Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jenna Coleman on Daybreak discussing the 50th, Matt leaving & Peter starting and fans.

And a tweet from Tom Spilsbury, Editor of DWM (@TomSpilsbury)

The latest issue of DWM is selling out so quickly, it looks like we might need to reprint it. This NEVER happens. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Blencathra View Post
      And a tweet from Tom Spilsbury, Editor of DWM (@TomSpilsbury)

The latest issue of DWM is selling out so quickly, it looks like we might need to reprint it. This NEVER happens. Thank you.
      "This NEVER happens."
      LOL! Love that!!

Just goes to show how popular the Doctor has become over all these years.. good or bad eps, wobbly sets and cheap effects from the earlier (*classic*) years -- with maybe some folks coming out of the closets, or from hiding behind their sofa's and kitchen walls, and joining in the throngs of an amazing Tv series (survival against the odds) accomplishment.. and it's STILL the SAME Tv show/series -- not spin-offs, but the original program now being done with newer technologies in an expanded story-form..
      ..yeah, sadly, it's missing a few years due to annoying cancellations (but there are plenty of books and audio stories to fill in the missing gaps of time), suffered thru numerous entertainment strikes and other issues, but still it is still the same Doctor and TARDIS, maybe reborn from being banged up and healed up several times over, but still the same entities from their original essence.

A truly rather creative idea in the first place on how to keep something going and going and going without too much overlapping of the past.. just nice memories now and then as well as creative reunions for the cast/crews.

--------------
      I do have a question for anyone who might know more details..???

Amazon (dot com) has the 50th anniversary special going on sale with preorders now, but apparently available for shipping on December 10, 2013. One version is just the standard DVD, but the other "blu-ray" has 3 formats, all of the same story done 3 different ways on a 2-disc collection set. I do understand the idea of packaging the DVD's that way, but it's way too costly for limited (story) use.

What I would like to see for the 50th anniversary DVD is not a 3-formats-in-one collection disc set, but special add-on features like the Doctor Who Confidentials, behind the scenes type of goodies, interviews, BLOOPERS? -- that sort of stuff.. those rare and interesting things few of the rest of us "whovians" never get to see, but might be interested in seeing --preserved forever.

At the moment (and mostly for limited financial reasons) I have no use for 3-D (probably never will), and would end up giving away 2 of the DVD's --which all three are apparently identical, but saved in different formats (3-D, blu-ray, standard DVD)-- so the 2 unused DVD's would most likely be given away to family members for their own collection. Or, do the 3-D glasses come with the set and work on a regular HD Tv set that isn't plasma or the fancy top of the line type of Tv set? And does size of Tv matter? not everyone I know can afford those giant 40-inch plus sized TV's (besides, those aren't worth watching when seeing the pixelations ruin the screen.. seen a few of those, and was not impressed, so we never bought into the hype of the newer, bigger Tv sets).

Anywho..
      I'd rather see one formatted type of DVD complete with all the extra goodies for the same price as a 3-in-one set, than end up with 3 of the same programs on separate disc formats without oodles of extras -- for the same price.

If anyone has any other info regarding the standard DVD being included for adding on possible earlier (classic time era) seasons, please update this news. Thanks!

Comment

BlogtorWho blogsite is reporting that the DVD/blu-ray set from the BBC that will be released as of December 2, 2013 will feature the following--

EXTRAS
        The Last Day – exclusive mini episode
        The Night of the Doctor – prequel starring Paul McGann
        Doctor Who Explained
        Behind the lens
        Early trailer
        50 year trailer.

Not sure if the same above items will be available on the version(s) that Amazon is releasing.
        Well, that's better than having only 3 items multiplied 2 or 3 times over in the same package.

Would love to see some blooper reels someday.. bloopers thru the entire 50 years would be a nice addendum..

Comment

http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/50th-an...aled-55730.htm
          Has a 50th Anniversary suprise been revealed (Please note, I have no clue what it is as the post itself has a spoiler tag hider on it and I don't want to click it...)

Comment

LOL. I'm not clicking it either Teddy. I don't want to know whatever it is.

Nathan Fillion, Chris Hardwick, William Shatner & More: Happy 50th Anniversary, Doctor Who!

Comment

"anything is possible in Doctor Who. But nothing is certain" non-spoilery, but intriguing for all
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Nolamom View Post
                "anything is possible in Doctor Who. But nothing is certain" non-spoilery, but intriguing for all
                Is this in response to the post I made?

Also, here are some screen shots from The Last Day, which is now available on iTunes
                http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/50th-mi...-day-55748.htm

Comment

Really? The Last Day is free in the US but here in the UK we have to pay £2.49?

I don't think I'll be watching that yet.

Tweet from John Hurt (@WithJohnHurt)

I'll be on The One Show on @BBCOne at 7pm tonight. #DoctorWho #SaveTheDay
                  A question. Do we think that John Hurt might accidentally give something important away? I might not watch the One Show until later. Don't want to be spoiled at this late stage.

Comment

Originally posted by Teddybrown View Post
                    Is this in response to the post I made?
                    Yes Teddy. I love how the good Doctor surprises us all the time.
                    sigpic

Comment

Terry Nation honoured with blue plaque

http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2013/11...113113917.html

Screenwriter Terry Nation was being honoured today with the unveiling of a blue plaque at the house in Wales where he was born.

The event was due to take place at midday at 113 Fairwater Grove West, Llandaff, Cardiff, just a few miles from where Doctor Who is now made.

Organised by the Llandaff Society, its chairman, Geoffrey Barton-Greenwood, told the BBC that he met the Dalek creator while the latter had been visiting friends in the area after his move to Hollywood.

He said:
                      I knew immediately who he was. I had been watching the Doctor Who series from the very beginning. I didn't at that stage know that he was a Llandaff boy. He was obviously a very impressive character. He had stature and gravitas.

There are stories of neighbours seeing him, as a boy, sitting on the back step jotting down story ideas in his notebook. He put the success of Doctor Who and the Daleks down to "good old-fashioned stories, lots of danger, with tremendous adversaries. And the Doctor beating big villains".
                      Nation was born in 1930 near fellow writer Roald Dahl, and Barton-Greenwood suggested that he might have been playing with the name of "Dahl" when he came up with "Dalek".

There is a connection in that they are "Daleks" and Roald "Dahl" was only from around the corner. I think Terry Nation might well have been having a play on words.

It would be an extreme coincidence that these guys came from such a short distance apart and yet came up with this sort of affinity.
                      In May 2002, blue Heritage Foundation plaques to the memory of William Hartnell, Patrick Troughton, and Jon Pertwee were unveiled at BBC TV Centre in London.

Comment

Originally posted by Alan
                        What the heck is going on???
                        I wonder if it may have something to do with

Spoiler:
                        the filming that Peter Davison was doing outside Television Centre, you know... the protest.
                        Last edited by Blencathra; 20 November 2013, 05:29 AM.

Comment

That's better.

Tweet from Doctor Who News (@DoctorWhoNews)

The BBC have confirmed the iTunes release of The Last Day, should be free to UK viewers. The charge is an error on the part of iTunes.

Comment

Originally posted by Blencathra View Post
                            That's better.

Tweet from Doctor Who News (@DoctorWhoNews)
                            I should say so too!

Blen, sorry for not responding to your response to my last post. Didn't want to open the spoiler tag or quote your post because it would have revealed the spoilered info anyway. I'll wait and see.

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,
                            K-9, CLASS and much more...

Comment

Is there a way to reply without seeing spoiler tagged stuff?

Also, looks like a new clips been released by the BBC, but cant view or link as at work...

Comment

No worries Alan, . I'm just the same. As Teddy said some more clips have been released by the BBC but I don't want to watch them. I want to be surprised by everything.

Teddy, I don't think there is a way to do it. Just not quote things I suppose.

Comment

Working...
                                X