This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Because Sci-Fi beat them to it
    Oh Yes the Sam is Back and hes more Sci-fied up than ever !!!!!!!!!

Coming Soon a new Banner from Me

Comment

Originally posted by Drwho'srose
      Alright maybe not fair to you but I don't quite get what you are trying to say.

Bad that they talked about RTD sexuality?

Good if they don't mention it at all?

Shouldn't matter?

What has Brokeback Mountain got to do with anything anyway? As I said I don't get where you are coming from with this response.
      My point is that I'm an openly gay man who goes to work and wants to judged on the quality of my work - it's part of my life, not what I want to defined by. I happen to think the New York Times - America's so-called "newspaper of record" - could have come up with a slightly more relevant hook for a story about the man who brought to the screen a smash hit revival of one of the most beloved properties in SF than his sexuality. What about his distinguished career as a writer? The not entirely smooth path he had bringing his vision of the Doctor to air? Or something about the iconic place Dr Who has in British pop culture, even 16 years after it had been (effectively) cancelled.

Sorry, but wouldn't you find something a little queer (pun intended) about a BSG related feature story that made such heavy weather of Ronald D. Moore's (hetero)sexuality? I just don't see the point - unless it's another straight journalist in a MSM outlet who wants to show just how "tolerant" they are.

Comment

Oh, well if Cbs got I probly wouldn't get to see it any way.
        Tis No Fool to lose what He can not keep, To gain what he will never Lose

Comment

Originally posted by creed462
          then why didn't CBS pick it up
          I said CBC believed in it. CBC is the Canadian Broadcasting Company.

Sorry for the confusion.

FYI, CBC are co-producers in the "silent partner" way. They aired Series One 10 days after the UK broadcast of each episode last year. And they got introductions from Billie Piper and Christopher Eccleston. This year, though, they are airing it later because of Hockey season. Hockey is their major ratings draw.

Comment

Originally posted by Metarock Sam
            Well we may have a problem as the viewing figures in the uk did go down a bit mid season (excluding Dalek)and it wasnt until the Empty Child that they picked up again over here although things might be different stateside.
            Not exactly accurate. "Rose" got 10 million viewers. The next week it went down to 7 million. The series maintained a 7 million average (never dipping below 6 million) and a 40% audience share through out its run. But as the weather got better and the days longer, the number of television viewers dropped. Hence the series got lower numbers for TEC yet maintained a 40% audience share.

Doctor Who airs later in the US. It'll be dark by the time everyone can watch it (except for West Coast satellite viewers who get an East Coast feed). May make a difference.

In the UK, "Rose" and "Dalek" were the sweeps time episodes, aka "event" eps. A lot of people tuned into Rose just to see what the remake was like. And some tuned into Dalek to see what the iconic villains were like in New Who.

The remarkable thing for Doctor Who in the UK last year was that it was the ratings success of the year. It got "Lost" type numbers in audience share.

Comment

Here are some charts that describe the UK ratings, courtesy of some wonderful fans at OG.

Ratings (number of viewers in millions) and TV shares (of all TVs on how many where tuned to the show)

Appreciation Index - Of those who saw the show enjoyed it?

The ratings may have plateaued because of the summer but the TV shares continued to remain strong through out the season. Out of all the TVs used while Who was airing, 40% of them were tuned into BBC1 on Saturdays at 7pm.

Comment

Thanks lastro (good posting btw, everywhere)

I just hope the US manages to put up some good numbers. I really hope Americans fall in love with the show like I and my family did. At least then we will definitely get Series 2 over here.

Comment

Yes but they would be showing the Christmas Special in May if they Did that.
                  So? They will show the Christmas special in Australia I assume before they screen season 28 (2) and they will then be screening it in June or July.

Comment

Was he in an episode of Black Books? Or am I thinking of someone else?

Comment

I do get your point I just think its out of place. Thats all
                      Oh Yes the Sam is Back and hes more Sci-fied up than ever !!!!!!!!!

Coming Soon a new Banner from Me

Comment

I do get your point I just think its out of place. Thats all
                        You get use to seeing Christmas episodes on Australian TV in June and July it is just what seems to happen when foreign programmes get run.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan T Man
                          Dalek bread?!
                          ROFLMAO!!!!
                          Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
                          - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

Comment

I don't think it will be a problem to see the christmas special in august
                            Tis No Fool to lose what He can not keep, To gain what he will never Lose

Comment

Listen to SciFi's VP of Programming, Thomas Vitale interview on SciFiOverdrive.

http://www.lifestyletalkradio.com/we...ves/sfod.shtml
                              Click on "03/11/06 - Hour 2".

Mr. Vitale talks about Doctor Who on SciFi.
                              * SciFi is attempting to stretch its original programming year round (as we've witnessed with BSG moving to Oct)
                              * Mr. Vitale stresses that the show is not your "father's oldsmobile"; its updated w/ a budget, special F/X and great drama
                              * new viewers will see the show hit its full stride after episode 5
                              * he recommends Doctor Who fans tell friends, families and neighbors about the show and that its different from the old series
                              * fans should contact their local newspapers, in small and large cities, and have them review the show
                              Last edited by lastro; 12 March 2006, 09:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by lastro
                                Listen to SciFi's VP of Programming, Thomas Vitale interview on SciFiOverdrive.

http://www.lifestyletalkradio.com/we...ves/sfod.shtml
                                Click on "03/11/06 - Hour 2".

he recommends Doctor Who fans tell friends, families and neighbors about the show and that its different from the old series
                                * fans should contact their local newspapers, in small and large cities, and have them review the show
                                So we have to do his job for him? How much has SciFi actually been promoting the show outside the channel? I know they only have the rights and don't make it but still once again it is left to the fans to spread the word.

Thanks for the link.

Comment

Working...
                                X