomorrow I am off on holiday to Norfolk (England). A few miles from where I am staying there is one on the seafront, so I may be going on it again.

Comment

Back in, I think, the 1980s, there was a Alien type of haunted house in London based on the Sigourney Weaver movie.
                I remember this, it was called Alien War.

I have fond memories of the attraction when it was based in Glasgow. I went through with a bunch of young teenage kids, and a gang of big bruisers who - I later found out - were off duty firefighters.

I'm willing to swear in any court you'd care to mention that one of said firefighters screamed like a little girl when an Alien grabbed him.
                sigpic
                Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,

Comment

Originally posted by BruTak View Post

Who invented television? A Scotsman, John Logie Baird.

Who perfected the steam engine? A Scotsman, James Watt.

Who founded the US Navy? A Scotsman, John Paul Jones.

And in regard to the rugby? South Africa all the way!
                  and let's not forget both David Tennant and John Barrowman are of Scottish decent
                  I'm a Slasher. I slash. It's what I do.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lilith View Post
                    and let's not forget both David Tennant and John Barrowman are of Scottish decent
                    Indeed. David Tennant, born in Paisley. John Barrowman, born in Glasgow.
                    sigpic

Comment

and they invented whiskey!! Scots rule!
                      sigpic

Comment

Scots rule!
                        How very kind of you to say so.
                        sigpic

Comment

what can i say? i have a fascination with kilts, whiskey, and the Highlander [( as played by Adrean Paul )]
                          sigpic

Comment

I wore a kilt when I was best man at my brother's wedding.

Nothing was worn under it, it was all in perfect working order.
                            sigpic

Comment

*cheshire grin* every time i see a guy in a kilt, i can't help but run up to him and ask if he's wearing it properly one guy asked if i wanted to check myself....
                              sigpic

Comment

and they invented whiskey!! Scots rule!
                                I'm not sure that they invented it, but I'll grant you that they do make the best in the world (sorry Ireland).

Comment

Working...
                                X