X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HAPPY
    HALLOWEEN
    FELLOW WHOVIANS!!!!

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,
    K-9, CLASS and much more...

Comment

Quick-fire questions with Vivian Oparah - Class - BBC Three

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,

Comment

Class: Episode 4 Trailer - BBC Three

Comment

Just happened to see a commercial on BBC America, while watching Star Trek TNG, for The Power of the Daleks about 22 minutes ago and it said that the episode would premiere Nov. 19 at 8:25pm EST on BBC America.

https://twitter.com/DoctorWho_BBCA/s...02854090694656

http://www.bbcamerica.com/anglopheni...ers-nationwide

Signs by Scifan and me. | My Forum - Planet TV Role Play | My Fan Fiction | My Mini City - Rygel City

Comment

Class - Episode Four - Co-Owner Of A Lonely Heart
            Tuesday, 01 November, 2016 - Reported by Marcus

http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2016/11...of-lonely.html

The BBC have released a new set of pictures from the fourth episode of Class, Co-Owner Of A Lonely Heart.

The episode is released on BBC Three next Saturday, after which it will be released around the world. Full Details
            Class Episode Four - Co-Owner Of A Lonely Heart

April starts to feel effects of sharing her heart with Corakinus, and his attempts to sever the attachment only make it stronger.
            When April's estranged father makes a startling appearance she confronts him with Shadow Kin force, manifesting traits of the Shadow Kin leader.
            Frightened by this extraordinary new-found power, April seeks comfort in Ram, and vows to reclaim her heart as her own. Meanwhile, something strange is happening to the others - London is slowly being infested with unusual, sinister flower petals.

Comment

The Essential Doctor Who 9 - Invasions of Earth
              Tuesday, 01 November, 2016 - Reported by Chuck Foster

http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2016/11...116110008.html

Panini have announced the latest in their ongoing Doctor Who Essentials series of special magazines:

The makers of Doctor Who Magazine continue their lavish series of bookazines with a 116-page issue celebrating some of the most memorable episodes in the series history.

Invasions of Earth includes interviews with:

Other highlights include a tribute to
              Nicholas Courtney, a look at Terry Nation’s original storyline for The Dalek Invasion of Earth, Jon Pertwee’s unmade story The Spare-Part People and much more.

Editor Marcus Hearn says:
              Invasions of Earth have been central to Doctor Who since 1964. It was a big subject for us to tackle, but we’ve managed to cover almost every major era of the series with some fascinating articles and plenty of rare images. This is the story of our planet’s most epic battles!

The Essential Doctor Who: Invasions of Earth is on sale now at WH Smith and all good newsagents.

Comment

When is Doctor Who series 10 (a.k.a. series 36) on TV?
                Find out what we know so far about the returning BBC sci-fi series starring Peter Capaldi and Pearl Mackie
                By Huw Fullerton
                Wednesday 2 November 2016 at 3:30PM

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2016-...eries-10-on-tv

The BBC’s flagship sci-fi series Doctor Who is taking a break this year, but that hasn’t stopped fans (and us) relentlessly speculating on what showrunner Steven Moffat has planned for the further adventures of Peter Capaldi’s Time Lord.
                So with months still to go until we see the next full series, here’s what we DO know about the upcoming escapades awaiting the Doctor and his friends in 2017.

When is Doctor Who series 10 (a.k.a. series 36) filming?

The next run of episodes is currently still shooting, with four episodes “in the can” according to Steven Moffat and the Christmas special about to start filming.

What are the Doctor Who filming locations?

Aside from the usual studios and landmarks in Cardiff, South Wales, the new series of Doctor Who has also included filming in Valencia, Spain and Bristol.

Who is in the Doctor Who series 10 (a.k.a. series 36) cast?

Peter Capaldi is back at the helm of the Tardis as the Twelfth Doctor, and he’s not the only familiar face – Matt Lucas is also returning to his role as Nardole (above), having previously appeared in 2015 Christmas special The Husbands of River Song and now appearing for an unknown number of episodes.

Are there any new characters in the cast?

This series will see the introduction of new companion Bill, played by Pearl Mackie, who was briefly introduced in a special scene earlier this year. As usual, around Bill and the Doctor there will also be a rotating collection of guest stars, including Poirot actor David Suchet as a mysterious figure called The Landlord (above).

What is the plot of Doctor Who series 10 (aka series 36), do you have any spoilers?

Apart from the inclusion of Bill, Nardole and the Landlord very little information has slipped through the net about what adventures we can expect for the Doctor next year.
                However, Peter Capaldi has stated that the series will be “taking the Doctor to the forefront of the cosmic battlefield” against an “awful threat”, so we can be sure that in Steven Moffat’s last series as showrunner there are some serious fireworks planned.

When is Doctor Who series 10 (a.k.a. series 36) going to be on TV?

While there is currently no confirmed air date for Doctor Who series 10 (aka series 36) (apart from a vague mention of ‘Spring’), Peter Capaldi recently let slip to a fan that the series would come to screens next April, returning to its traditional (since 2005) early spring starting point after airing in the summer and winter months for the last couple of years.

Comment

BBC Children in Need to preview Doctor Who Christmas special
                  Thursday, 03 November, 2016 - Reported by Chuck Foster

http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2016/11...116110008.html

As in previous years, the BBC's annual charity fundraising evening for Children in Need will feature an item relating to the forthcoming Doctor Who Christmas Special.
                  This year this will take the form of an exclusive clip from The Return of Doctor Mysterio:

The sneak peak will see the Doctor, played by Peter Capaldi and Nardole, played by Matt Lucas, team up with an investigative reporter played by Charity Wakefield and a masked vigilante played by Justin Chatwin to defend New York from a terrifying alien invasion before the full episode, ‘The Return of Doctor Mysterio’, airs at Christmas.

Written by
                  Steven Moffat, they will be joined by Adetomiwa Edun, Aleksandar Jovanovic and Logan Hoffman.

The exclusive clip will form part of BBC Children in Need’s Appeal Show on Friday 18th November, 7pm, BBC One whilst the 60 minute special will air later in the year at Christmas.

The programme is executive produced by Steven Moffat and
                  Brian Minchin, produced by Peter Bennett and directed by Ed Bazalgette (Poldark).

This year's Children in Need takes place in the evening of Friday 18th November.

Comment

The Power of the Daleks - Where To Watch
                    By Cameron K McEwan on Thursday 3 November 2016 |

http://www.doctorwho.tv/whats-new/ar...where-to-watch

The animated version of the lost Doctor Who classic, The Power of the Daleks is almost here! The global roll-out of the six-part story featuring The Second Doctor begins this weekend.

Around the world you will be able to enjoy The Power of the Daleks in various different formats, including: cinema, online and on DVD and bluray.

Below you can find out the confirmed releases where you live.

PLEASE NOTE: the below are all black and white, unless clearly stipulated available in colour.

UK

November 5, 2016Available exclusively on BBC Store to buy, download and keep. Episodes will release daily.
                    November 21, 2016 – Available on DVD. Order from Amazon here.
                    December 31, 2016Colour version available on BBC Store to buy, download and keep.
                    February 6, 2017 – Available on ‘Special Edition’ Bluray – includes colour version. Pre-order date TBC.

US

November 14, 2016 – Available in select theatres nationwide for one night only. Visit www.fathomevents.com for more info.
                    November 19, 2016 – Available to watch weekly on BBC AMERICA. For more info, visit www.bbcamerica.com
                    BBC AMERICA will make the colour version available exclusively on their digital platforms towards the end of November.
                    January 24, 2017 – Available on DVD exclusively from Barnes & Noble (includes colour version).
                    Check back for updates.

CANADA

November 30, 2016 – available in select theatres nationwide for one night only. Visit here for details.
                    Check back for updates.

AUSTRALIA

November 12-19, 2016 - Available at select theatres nationwide, for details visit here.
                    Check back for updates.

NEW ZEALAND

November 12-19, 2016 – Available at select theatres nationwide, for details visit here.
                    Check back for updates.

REST OF WORLD

Check back for updates.

Comment

The Power of the Daleks in Colour
                      Thursday, 03 November, 2016 - Reported by Marcus

http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2016/11...in-colour.html

The BBC have announced that a colour version of the animated story The Power of the Daleks is to be released at the end of the year.

The Black and White version is being released this weekend on BBC Store, with a DVD release coming on 21 November. It is now confirmed that a colour version will be released on BBC Store on 31st December followed by a Special Edition Bluray, containing both the Black and White and Colour versions, from 6th February 2017.

BBC America is screening the Black and White version weekly from November 19, and will make the colour version available exclusively on their digital platforms towards the end of November. From January 24, 2017 both versions of the story will be available on a Region 1 DVD, exclusively at Barnes & Noble.

Comment

Doctor Who actress recalls battling Daleks with Patrick Troughton
                        By Tim Masters Arts and entertainment correspondent

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-37846580

Former Doctor Who actress Anneke Wills says Patrick Troughton's "adorable" performance was key to keeping the show going in the 1960s.

Wills played companion Polly to William Hartnell's grandfatherly first Doctor and Patrick Troughton's scruffy second incarnation in 1966-67.
                        The show's producers decided to "regenerate" the lead role when Hartnell's health declined.
                        Saturday is the 50th anniversary of The Power of the Daleks, Troughton's debut.

The six-part adventure sees Troughton's time lord, and his Tardis companions, Polly and Ben (Michael Craze), do battle with the evil Daleks on the planet Vulcan.

To mark the anniversary, BBC Worldwide is releasing a black-and-white animated reconstruction of the "lost" story, based on surviving photographs and audio recordings.
                        Speaking at a screening of the first two episodes, Wills recalled how various actors - including Michael Horden - auditioned for the role of the new Doctor.

"We all knew Bill [William Hartnell] was going to leave at the end of the summer season, and then there were discussions about is that the end of the show or shall we have another actor," she said.
                        "When we heard it was Patrick, we knew that we had a chance.
                        "But we still didn't know if the audience would accept it and accept that the Doctor could change his body.
                        "And it was entirely up to Patrick that the audience did.
                        "In the animation you see how adorable he was, you couldn't resist him. And they didn't resist him.
                        "So luckily it was him and we're all here talking about it."

In this interview, Anneke Wills talks about about her memories of 1960s Doctor Who and what she think of Peter Capaldi's 12th Doctor.

Why is The Power of the Daleks so important in Doctor Who history?

This is the first time ever the Doctor changes his body.
                        For us at the time, it was a momentous moment.
                        Were we going to have a Bill Hartnell lookalike? Or someone totally different?
                        There were all these different names coming up. But also, as an actor, you were thinking: "I hope I'll be in work at the end of the summer break."

How did you find the transition from William Hartnell to Patrick Troughton?

Bill had become very difficult to work with - we had to be very generous and kind and pick up his lines.
                        The thing about Patrick was that he had no ego. That was an astounding thing.
                        I think his performance in this story is the most astounding of all the Doctors - and I've watched them all.

What other memories do you have from this story?

We had two weeks of rehearsal so Patrick had extra time to get into the role.
                        He put on his Harpo Marx curly wig, and Michael Craze said: "If you're going to wear that, I'm not bloody working with you," and went off for a smoke.
                        I was worried we were wasting time, so I took a comb out of someone's pocket and combed his hair forward in a Beatles style and messed it up a bit.
                        There was a silence as Patrick looked in the mirror.
                        And then he said: "I like it."

Ninety-seven Doctor Who episodes are still missing. How do you feel about them being junked?

We did that in those days. We never saw any of the work that we'd done. It was like rep theatre. You'd do a wonderful performance and then it's gone.
                        Now, looking back, it seems a terrible waste.
                        I love that Polly and Ben have been brought back [in animated form] because there's so little of us that survives.

What would you like to see animated next?

I would love it if they would do The Smugglers [a swashbuckling Hartnell story from 1966], next I'd love to see The Crusade [an earlier first Doctor adventure starring Julian Glover as Richard the Lionheart], and Fury of the Deep [a second Doctor sea-monster story from 1968].

Do you think any more 60s episodes will turn up?

Wouldn't it be wonderful? I don't know any more than the fans. They always think that I've got secrets, but I haven't .
                        If anybody's got one in their cupboard bring it forth - now is the moment.

Someone should make a spy thriller about the search for the missing episodes of Doctor Who.

How much has role of companion changed over the past 50 years?

Polly was created as a proactive young woman and, in a way, that hasn't changed. However, I take exception when the companion slaps the Doctor. That makes me really angry.

How much would you like Polly to return to the TV series?

That scares me to bits. All these wrinkles in high definition? I don't think so.
                        I talked to Peter Capaldi. I think he's astounding. He's luminous.
                        He asked me if there was a lot of pressure in the 1960s and I said we'd start rehearsals on a Monday, and he said: "You rehearse?"

But if they asked, would you do it?

Yes. Of course I'd take on the challenge. Maybe I could be in a wonderful mask.

The Power of the Daleks will be available on Saturday 5 November at 17:50 GMT on BBC Store, 50 years to the minute after it was first broadcast in 1966.
                        The first three minutes of episode one will also be streamed globally on Twitter.

Comment

The Power of the Daleks DVD + Blu-ray Steelbook

http://merchandise.thedoctorwhosite....ray-steelbook/

Available to order in the UK from www.amazon.co.uk

Doctor Who – The Power of the Daleks – The Collector’s Limited Edition DVD + BD Steelbook [Blu-ray]
                          50 years after its only UK broadcast on BBC One, one of Doctor Who’s most celebrated, lost adventures is regenerated, with a brand new hand-drawn black and white animation, synchronised with a digitally remastered recording of the original 1966 audio.

The six-part adventure takes place immediately after the first regeneration, as the Time Lord and his companions, Polly (Anneke Wills) and Ben (Michael Craze), do battle with an old foe on the mysterious planet Vulcan. How will Polly and Ben cope with a new Doctor?

How will the Doctor take to his new body? And how will they ever overcome the power of the Daleks? “Doctor Who: The Power of the Daleks” The Collector’s Limited Edition Steelbook includes the black & white animation on both Blu-Ray and DVD, and now features the colourised version.

Comment

I'm not afraid - Class: Episode 4 Sneak Peek - BBC Three

Comment

Things are gonna change around: Class Trailer - BBC Three

Comment

Fifty Years of Patrick Troughton
                                Saturday, 05 November, 2016 - Reported by Marcus

http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2016/11...troughton.html

It was fifty years ago today, on Saturday 5th November 1966, that we welcomed Patrick Troughton to the role of The Doctor.

The signing of Patrick Troughton was a major coup for the production team. At the time he was one of the best-known actors on British Television, having worked in the medium ever since it restarted after the second World War.

Troughton was born in North London in 1920, the son of a solicitor. His first acting role was at Mill Hill school, later attending the Embassy School of Acting studying under Eileen Thorndike. He won a scholarship to the Leighton Rallius Studios at the John Drew Memorial Theatre on Long Island in New York City.

His acting career was interrupted by war and the ship returning him to England sunk after hitting a mine in the English channel, forcing him to escape by lifeboat. Not put off by the sea he joined the Royal Navy serving with Royal Naval Reserve, earning the 1939-45 Star and the Atlantic Star as well as being mentioned in dispatches.

I was given my own command and sent to Great Yarmouth. I spent the rest of the war picking Americans up out of the drink. It was lovely having your own boat

Troughton made his Television debut in 1947, playing the young Thomas Culpepper in the play The Rose Without a Thorn, a production which starred Richard Hurndall, another actor who would inherit the role of the First Doctor. He found himself particularly suited to Television, where all drama was transmitted live. He relished the large audience the medium could reach, and the majority of his career would now focus on Television and to a lesser extent movies.

He was prolific in the medium appearing The Invisible Man, The Old Curiosity Shop, Kidnapped, The Count of Monte Cristo, Ivanhoe, Dial 999, Danger Man, Maigret, Compact, The Scarlet Pimpernel, The Third Man, Crane, Detective, Sherlock Holmes, No Hiding Place, The Saint, Armchair Theatre, The Wednesday Play, Z-Cars, Adam Adamant Lives!, A Tale of Two Cities, Smuggler's Bay, The Splendid Spur, The Naked Lady, The Scarf, The Rebel Heiress, Benbow and the Angels, Clementina, The Royalty and Softly, Softly. In 1953 he became Television's first Robin Hood, becoming a tea-time favorite for the nation's children and in 1960 made a huge impression on Sunday afternoons as Paul of Tarsus.

Dispite his huge body of work, Troughton was not the only choice, or indeed the first choice to take over from Hartnell. Brian Blessed, fresh from a leading role in police drama Z-Cars was offered the role, but declined because of scheduling conflicts. Rupert Davies, Valentine Dyall and Michael Hordern were all approached but none wanted to commit to a long-running series.

Troughton was offered the role in June 1966, while working on the Hammer film The Viking Queen. He had doubts about accepting. He himself was a fan of Doctor Who, and had watched every single Hartnell episode. But he thought the series had probably run its course.
                                I didn't think it was a particularly good idea of the BBC to replace Billy. I didn't see how anyone could follow him. I thought the difficulties of selling it to the audience, apart from selling it to poor Ben and Polly, were enormous, almost insurmountable.

Troughton was eventually persuaded to take the role and signed the contract for 22 episodes on 2nd August. He initially had the idea of playing the character in heavy make-up, in order to prevent being type-cast, but the look eventually settled on was that of the cosmic hobo.
                                We went up to Bermans, the costumiers, and we just looked through all the old rubbish really. We just got things out of hampers and had a look.

The characterisation was worked out between Troughton and script editor Gerry Davis, who explained.
                                I thought it would be interesting to have a character who never quite says what he means, who, really, uses the intelligence of the people he is with. He knows the answer all the time; if he suggests something he knows the outcome. He is watching, he's really directing, but he doesn't want to show he is directing.

Troughton would hold the role for three years. His success would guarantee the series longevity, and Troughton's place in the Television hall of fame.

Comment

Working...
                                X