Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think 'Rule #1' applies to most Science Fiction and Fantasy programmes.

I agree with Alan. We just have to wait and see what happens. I am sure the 50th will bring alot of surprises for all of us.
    "What do you mean by 'Oopps'?"
    Team Starfist protects all. But having a fully loaded P-90 helps...
    Reality is an illusion... Created by those who cannot handle Stargate...!
    Jankowski's Rules: Rule 1: Check your Six!
    I'm not perfect. But parts of me are excellent I also cook...!
    To thy own self... Be true
    May the odds.... Be ever in your favour..!

Comment

http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/the-day...s-hq-54016.htm
      HQ pics from 50th anniversary

Comment

Originally posted by rushy View Post
        "Force themselves back..."
        Is he serious?!

I'm sure most of those actors would love to return!
        Realistic however. 30 years on, they are not the same actors that they were when they played the good Doctor. I know that I couldn't become the person I was 30 years ago - even for a few days. That person doesn't exist for me any longer. It is wonderful to remember that person fondly, but to *become* her? No.
        sigpic

Comment

Is there only me who thinks there is something decidedly fishy about all this.

So we know that Peter Davison and Sylvester McCoy (and perhaps some others) are making a film that involves placards, protesting about no older Doctors being in the 50th.

We have Steven Moffat saying that "time has passed. It would be beyond the dignity of all those very fine actors to want to force themselves back into a costume from 20 or 30 years ago."

It's all very strange.

If there are no older Doctors in the 50th, why on earth would the BBC make, or allow to be made, a "protest" by these men? If they aren't in the 50th, it certainly isn't very funny or amusing to have a film about their disappointment, well not to me anyway. Now for them to make it, knowing full well that they are in the 50th, is more amusing to me.

I had heard some people saying that they thought this might have been made by Peter Davison himself (similar to the little vids he made for Gallifrey One). But is it the sort of thing he is likely to make? His previous vids were made specifically for Gally and take gentle digs at himself and his son-in-law. If he was making a "protest vid", no matter how tongue-in-cheek, it seems a lot more pointed and to be getting at the BBC and Steven Moffat.

Talking of Steven Moffat, we know he lies. As Alan said, Rule One applies here. I can think of a few reasons how to get the older Doctors in the story. I'm sure Steven Moffat can think of a gazillion more.

Now I had heard a rumour a few months ago but didn't say anything on here about it because it seemed to be in the realms of fairy tale and had absolutely nothing to back it up.

But I'll tell you about it anyway because it might go some way to explain Steven Moffat's comments. This might have absolutely no truth to it whatsoever, but it's an interesting idea.

Spoiler:

Remember back when the 50th was being filmed here in the UK, Peter Davison, Paul McGann, Colin Baker and Sylvester McCoy went to a Con in Australia and all said on TV, how could they be in the 50th Special when they were on the other side of the world in Australia?

All of them then went on to New Zealand for the Lords of Time Con in Auckland.

So what I'd heard was that while they were in New Zealand they were using Peter Jackson's facilities at Weta Workshop to make digital younger versions to use in the 50th. We know Peter Jackson is a fan, and the people at Weta made Paul McGann a sonic screwdriver (twice, as one was stolen). So not beyond the realms of possibility I think.

Also in the area (Oz/NZ) at the same time at various Cons were Louise Jameson (a few weeks earlier) Janet Fielding, Frazer Hines, Alex Kingston, Nicholas Briggs and John Leeson.

So I don't know if I believe it (won't Weta be busy making The Hobbit?). But it's an intriguing possibility.

Last edited by Blencathra; 16 October 2013, 02:07 AM.

Comment

Spoiler:
            They'd be busy editing the Hobbit, but no filming was taking place at the time, as far as I remember, so its possible that they could be involved with something...

Interesting idea though...

Comment

Originally posted by Teddybrown View Post
              Spoiler:
              They'd be busy editing the Hobbit, but no filming was taking place at the time, as far as I remember, so its possible that they could be involved with something...

Interesting idea though...
              Exactly.

Spoiler:

I can well imagine they would have the inclination, being big fans & all. It's the time factor that's the problem I think.

But it might explain why all these Who actors suddenly decided to go to the other side of the world earlier this year. I'm also fairly certain that Katy Manning went over to Oz for a holiday much earlier this year as well. )

Just five and a bit week before we find out!

Comment

Think we are due a trailer soon...

Comment

Think we are due a trailer soon...
                  But I bet we don't find out much more than we know already.

Originally posted by rushy View Post
                  Where did the whole Rule nr. 1 thing come from anyway?
                  What episode?
                  River Song says it a few times. The first time I think was in The Big Bang. Rule One, the Doctor lies.

Comment

Doctor Who given royal seal of approval
                    Countess of Wessex is to host 18 November reception for past and present cast and crew at Buckingham Palace to celebrate the show's 50th anniversary, RadioTimes.com can reveal
                    Written By
                    Ben Dowell
                    1:53 PM, 16 October 2013

Doctor Who will be given a royal seal of approval just days before its 50th birthday when the Countess of Wessex hosts a party at Buckingham Palace.

The Royal will throw the party on 18 November, just five days before the 50th anniversary on 23 November.

The Palace has not confirmed who will be invited, but cast and crew members past and present are expected, a BBC source confirmed to RadioTimes.com.

It is considered likely that the Countess has been chosen to host the event due to her fondness for the show. However, the Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall are also understood to be partial to the drama. When the couple went on set at the BBC’s Roath Lock studios in July The Prince of Wales was offered a role on the show after impressing the show's writer with his Dalek voice.

Charles uttered the Daleks' famous "exterminate" catchphrase into a voice modulator. Writer Steven Moffat said he thought he was "great".

He said: "I haven't thought about how I could weave a meeting between the Doctor and the royal family. But Prince Charles's attempt at being a Dalek was great.

"There would be a part in the show for him if he wanted it."

Link to original article here: http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2013-...al-of-approval

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,
                    K-9, CLASS and much more...

Comment

Can I just point out that the idea of
                      Spoiler:
                      The classic Doctors conspiring with Moffat to be in the 50th would quite possibly be the most awesome thing on the planet. I mean, if this is true, if it is... *fangasm*
                      "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/moffat-...ries-53951.htm
                        Apparently the 50th will change the course of the series...

Comment

http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/moffat-...ries-53951.htm
                          Apparently the 50th will change the course of the series...
                          I seem to recall seeing that in an interview 2-4 weeks ago, that it was going to be a game-changer.

Comment

And didn't Murray Gold say it would be controversial, or something like that.

I'm both excited and nervous at the same time.

Comment

Yeah, I'm starting to get a bit more nervous than excited now. Every comment Moffat makes now leaves me thinking "...really, Moffat?", and he's such a troll I have no idea if he's being genuine or screwing with us!

Time will tell.
                              And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
                              sigpic
                              Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

Indeed.

It won't be the first time our Great Troll King has said something like that.

Comment

Working...
                                X