X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"It'll be... Fantastic" | The Ninth Doctor Adventures Trailer | Doctor Who
    13/05/21

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMkKRXfWzTo

The Ninth Doctor era on audio begins today... Join Christopher Eccleston and Big Finish Productions for an absolutely FANTASTIC adventure! ➡️ bit.ly/3b59zsW0

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,
    K-9, CLASS and much more...

Comment

Jackie Lane 1941-2021
      Wednesday, 23 June 2021 - Reported by Marcus

https://www.doctorwhonews.net/2021/0...1941_2021.html

The actress and agent Jackie Lane has died at the age of 79

Jackie Lane appeared in 19 episodes of Doctor Who in the 1960s playing Dodo Chaplet a companion of the First Doctor William Hartnell.

Jackie Lane was born in Manchester, England. After training as an actress she had small parts in soap operas. Compact and Coronation Street.

In 1963 her agent put her forward to play the character of Susan in the new tea-time science fiction programme Doctor Who. Lane however withdrew from consideration on learning she would be expected to sign a year-long contract should she win the role.

Three years later, with Doctor Who a huge success, the actress was offered the role of Dodo by producer John Wiles. Arriving at the end of The Massacre, the character travelled with the Doctor and his companion Steven, played by Peter Purves across four stories, The Ark, The Celestial Toymaker, The Gunfighters and The Savages.

Lane told Doctor Who Magazine about her time on the series
      It was very friendly, although for Bill Hartnell has put up with a lot of cast changes over a short space of time. It was really beginning to get to him. We got on very well, although I wouldn't say I ever really knew him that well.

Lane's contract expired after four months and it was not renewed by the new producer Innes Lloyd. The character disappeared from the series, without a goodbye, during the story The War Machines
      Innes had definite plans for the series, which neither Steven nor Dodo fitted. I think I would have liked a dramatic ending. My farewell was a bit of an anti-climax. Still, I got my revenge. I now run a voice-over agency and Innes Lloyd once asked me to find him work. I reminded him that he had once sacked me from Doctor Who and said a very firm no.

Soon after Lane left Doctor Who she retired from acting. She spent some time as a diplomatic Secretary working for the Australian Government and as an antique dealer before returning to the world of show business, this time as a theatrical agent. In this role, she represented Tom Baker.

A very shy woman, Jackie Lane was always reluctant to involve herself in Doctor Who fandom. She gave very few interviews about her time on the show but did make an appearance at the time of Doctor Who’s fiftieth anniversary.

Jackie Lane's death was announced by Fantom Films earlier today.

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,

Comment

Regarding Jackie representing Tom Baker; more than just that - she actually encouraged him to audition for the role of the Doctor, and then later also I believe was representing Janet Fielding when she became Tegan. At some point in Nic Courtney's career she represented him, too, though after he'd already become the Brigadier.

I can't say Dodo was an amazing companion... but I don't believe at all that it was Jackie Lane's fault. Her character wasn't given a proper introduction, was told to change her accent part way through her brief time, and then was written out without even getting a farewell scene.

What footage does remain of her time in the TARDIS (as a good chunk of her stories are missing) - she is a likeable enough sort.

As for Lane herself - it sound as though she had a pretty good life, even though she didn't continue her acting she helped represent others.
        back on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@The-Cosmic-Hobo
        "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" • "Bigger on the Inside?" • "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!"
        "The War Games - In 10 Minutes" • "Announcement of Jon Pertwee's death" •
        and lots more!

Comment

The Evil of the Daleks - New Release
          Thursday, 1 July 2021 - Reported by Marcus

https://www.doctorwhonews.net/2021/0...w_release.html

BBC Studios have announced that the second Doctor story, The Evil of the Daleks is to be released as an animated special edition on 27th September 2021.

Today's announcement comes on the 53rd anniversary of the broadcast of the last episode of the original version which brought an end to the 4th season of Doctor Who.

The Evil of the Daleks is the mostly-missing ninth and final serial of the fourth season of Doctor Who, which originally aired in seven weekly parts from 20th May to 1st July 1967.

Following the success of the existing animations, The Evil of the Daleks fills another gap in the missing Doctor Who content lost in the purge of the BBC archive soon after the programme’s original transmission. However, audio-only recordings of all seven episodes have survived and have been used here to create a brand new fully animated presentation of this lost classic, featuring the original surviving second episode.

The Doctor (Patrick Troughton) stars alongside his travel companion Jamie (Frazer Hines). The story unfolds as the Doctor and Jamie set out to find the missing time machine, bringing them face to face with a very old enemy - the Daleks, who have a new masterplan to conquer the universe. The Daleks force the Doctor to help them on their quest to ‘humanise’ themselves into deadlier living weapons.

This particular story is notable for introducing the Doctor’s new companion Victoria Waterfield (Deborah Watling), first seen in the surviving second episode, and also for presenting the Dalek Emperor.

The three-disc release gives fans the opportunity to enjoy The Evil of the Daleks, available in either colour or black and white. The release will include:
          • Remastered Surviving Original Episode 2
          • ​Telesnap Reconstructions – 6 episodes
          • Audio Commentaries
          • Audiobook, with a recorded commentary by Tom Baker
          • Making Of
          • Photo Gallery
          Anne Marie Walsh, Director of the 2021 production said
          It's been a privilege to work on this fantastic story with such a brilliant team - thanks to the fans for supporting our work, I hope you all enjoy watching it as much as we enjoyed making it!”

The new animated release will be available on DVD, Blu-ray and a Limited Edition Blu-ray Steelbook from 27th September 2021. Pre-orders are available now from Amazon

Comment

Doctor Who Magazine: Issue 567
            Wednesday, 21 July 2021 - Reported by Marcus

https://www.doctorwhonews.net/2021/0...issue_567.html

The latest edition of Doctor Who Magazine gets us ready for summer.

Going on holiday might not be so easy this year, but we can remember some of the highlights of summers past
            • A celebration of the BBC’s Doctor Who exhibitions in the 1970s, from the Science Museum in London to Middlesbrough Town Hall, plus Blackpool and Longleat. 16 pages packed full of previously unseen photos, and memories from fans who were there.
            • A guide to Doctor Who filming locations.
            • Apocrypha takes a trip to Blackpool with The Nightmare Fair, the Doctor’s rematch with the Celestial Toymaker.
            • The Fact of Fiction visits a sinister amusement park in the 2013 episode Nightmare in Silver.
            • An exclusive first-look at the forthcoming Blu-ray Special Edition of The Web of Fear.
            • Tributes to Jackie Lane (who played the First Doctor’s companion Dodo in 1966) and Damaris Hayman (who played Olive Hawthorne in 1971’s The Dæmons).
            • A review of The Collection: Season 24 Blu-ray box set.
            • Results of the 2021 DWM Poll.
            • Sufficient Data explores Doctor Who’s big ideas.
            • Previews, reviews, news, prize-winning competitions, Time and Space Visualiser and more.
            Doctor Who Magazine Issue 567 is on sale from panini.co.uk and WH Smith from Thursday 22 July priced £5.99 (UK). Also available as a digital edition from pocketmags.com priced £4.99.​

Comment

Series 13 Trailer | Doctor Who
              25 Jul 2021

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNb51OwYO6M

Her biggest adventure yet. Returns later this year.

Comment

Jodie Whittaker and Chris Chibnall to leave Doctor Who in a trio of Specials in 2022
                29th July 2021

https://www.doctorwho.tv/news?articl...ave-doctor-who

Jodie Whittaker and Chris Chibnall to leave Doctor Who in a trio of Specials, culminating in an epic blockbuster Special to air in autumn 2022 as part of the BBC’s Centenary celebrations.

Having been in charge of the TARDIS since filming for the Thirteenth Doctor began in 2017, Showrunner Chris Chibnall and the Thirteenth Doctor, Jodie Whittaker, have confirmed they will be moving on from the most famous police box on Earth - and the universe.

With a six-part Event Serial announced for the autumn, and two Specials already planned for 2022, BBC One has now asked for an additional final feature length adventure for the Thirteenth Doctor, to form a trio of Specials for 2022, before the Doctor regenerates once more.

After taking the helm of the show, Chris Chibnall made the groundbreaking decision to cast Jodie Whittaker as the first female Doctor. He also brought in ‘the fam’ of Tosin Cole (Ryan), Mandip Gill (Yaz) and Bradley Walsh (Graham), and cast the acclaimed Sacha Dhawan as the latest incarnation of The Master, plus Jo Martin as the mysterious Fugitive Doctor, adding new characters, layers and twists to the mythology of the show.

Episodes such as Rosa, Demons of the Punjab and Spyfall have thrilled audiences across the globe garnering critical acclaim and award recognition, including two BAFTA Must See Moment nominations, along with multiple National Television Award, BAFTA Cymru, TV Choice, Screen Nation, Hugo, Saturn. and Critics Choice nominations. Under Chris’ tenure, the series has been awarded the Visionary Awards TV Show of the Year, the Canadian Rockie Award from the BANFF Television Festival for best sci-fi and genre series, while Mandip Gill and Vinay Patel were recognised with wins from the Eastern Eye Awards. The 2020 series won Best Science Fiction Show voted for by readers at Radio Times.com, beating out competition from The Mandalorian, Lucifer and The Boys, as well as winning both Best Moment and Most Incredible Twist from the Digital Spy Reader Awards 2020, for Fugitive Of The Judoon and Ascension Of The Cybermen. In 2019, the entire current cast and crew were awarded Honorary Doctorates by Sheffield Hallam University for their work on the show.

As the Thirteenth Doctor, Jodie Whittaker stepped aboard the TARDIS to begin filming in 2017. As the first woman to play the iconic role, Jodie has thrilled audiences with her portrayal of the Time Lord, winning the hearts of Doctor Who fans across the globe. Jodie’s multi-layered, warm, funny and inspiring depiction of the Doctor not only created a first in Doctor Who history, but in 2020, Jodie was voted 2nd Most Popular Doctor of all time, coming within a whisker of her friend David Tennant, in a poll of more than 50,000 fans for Radio Times.

Chris Chibnall says
                “Jodie and I made a “three series and out” pact with each other at the start of this once-in-a-lifetime blast. So now our shift is done, and we’re handing back the TARDIS keys.
                “Jodie’s magnificent, iconic Doctor has exceeded all our high expectations. She’s been the gold standard leading actor, shouldering the responsibility of being the first female Doctor with style, strength, warmth, generosity and humour. She captured the public imagination and continues to inspire adoration around the world, as well as from everyone on the production. I can’t imagine working with a more inspiring Doctor – so I’m not going to!

“For me, leading this exceptional team has been unrivalled creative fun, and one of the great joys of my career. I’m so proud of the people we’ve worked with and the stories we’ve told. To finish our time on the show with an additional Special, after the pandemic changed and challenged our production plans, is a lovely bonus. It’s great that the climax of the Thirteenth Doctor’s story will be at the heart(s) of the BBC’s centenary celebrations.

“I wish our successors - whoever the BBC and BBC Studios choose - as much fun as we’ve had. They’re in for a treat!”

Jodie Whittaker adds
                “In 2017 I opened my glorious gift box of size 13 shoes. I could not have guessed the brilliant adventures, worlds and wonders I was to see in them. My heart is so full of love for this show, for the team who make it, for the fans who watch it and for what it has brought to my life. And I cannot thank Chris enough for entrusting me with his incredible stories. We knew that we wanted to ride this wave side by side, and pass on the baton together. So here we are, weeks away from wrapping on the best job I have ever had. I don’t think I’ll ever be able to express what this role has given me. I will carry the Doctor and the lessons I’ve learnt forever.

“I know change can be scary and none of us know what’s out there. That’s why we keep looking. Travel Hopefully. The Universe will surprise you. Constantly.”

Piers Wenger, Director of BBC Drama says
                “Over the last four years Chris and Jodie have made Doctor Who history and their time on the show is indelibly marked on our memories. From Rosa Parks to Ascension of the Cybermen, Chris and Jodie have given Doctor Who some of its most life-affirming and tear-jerking moments to date and we are beyond excited to see what they have in store for us in the new series this Autumn. Jodie's final adventure to mark the BBC's Centenary in 2022 is set to be a Doctor Who Special to remember. I’d like to thank them both for their incredible work on the show”

With over a year of adventures to come, the Thirteenth Doctor still has plenty in store for fans.

Doctor Who will return with Series 13 later this year.
                Last edited by Alan; 29 July 2021, 07:41 AM.

Comment

No confirmation to date of the new Showrunner... but BBC have said the show is not being rested / cancelled - presumably because previously they have announced the new showrunner same time as announcing the departure of one...

Thinking we will not see the next Doctor's first season until 2024.
                  "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" • "Bigger on the Inside?" • "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!"
                  and lots more!

Comment

Tony Selby 1938-2021
                    Monday, 6 September 2021 - Reported by Marcus

https://www.doctorwhonews.net/2021/0...1938_2021.html

The actor Tony Selby has died at the age of 83.

Tony Selby had a long and illustrious career spanning more than 70 years and appearing on Stage, on Television and in Films.

He played the role of Sabalom Glitz in three Doctor Who stories. In 1986 he appeared alongside sixth Doctor Colin Baker in the first section of the Trial of a Timelord season, The Mysterious Planet. The character returned for the conclusion to the season in The Ultimate Foe.

The following year he returned to the series, this time appearing with Seventh Doctor Sylvester McCoy in Dragonfire.

Born in London in 1938, Selby trained at the famous Italia Conti Stage School. One of his first TV appearances was in the TV play Mencius Was a Bad Boy appearing as Pig at the age of 13. Over the next 70 years he would be a constant presence on TV with appearances in programmes such as Compact, No Hiding Place, The Wednesday Play, Shine a Light, Z Cars, Catweazle, Ace of Wands, Minder, Crown Court, The Good Life, Moody and Pegg, Jack of Diamonds, Hideaway, Mulberry, Love Hurts, The Detectives, The Bill and Dream Team.

One of his most memorable roles was as Corporal Marsh in the ITV sitcom Get Some In! about life in National Service. He appeared in EastEnders playing Clive Mitchell.

On the stage, he appeared in the original production of Edward Bond's controversial play Saved at the Royal Court Theatre.

Film work included roles in Adolf Hitler: My Part in his Downfall and Alfie as well as an uncredited role in Superman.

Tony Selby's death was announced by his management LCM Limited. In a statement, they said
                    With great sadness, we announce that actor Tony Selby passed away peacefully in London yesterday.
                    In a career spanning 70 years in theatre, film and TV, Tony was highly respected and loved by family, friends and colleagues.

His renowned sense of humour will be missed by us all.

Comment

That really was sad to read.

I love Sabalom Glitz. He was the best thing that came out of WHO in the 80's. (Ok - would you believe... to come out of 1986/7 WHO?) The only time I have ever ever played a role-playing game (you know, sitting round a table rolling dice...) I chose Glitz as my character.

I wish they'd brought him back, even just for an audio adventure. Especially if they darkened his character again, unlike the version in Dragonfire. (I mean - he still sold his crew for 102 crowns! But he was a lot more comic relief later. Robert Holmes wrote him best.)
                      and lots more!

Comment

Russell T Davies returns to helm Doctor Who for 60th Anniversary and beyond
                        Friday, 24 September 2021 - Reported by Chuck Foster

https://www.doctorwhonews.net/2021/0...o_for_60t.html

The BBC have announced that Russell T Davies, the man behind the return of Doctor Who in 2005, is once again to take the helm of the television series for its 60th Anniversary and further series beyond.
                        As the first showwunner of Doctor Who, Davies's tenure saw the programme surge in popularity and win a number of accolades, and his departure in 2009 left a legacy which continues some sixteen years later!

Speaking of his return, Davies said:
                        I'm beyond excited to be back on my favourite show. But we're time-travelling too fast, there's a whole series of Jodie Whittaker's brilliant Doctor to me to enjoy, with my friend and hero Chris Chibnall at the helm - I'm still a viewer for now.

Chibnall says of Davie's return:
                        It's monumentally exciting and fitting that Doctor Who's 60th anniversary will see one of Britain's screenwriting diamonds return home. Russell built the baton that is about to be handed back to him - Doctor Who, the BBC, the screen industry in Wales, and let's be honest everyone in the whole world, have so many reasons to be Very Excited indeed about what lies ahead.

Piers Wenger, BBC Director of Drama said:
                        As the 13th Doctor prepares to embark on new and extraordinary adventures, the winds of change are blowing… bringing with them news to delight Doctor Who fans across the globe. We are thrilled that Russell is returning to Doctor Who to build on the huge achievements of Chris and Jodie. Thank you to the two of them and the team in Cardiff for all they continue to do for the show and hello Russell, it’s wonderful to have you back.

The show will be produced by BBC Studios in partnership with Bad Wolf.

Comment

So... has he learned? Evolved? Or are we in for more farting Slitheen?

I'm excited by this news, as at the end of the day, 10's era is my most "re-watched". But, also a bit concerned about the show going "backwards". I hope RTD has a great plan for the show, and the producer/s keep him to task.
                          and lots more!

Comment

me and a friend from work have a theory that RTD was brought back for damage control from the chib era of the show and the Beeb are wanting him to return it to the ratings juggernaut that it was during his run and the first year of moffatts

Comment

Oh Absolutely! I suspect it was a bit of a case of - We have no one else to take over, we're not extending Chibnall's contract (!), so the show either gets "rested", or you take it back on...

But, whilst they want him to "restore" the show to how he left it, I do believe we wont see a white male Doctor - at least not next. There's already rumours that it will be Lydia West, who worked with RTD recently, but - it's just rumours...
                              and lots more!

Comment

I have this mental image of four or five years down the line, RTD steps down in favour of the Moff, who in turn (five or six years after that) hands it over to Chibs... ...and so on and so on, like a weird game of pass the parcel, until one of them drops down dead from the stress of it all.
                                sigpic
                                Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
                                To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
                                And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Working...
                                X