This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Metarock Sam
    Mickey makes 2 plus they could have another companion making 3. I mean come on there are many other TV series where there is a main cast of 4 people take My Name Is Earl for example that has 22 episodes per season and is set to run for 7 seasons.
    Well, many view 4 as excessive and redundant for Doctor Who. That's why I asked.

Comment

Read TWoP's recap of Rose and TEOTW, both rated A. They are long (~18 pages each) but provide some hilarious commentary and pop culture references.

The TEOTW recaplet was originally graded a D but he has since come full circle and explains what blinded him in the first viewing.

Some funny bits:
      * a BSG Sharon mention (he recaps BSG)
      * a Black Eye Peas one liner
      * what would each character drink? Rose, Jackie, Mickey, the Doctor??

http://www.televisionwithoutpity.com/show.cgi?show=167

Comment

Im sure the news series can manage 4. It worked well in BoomTown....
        Oh Yes the Sam is Back and hes more Sci-fied up than ever !!!!!!!!!

Coming Soon a new Banner from Me

Comment

Im sure the news series can manage 4. It worked well in BoomTown....
          Mickey really wasn't a companion then.

The reason many think the whole companion thing needs to be restricted is because they believe it hinders overall character development and takes opportunities away the non-regular characters.

Now personally speaking, I think it opens up more opportunies and begs for more complex and involved stories; however, I think RTD is looking to keep the show simple for the time being.

I liked the stories with "Ian, Barbara, & Susan"; "Ian, Barbara, & Vicki", "Polly, Ben, & Jamie"; "Adric, Nyssa, & Tegan"; and even "Nyssa, Tegan, & Turlough".

But from the Second Doctor on, the series had changed and the writers seemed to have a much harder time juggling three companions.

Comment

yes but as you said Adric Nyssa and Tegan aswell as Nyssa Tegan and Turlough worked and they were in the 5th Doctor Saga.

Comment

yes but as you said Adric Nyssa and Tegan aswell as Nyssa Tegan and Turlough worked and they were in the 5th Doctor Saga.
              Um, I think you misread the intent of my prior messages.

I enjoyed the "three companion" paradigm, but that doesn't mean I thought it was always effective.

The format of the series has vastly changed.

By JNT's time, the "three companion" paradigm wasn't used to its full potential.
              In that case, they had limited time per episode and their choice was to focus on plot, so one character was often left out in the cold for that story.

So far, in RTD's tenure, there is much more focus on characterization.

Would I like to see three companions? Yes.

Do I think RTD would go for that many companions when we are limited to 45-minute episodes of, at most, two parts? Unlikely.

Do I think three companions would allow for the production of more episodes? Potentially, yes...as long as they were willing to reduce the presence of the Doctor in the show and allow the companions to pick up some more slack.

The Hartnell era was the only time when the Doctor's role was significantly reduced. And it worked very well.

For a show called Stargate SG-1, that's not a problem.
              For a show called Doctor Who, there's the issue of the whole series hinging on the actions of the title character. That usually requires that actor to be present much more than others.
              How many weeks of 14 hour days can the lead actor be asked to endure?

Comment

Originally posted by Nuallain
                That's very good. I hope TEC wins, myself. Hopefully, too, this will encourage fans of BSG and SG to check it out - after all if four of the thirteen episodes are better (according to Hugo) than nineteen of the twenty BSG eps, then surely the show rocks, yes?
                Oh, please... I love both shows but all that proves is that there are more Who shippers in the membership this year than Galactica shippers. With all due respect, I just can't take seriously a body that gave the best dramatic presentation two years back to 'Gollum's' (admittedly very funny) acceptance speech for best virtual performance at the 2003 MTV Movie Awards. God...

Comment

And at the risk of being pedantic Dr Who is NOT nominated for three Hugos. It has received three nominations for one award.

Comment

April 15 has been confirmed! It's in the new issue of the DWM. Press release tomorrow, and the trailers and stuff will commence then, too.

Comment

I still think they can pull off 3 companions heck in school reunion there is going 4 companions together. And they need not reduce the Doctors role aswell.

Comment

according to DWO its been confirmed for ages.

Comment

First trailer just aired on BBC 1 half an hour ago. Awesomeness! It's also on-line at http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/news/...01/30852.shtml

Spoiler:

That werewolf looks awesome! And those creepy flying creatures are... really creepy!

Comment

Ooh that was cool! The special effects are even better than last series! I missed the BBC1 trailer, but thanks to the wonders of 21st century technology, I was able to watch the online version. There was nothing on the actual air date, the trailer only said "Coming Soon...".
                            "Captain, you almost make me believe in luck."

Comment

Woo, just 2 weeks left! And did you see the "Tardisode" ? Little prequel to the first episode, this isnt enough to tide me over.... Im bouncing off the walls here waiting for the 15th
                              Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
                              - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

Comment

The trailer also aired on BBC 2 right just before 8.30 pm, right after Planet Earth.

Only two weeks to go... but it's gonna be a long wait!

Love the TARDISode, too. They're apparently doing a whole bunch of them. And the new spoof websites are very interesting, too.

Comment

Working...
                                X