• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Blencathra View Post
    From the Northern Echo

Dr Who - an apology

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/new...___an_apology/

WHO'S sorry now... within the last hour we have inadvertently upset Dr Who fans across the universe by breaking an embargo about the identity of some long lost episodes.

We would like to make it clear that this was a genuine mistake and we did not mean to cause consternation amongst followers of the Time Lord by leaping into the future.

Following a twitter storm, and a phone call from BBC Worldwide, our website has been "doctored" to remove the offending details.

Within eight minutes the story has become the most read on our website. Sadly, we are unable to go back in time and undo our abominable mistake so we can only sincerely apologise.

For those who missed it, all will be revealed on northernecho.co.uk at midnight.

The man responsible has been exterminated by popular demand.
    At least they gave a fun apology.
    sigpic

Comment

Presenting for purchase from United Kingdom iTunes:

THE ENEMY OF THE WORLD

and:

THE WEB OF FEAR

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,
      K-9, CLASS and much more...

Comment

The Web of Fear on itunes - https://itunes.apple.com/us/tv-seaso...ar/id704945256

The Enemy of the World on itunes - https://itunes.apple.com/gb/tv-seaso...ld/id704921951

Edit - Double post Better twice than not at all.

Comment

Artwork for the DVDs of The Web of Fear & Enemy of the World

http://blogtorwho.blogspot.co.uk/201...-fear-dvd.html

Comment

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Alan View Post
                Presenting for purchase from United Kingdom iTunes:

THE ENEMY OF THE WORLD

and:

THE WEB OF FEAR
                Originally posted by Blencathra View Post
                The Web of Fear on itunes - https://itunes.apple.com/us/tv-seaso...ar/id704945256

The Enemy of the World on itunes - https://itunes.apple.com/gb/tv-seaso...ld/id704921951

Edit - Double post Better twice than not at all.
                Absolutely.

Two ‘missing’ Doctor Who adventures found
                By Christopher Allen on Thursday 10 October 2013

Film recordings of eleven episodes of Doctor Who – nine of which were considered ‘lost’ - have been discovered in Nigeria.

All six episodes of The Enemy of the World and five of The Web of Fear were found by Phillip Morris, director of Television International Enterprises Archive, in a television relay station in Jos, central Nigeria.

Morris tracked records of shipments made by the BBC to Africa, that contained tapes for transmission. BBC Worldwide is currently re-mastering these episodes to restore them to the fantastic quality that audiences expect from Doctor Who. The titles will launch exclusively on iTunes at 00.01 on October 11, 2013.

The pair of sequential adventures were originally screened on the BBC as part of Doctor Who’s fifth season, for 12 weeks between December 1967 and March 1968. They star Patrick Troughton as the Doctor, with Frazer Hines and Deborah Watling as companions Jamie and Victoria.

The Enemy of the World sees Troughton take on the dual-role of both the Doctor and his antagonist, Salamander, in a thrilling tale of spies, natural disasters and one man’s desire to control the whole world. The Enemy of the World will be released exclusively on iTunes on October 11. A DVD is also available for pre-order now from BBC Shop, and will be in stores from November 22.

Also recovered is the 1968 story, The Web of Fear. Unfortunately, Episode Three is still missing but reconstruction has been made this using still image ‘telesnaps’ of the episode and the original audio soundtrack, which has been restored. The story introduces Nicholas Courtney as Colonel Lethbridge-Stewart (who later returns as the Brigadier) and sees the Doctor do battle with the Great Intelligence for a second time. The Web of Fear will be released exclusively on iTunes on 11 October, and will be released on DVD in early 2014.

Phillip Morris says, “The tapes had been left gathering dust in a store room at a television relay station in Nigeria. I remember wiping the dust off the masking tape on the canisters and my heart missed a beat as I saw the words ‘Doctor Who’. When I read the story code I realised I’d found something pretty special.”

Fiona Eastwood, Director of Consumer Products, BBC Worldwide comments: “We are thrilled with the recent discovery of The Web of Fear and The Enemy of the World and we’re very happy to be working with iTunes on bringing remastered versions of these treasured episodes to fans as we celebrate the 50th year of Doctor Who.”

Link to original article here: http://www.doctorwho.tv/whats-new/ar...ventures-found

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,
                K-9, CLASS and much more...

Comment

Comment

Comment

Doctor Who Magazinre have a new website - http://www.doctorwhomagazine.com/

They have this article.

THE ENEMY OF THE WORLD & THE WEB OF FEAR – FOUND!!

http://www.doctorwhomagazine.com/the...of-fear-found/

In what has proven to be the single biggest discovery of missing Doctor Who episodes ever, nine lost installments from the Patrick Troughton era have been found and returned to the BBC.

Episodes 1, 2, 4, 5 and 6 of 1967/68’s The Enemy of the World join the already-held third episode of the story, meaning that the entire six-part adventure is once more complete in the BBC archives. But that’s not all – Episodes 2, 4, 5 and 6 of the following adventure, The Web of Fear, have also been recovered. With Episode 1 of the story already existing in the archive, the story is now five-sixths complete, with only Episode 3 remaining lost.

Both stories are from Doctor Who’s fifth series, and star Patrick Troughton as the Second Doctor, Frazer Hines as Jamie McCrimmon, and Deborah Watling as Victoria Waterfield. The Enemy of the World famously sees Troughton also play the role of the villainous Salamander, while The Web of Fear features the introduction of a legendary Doctor Who character – Colonel (later Brigadier) Lethbridge-Stewart, played by Nicholas Courtney. The film recordings were discovered by Philip Morris, director of Television International Enterprises Archives, who is interviewed in the new issue of Doctor Who Magazine, published on Thursday 17 October.

“These films were discovered in Nigeria,” Philip exclusively tells DWM. “They weren’t actually at the station they were sold to, they were at a relay station. In Nigeria they have an internal bicycling system. We had the privilege of working with the Nigerian Television Authority, who have been a great help to us in determining what they had of their own recordings and overseas recordings. Fortunately for us, I was at a station, and I saw a piece of masking tape on a shelf. I looked up and it said ‘Doctor Who’. And I thought, ‘That looks interesting!’ I pulled a film can down and I saw the story code: ‘Doctor Who. PP’. I thought, PP, let me have a check. I checked on my list and realised this was an episode of The Enemy of the World. So I pulled that can down, I saw there were six cans, and I thought, okay, there are six cans, so it’s possibly complete – but we’ll have to check that the contents match the cans, as cans get reused, or people put things in the wrong place. Then I counted another set of cans, which was Episodes 1 to 6 of The Web of Fear, except Episode 3. Episode 3 was not amongst them. So I checked those, they were complete, and I thought ‘Well, that’s not too bad!’”

Today’s news was confirmed at a BBC Worldwide press event, attended by Frazer Hines and Deborah Watling – alias Jamie and Victoria. Both were thrilled to see the episodes again… and to be presented with a copy of the brand new issue of Doctor Who Magazine, which celebrates this news!

“When I heard I couldn’t quite believe it!” says Deborah. “I mean, there have been hoaxes before, let’s face it. I thought, ‘No it’s just another hoax.’ A lot of my episodes were trashed, or recorded over. There’s only one old storyline of mine which exists, The Tomb of the Cybermen, which is a great story. It stands up very well. But after a few days, it was confirmed… ish! And I thought, ‘I’m still not going to believe it, I’m not going to raise my hopes, thank you very much, after all these years!’ And then I got it from a higher authority and I thought, ‘My God, I’ll be back on the screen again!’ All these years later and I can see some of the work I did as a young 19-year-old. It’s amazing, and I loved watching it. And it brought back so much to me, and the people I worked with as well. I’m thrilled, that’s all I can say. I’m thrilled.”

“Me too,” adds Frazer. “This now gives me hope that more stories of Patrick’s will come out of the woodwork, so to speak. When I found out, Debbie was at a convention, and she said ‘Have you heard the news?’ I said, ‘What news?’ She said ‘Oh, I can’t tell you!’ So I gave her a Chinese burn! And she said ‘All right I’ll tell you, I’ll tell you!’”

The Enemy of the World and The Web of Fear will be available on iTunes from Friday 11 October.

The Enemy of the World will be released on BBC DVD on Monday 25 November 2013, and The Web of Fear DVD will be released in early 2014

Comment

And a rather interesting tweet from @Telegraph_TV

No word from the BBC whether any more Doctor Who episodes were actually found in the haul (we did ask).
                        Personally I think they have more. But I'm content to watch and wait & see what happens.
                        Last edited by Blencathra; 10 October 2013, 03:39 PM.

Comment

Interview with Phillip Morris

Comment

They really did an excellent job on that remastering! The clips look terrific.
                            sigpic

Comment

Somebody has already updated wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Enemy_of_the_World

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Web_of_Fear

Comment

Originally posted by Nolamom View Post
                                They really did an excellent job on that remastering! The clips look terrific.
                                They do don't they! Wonderful!!

I've been trying to Pre-order Enemy at the BBC Shop but their website seems to have crashed. Oh well. Try again in the morning.

Comment

Working...
                                X